Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sounds like he may be reviewing the Handera device next week.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Looks like he liked the Clie better than the m505.

On Clie's color screen:

"Most notable among these is the screen -- it is a bright, vivid color display that is better than any of the others I've seen from Palm or Handspring, the second-biggest maker of Palm-compatible hand-helds. The Sony screen offers twice the resolution of a standard Palm or Handspring screen, so fonts are thinner and sharper and photos look much better. Sony's display puts to shame Palm's own new color model, the m505."

On m505's color screen (from 3-29)

"BUT THERE IS ONE big problem with Palm's new "m" series: the screen on the color model, the m505. It's so dim, dark and dull that I can't recommend spending the extra $50 to get it. At some angles, it's tough to tell the screen is even in color. And even with the backlight on, which helps a lot but eats battery power, the m505's screen looks pallid and weak compared with the color displays on Handspring's Visor Prism or Compaq's iPAQ Pocket PC.'
    Fat's
  4. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    The article has now been archived:
    http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20010503.html
    - $120 for a decent memory stick for music?
    - 3 hrs playback time?
    - no decent add-on devices until 1Q 2002?

The WSJ's comments about the MP3 player and few expansion options make the new CLIE sound like just a vanity piece with very low return for your dollar. Shore is purty though....
    Originally posted by dshorter
    - 3 hrs playback time?

The WSJ's comments about the MP3 player and few expansion options make the new CLIE sound like just a vanity piece with very low return for your dollar.
    Agreed. I'm liking my edge more and more.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  7. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dshorter
    - 3 hrs playback time?
    Well, a 64MB MMC card will run you about $100, too. 3 hrs playback time is with the screen on for three hours AND playing music. Running a Prism screen constantly (without any modules) will only get you 6 hours continuous use (http://www.handspring.com/products/v.../details.jhtml), so considering there is 4x as many pixels as well as audio, 3 hrs isn't that bad in comparison (of course, we'd all prefer that the Prism run for twice as long, but that's the state of battery tech today...) I wonder how long the Prism would run with the screen on constantly AND the soundgood/minijam playing continuously?

It's true that there will be no real non-memory expansion devices that use the MemoryStick slot for a year... probably about the same for Palm and the SD slot. Of course, this all depends on what you want to use the expansion slot for. You don't need it for an MP3 player, since that's built-in, but if you are dying for GPS or a camera add-on module, then your only choice is Handspring (for PalmOS, at least)
    That WSJ guy doesn't know much about the MP3 players that he's comparing the clie to. No $120 player contains 64MB of RAM, and as Rob said any 64MB card costs around 3 figures. And 11 hours of MP3 playback time (did the guy actually test this or is this from a press kit/web site) is pretty much standard for MP3 players.

But yeah if all you want is MP3 then there's no reason to buy a $500 Clie. Duh.
    In and of itself, the new Clié looks like a good product, but I wouldn't get one this year, or until the Stowaway and some wireless connectivity solution (a module or cell phone cable) is available. It'll probably be popular with people who aren't big on expansion solutions (viz. the popularity of the m100) but want a better screen. But $120 isn't all that bad for a 64MB MS to play MP3s, compared to $149 for the SoundsGood.

I'm more and more convinced that the Springboard slot if the most versatile expansion technology for handhelds, since SB modules either exist or are imminent for other card types: CF, MS and SD. And the demands of miniaturization with discourage developers from pouring too much R&D into anything but content/memory-centric modules for SD and MS slots.

Until I start seeing more accessories for the Clié, I'll stick with the Prism.
  10. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Gameboy70
    In and of itself, the new Clié looks like a good product, but I wouldn't get one this year, or until the Stowaway and some wireless connectivity solution (a module or cell phone cable) is available.
    Like this?

Don't know about the wireless conn, although I thought I saw a serial-port add-on somewhere that lets you connect via a cable to a GPS phone (or you could use IR...)
    Yeah, like that!
    Mannn, I want to work for the WSJ when I grow up... too late, oh well. A new gadget every week to play with then post your opinion about. The WSJ wine people go to liquor stores and buy 50 wines every week or go on some wine travel adventure. I HATE THEM.

There is a cnet review (http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...30-405-5756207) which mentions if you load up all of the multimedia software along with a reasonable contact list and calendar there is no room left for 3rd party apps. They made a point by comparing it to the ipaq which comes with a lot more memory for huge apps which take advantage of graphics.

Quote from the cnet review:
    "While it successfully delivers new entertainment applications, the CLIE also suffers from the same sort of software bloat we've seen on Pocket PCs"
    The article ends with:
    "Less-expensive, more single-minded options are a better choice if you're fond of the elegant and useful Palm OS. Otherwise, Compaq's iPaq H3650 is still the best rich-multimedia PDA."

If I were going to spend $500 on a PDA, I personally would buy an Ipaq after reading these very good points.
    I'm confused about that cnet article... He said the Clie memory filled up after he loaded the multimedia programs. Aren't those stuck on the ROM? What's the 4MB ROM used for?

"Sony took careful notes on the Compaq iPaq's slight form factor" ???

"[The 320-by-320 pixel screen] has three times as many pixels as all previous Palm devices" ???
  14. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    I think the Cnet reviewer is confused (to put it nicely). First of all, there are four times as many pixels on the SC2 as on other PalmOS devices: (320x320)=(2*160)x(2*160) = 4*(160x160). If the guy can't figure that out, I'm not sure I'd trust him on the rest.

Second, I don't know what he means by 'filling up' the memory with multimedia...music, photos, and videos are intented to run off of the MemoryStick cards. The 8MB of main memory is not really intended for that. It's the same with the m50x, visor w/ MemPlug, and TRGPro/Handera. He is right that the iPaq has more main memory, although I'm not sure how much of a difference it ultimately makes -- PPC programs tend to be larger than their PalmOS counterparts, plus you have to segment your memory between application/file storage and actual application run-time memory. And if you end up having more multimedia files than will fit on your iPaq, you have to get a bulky CF or PCMCIA card 'sleeve' (see http://www.brighthand.com/html/palmo...505_page1.html for some size comparisons)
    Last edited by Rob; 05/04/2001 at 11:12 AM.
    Don't you mean reviewer from cnet, not WSJ?
    Fat's
    Originally posted by Rob

Like this?
    Hey, where'd you find THAT? Thinkoutside and Targus don't have it...
    Walt Mossberg is one of the most respected reviewers in the industry.

Write him at mossberg@wsj.com if you don't agree with him or have a coment or question. He normally responds.

http://ptech.wsj.com/
    Last edited by Charo; 05/04/2001 at 09:56 AM.
  18. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    Don't you mean reviewer from cnet, not WSJ?
    Yup, Cnet -- that's what I said! (don't you just love the edit/delete button?)
  19. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Hey, where'd you find THAT? Thinkoutside and Targus don't have it...
    If you right-click on the image and select 'view image', then you will go to the url directly (or you can
    copy link location, etc.):
    http://clie.idv.tw/images/05b.jpg
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by Charo
    Walt Mossberg is one of the most respected reviewers in the industry.
    He certainly is. Walt is great man, I have a deep respect for his opinions. Although sometimes he has a tendency to behave like a grumpy old curmudgeon.

Mossberg is among my favorite tech journalists/pundits, which are; John C. Dvorak (you can't help but love Dvorak!), Dan Gilmor, Walt Mossberg, and David Coursey. And it that order.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast