62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clie!!!

35 56.45%
  • m505!!!

13 20.97%
  • neither!!!

14 22.58%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I looked at the M505 again today. I am gonna stick with my Prism for sure. I actually had them next to each other and you can see the Prism kicks the M505 in the ***. Graphics look a hundred times better on my Prism.

The size factor is the only area the Palm M505 wins.

I read an acticle at the New Times website and the writer called the 505 a dud that needs to be avoided at all cots.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/10/te...gy/10STAT.html

The more I look at the M505 the more I don't like it. Palm could have inovated it a lot more all they did as put a Prism in a Palm V case with a really dim screen and added a proprietary slot.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    I am fascinated by the Sony because of the high resolution. An added benefit is that it shouldn't have a problem with the famous 'black grid' because of it's higher resolution.

The MP3 playback is vaguely interesting, but I don't want to carry headphones with me all of the time and the impact on battery life makes the feature almost unusable (for me).

The size is not too bad. It appears to be the same as the mono Clie but slight thicker. Based on using the current model, this will fell very good in your hand, but be a little too thick for ideal pocketability. The stylus looks the same as the one in the previous version. That's fine 'cause the Clie has the best standard stylus that I have ever used - I have never even considered a replacement.

If Sony comes out with a version that doesn't have any music capability and charges $399, I will be on it in a minute.

mikedemo - After slightly more than a week using my m505, I find the screen more than adequate indoors. It looks incredible outdoors. Game play (Zap 2016) is faster and smoother than on any other color Palm OS device. At this point, the Prism has been relegated to a test/debug machine (my wife has already claimed the IIIc).

Actually, I am wondering if the screen has some kind of break-in period. It seems to look much better now than it did when I first got it. Oh well, it could just be me adjusting to it. I did pick up the Prism to look at something on it last night and the first thing that I did was to turn down the brightness.

Whatever is going on with the display brightness, the m505 is absolutely great.

But I still haven't decided between the m500 and the Edge as the best mono device (mainly 'cause I can't put down the m505 long enough to spend more time with the other two).
    Originally posted by ****-richardson

And you think the HE is going to have a larger user base? Why? If you're saying you'd buy the HE because of features, the Sony has it beat on every point except proprietary memory expansion
    Sony has it beat, but is $150 more. HE has a higher value/dollar ratio. And yes, both HE slots can be used at once.
    Last edited by Slot_Machine; 05/11/2001 at 03:03 PM.
    "That IS a Palm III form-factor in my pocket, AND I'm happy to see you...."
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    If Sony comes out with a version that doesn't have any music capability and charges $399, I will be on it in a minute.
    That's what a lot of people are thinking right now.
  5. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by VTL
    I finally got to play with a M505, just at a local CompUSA. It wasn't as bad as I'd heard. The screen is a bit dim under those conditions, but not terrible, particularly with the sidelight on.
    I think there is quite a lot of variability in m505 screens. Both from what I've read on various sites/forums, and my own experience (I've seen two demo units, and accidentally have two of my own -- web order shipped the same day that I found it at OD...the OD one is going back today), some screens are whiter that others (some are slightly gold, yellow, or even blue tinted) and some seem to have stronger/brighter backlights. I'm very happy with the color and brightness of mine, but annoyed that there is one speck of white dust under the screen right in the middle!

As for the clie vs. m505, I agree with brad that the clie will probably feel good to hold, but not as comfortable/convenient to carry (much like a Visor Platinum vs. Palm Vx). If you use a belt clip it might not matter, but in a pocket (esp. a shirt pocket) the thickness and weight makes all the difference. I love having a color screen in the Palm V form factor, but that hi-res screen is looking mighty tempting (and MP3 is really cool, but I also have concerns about whether the battery will make it through the day of a power user like myself...)
    Check out these interesting pix of 505 screen vs. gameboy color.

http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~chiry/palm/palm_m505.htm
    From Wahoo: Check out these interesting pix of 505 screen vs. gameboy color.
    Right now I could roll off a lot of geek-speak to express my horror at the results of your comparison. Instead I'll just sum up my thoughts by saying that this is just a damn shame.... I knew than Palm's CEO, Yankowski, Yankoff, whatever was bad, bad, news from the beginning.
    Last edited by Slot_Machine; 05/17/2001 at 08:50 PM.
    Originally posted by Wahoo
    Check out these interesting pix of 505 screen vs. gameboy color.

http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~chiry/palm/palm_m505.htm
    That is just pityful. Palm is realy scaring me. Maybe PPC will win the war.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123