1.    #1  
    They Office Depot on Oaklawn and Cedar Springs in Dallas has 4 m505's left. I got the first one. And I only bought one. Let's all be considerate and not be greedy for ebay.

The screen: it's not that bad, really. Had I thought it was going to be like the iiic, then I would be disappointed. But I thought it was going to totally SUCK, and it does not--with the backlight turned on. Without the backlight it's comparable to the ipaq in sunlight without its backlight.

I feel the screen overall is better than the prism simply because the black grid isn't very noticeable. That is worth alot to me. But the screen is nowhere near as bright, but it's good enough if you ask me.

Email with more questions. I have pics to prove I have it, but by now there are so many people claiming they have it I don't think I'll be labeled a false prophet.

It is 1:10 pm right now, central time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I wast out and about this morning and the local Office Depot didn't have theirs yet so good to you snookerthepooky. However, it's interesting that your first post to Visor Central is to annouce a Palm device.

Let the rest of us know though how the screen functions in sunlight and other lighting situations as we await our own M505 etc.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  3. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    He made the exact same post on palminfocenter and another one on pdabuzz, so I guess he's pretty excited to be one of the first with a Palm m505 and wants to tell everyone about it.
    Last edited by Rob; 05/02/2001 at 02:24 PM.
    I can't blame him however his 15 minutes of fame will be over as soon as someone gets the new Sony Clie due the end of the month and then the Handera after that.....it's so fleeting!
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  5.    #5  
    Well, upon further review, the m505 isn't as good as I thought--and yes, it's only an hour later.

While the brightness is acceptable to me, alot of my earlier post, I must admit, was just unbridled emotion.

Now that I realize it's just a material thing like everything else, I can be more critical.

I also have the m500, and the clarity of the m500 is just too much better. The palms are all about reading text mainly, and for text the m500 is just so much better, in all conditions except perhaps those funky intermediate conditions of light.

The thing I can not accept, and I know I won't change on this, is the vibrancy of the colors. If I may prophesy, I predict that what causes these m505s to be returned is the colors and not the brightness. I realized that oh my gosh the reds, yellows, blues, etc are all very muted and just not bright. The ipaq is much better in terms of this. And the brightness could be brighter, but it's not all that bad. It's that the colors do really look faded out and washed out.
    I think the casual person might keep the m505, but not me. I think once the new Sony comes out, it's GAME OVER for the m505, not matter what its cool form factor. By the way, the m505 is a little bigger than the m500, but in that it's advertised as the same size as the palm vx, basically, is totally accurate. It's small and you can not tell the difference between the m500 and m505 without having the two side by side.

For me, I got the m500 for $325 including the 16 mb card, at staples after pricematch. The m505, was $449. It is completely and utterly not worth it to me. Time won't change my mind. Only a hardware fix will. If the m505 had the same screen as the prism, it'd be worth it. But nope, they say 65,000 brilliant colors? I say it's more like barely color.

Borderline brightness.

Felt compelled to repost so that I did not lead a couple hundred people astray.

Thank my God for Office Depot's no restocking fee. I told them upfront that there's a chance I'll be back in an hour.

Aaargggh....the m500 is the palm to get right now. I really feel like the m505 will still sell alot, but it will not be the palm diehards like us who get it.
    I have to have the palm v form factor, and to me I won't even look back at the m505 anymore.

Although I realize the need to "see for yourself," I'd definitely urge you to practice self-discipline unlike myself and wait for the reviews that will inevitably pop up soon. Or look at a store display model first before buying. Only buy from a place with a good return policy, otherwise you're stuck.

Plus my launcher III does not work at all with the m505. works with the m500. beats me, i don' tknow why. So Oh well.

I've learned my lesson: wait.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Rob
    He made the exact same post on palminfocenter and another one on pdabuzz, so I guess he's pretty excited to be one of the first with a Palm m505 and wants to tell everyone about it.

Yup, I sure did make those posts, and now I've embarrassed myself b/c the m505 isn't worth it in my opinion.

I read your m500 review and now I have one of those, and I'm keeping the m500. That was an easy choice for me.

goodness, I better change my username or something so I can start afresh with my rep
  7. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by snookerthepooky

Yup, I sure did make those posts, and now I've embarrassed myself b/c the m505 isn't worth it in my opinion.

I read your m500 review and now I have one of those, and I'm keeping the m500. That was an easy choice for me.

goodness, I better change my username or something so I can start afresh with my rep
    Heh, don't worry about it. After all, Foo Fighter spent weeks hyping the iPaq and trashing Palm, and we haven't kicked him out yet! (j/k Foo)
    Originally posted by Rob

Heh, don't worry about it. After all, Foo Fighter spent weeks hyping the iPaq and trashing Palm, and we haven't kicked him out yet! (j/k Foo)
    Rob - correct but we did convert him perhaps snooker will convert and decide to keep the M505 after playing with it for more than an hour.

Snooker - your rep is intact there is no harm in being emotional and being the first to post....most of us have done it....you might have to explain the "handle" though and let us in on what snookerthepooky means unless it's totally personal.
    Moose Man
    What about the review at http://www2.pdabuzz.com/Forums/showt...threadid=16423

he sounds better, pictures are very nice...

Can't wait to get mine!!
  10. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by RSGMOOSE
    Snooker - your rep is intact there is no harm in being emotional and being the first to post....most of us have done it....you might have to explain the "handle" though and let us in on what snookerthepooky means unless it's totally personal.
    From the sound of it, I'd be more worried about it being...inappropriate for younger audiences (like miradu2000 - heh) rather than being too personal. (I'm making fun of everybody today)
  11. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by snookerthepooky
    Thank my God for Office Depot's no restocking fee. I told them upfront that there's a chance I'll be back in an hour.
    p.s. snooker, if you haven't already returned it, you might try selling it on eBay...I saw some that went for $575+ and that was for a promise to ship whenever the seller received them ("expected in the first week of May") If you post on eBay with a short duration and "In Hand" as part of the title, I bet you could make more.
    Originally posted by Rob
    ...and we haven't kicked him out yet! (j/k Foo)
    Oh, there will be other opportunities!

I have to agree with snookerthepooky describing the colors as faded or washed out. I got to peek at the M505 today at Office Depot, and as much as it pains me to say this...it was a major disappointment. Walter Mossberg from the Wall Street journal was right, it is barely color.

I just placed my pre-order for a SONY Clie N710C. TechTV did a review yesterday, and it was gorgeous! The built-in MP3 player even has visual effects. Besides, the Clie is really everything I have ever wanted in a PalmOS device, and was the reason why I used PocketPCs for a time; high res color display, digital audio, expandability (albeit proprietary). Yeah baby!

I just hope I can make it to June 1!

Damn, between choosing between PDAs, and wrestling with a major decision to go Mac or PC (that one is still up in the air), I'm starting to suffer from tech burnout!
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by Rob

p.s. snooker, if you haven't already returned it, you might try selling it on eBay...I saw some that went for $575+ and that was for a promise to ship whenever the seller received them ("expected in the first week of May") If you post on eBay with a short duration and "In Hand" as part of the title, I bet you could make more.

Yeah, I flirted with doing the ebay make a killing thing, but I just have a feeling that by the time I sell it, 3 days later, m505s are all over the place and everyone else is thinking the same thing: make money and there will be tons of 505s on ebay....and it'll sell for like $525 with the 16 mb card....And then the guy might not follow through, and want me to ship it to some foreign land with insurance and it's just a hassle that I'd rather not go through. For $575, though, now we're talkin' :>

Almost would make my m500 a steal.

Thanks for forgiving me on the screen goof, guys. I still am going to return it. While the screen could conceivably be alright to some, it's just not going to cut it for me. And I know this because I've spent the last 2 hours trying to convince myself to keep it, and I just can't. I don't wanna be known as one of the first ones to jump on the 505 bandwagon if it indeed flames out just like the IIIc did.
    Wrote the brighthand.com palm os editor who also lives in dallas...she is getting hers at office depot in a few minutes. Told her to be prepared, but didn't say much more than that so that her brighthand review would still stand a chance at being only her bias and not hers + mine....not like she even cares or knows who I am, though, hehe.

If anyone reading this has also bought a 505, I'd be interested to hear if they are satisfied with the screen.
    The ipaq screen is alright to me; the HP JOrnada 548 screen I could not live with in certain situations. The cassiopeia color screens are the gold standard in my opinion; I don't really care if you can't see them outside. So that's my standards so you guys have a base of what I deem adequate color screens.

I'm off to re-deposit the 505 at the Depot. It's been nice knowing ya. Hopefully another owner will see you and love you more than I did. Everyone deserves a chance. I gave you one, but we're gonna have to break it up before both of us just get hurt. It's for the best, really.