Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    After using Palm products for 9 years, I have finally decided to try something else. I switched over to a Blackberry Curve (8300) and so far I have to say I am impressed.

Let me start off by saying I DO NOT work for Blackberry or RIM. I just got tired of all of the work arounds, terrible reception and having to by 3rd party apps just to have an exceptable level of use. I thank everyone on this site that has helped me over the past 3 years since I moved up to a Treo from an E2 your help has been invaluable.

The only thing I miss from my 680 is a touch screen. But I am rapidly getting used to the Palm UI and the trackball. My Moto HS850 bluetooth headseat paired up immediately and I have not had a single problem using it. The voice dialing through the headset is also a nice touch.

And I get a good 48 hours of battery life with normal use. At the end of a normal day I have a good 75% battery left. 10-15 phone calls, email on 24/7, bluetooth on 24/7.

I can't say I will never use a Palm product again, but so far I have been very happy with my BB.

I will check in periodicaly to see what changes have happened.

Thanks again for all the help.
    Did you have any 3rd-party apps on your Palm devices that you cannot replace on the BB? That's the one thing keeping me with Palm, my heavy investment in applications that has given me a completely customized device that does much more then it did out-of-the-box. Just wondering if you've had to overcome any application loss with your move.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Did you have any 3rd-party apps on your Palm devices that you cannot replace on the BB? That's the one thing keeping me with Palm, my heavy investment in applications that has given me a completely customized device that does much more then it did out-of-the-box. Just wondering if you've had to overcome any application loss with your move.
    Ditto.

I would say this is true for a lot of power users. I'm hanging and hope is springing eternal that Palm would not lead, just get somewhere around the lead pack in technology.
    Patrick Horne
    congrats!
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    My 680 works pretty much perfectly in every way mentioned above. I typically have 80+% battery at the end of the day, maybe 70+% with heavier bluetooth.

Never and not now a big Blackberry fan, and do not care for RIM's server-centric email implementation at all...
    True, email server and internet activation is proprietary, which I don't necessarily like myself. You can use Opera Mini to get around this if you really need to, on ATT only.

But the phone itself, texting, etc. works without a lot of hassle and no menus to search through. They also will finally release high speed data phones.

RIM is catching up fast! And they accomplished what Palm could not do, get the ordinary consumer interested in smartphones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    instead of saying what you might not like try saying what is actually fact.

try a blackberry and get back to us
    Me or Rener?

I tried BB, I like it, LOL! I don't always have to open up programs and menus to get something done, fine with me!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Can you get threaded text messaging on a BB?
    Yes. In the SMS app, under the phone number you're sending texts to, there's a thread of the conversation.

Can you show a screen shot of it?
    you need a screen shot to validate a claim? oh my
    No, I just want to see how it looks that is all. I believe what I was told.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    you need a screen shot to validate a claim? oh my
    I'm curious also.... Seems like a reasonable request.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I am using a vzw 8830 after a decade with Plam. I have been really happy with the out of the box experience of the bb. I can set a wallpaper, manage apps with out a launcher. Play my media, sync to outlook naitively. No need to run a file manager, set ringtones & pics for contacts. Edit pictures, email attachments and threaded sms. I have downloaded opera mini and google maps and attached a bluetooth gps puck (palm's actually). I found a couple of free themes to try out and bought one emulating the iphone. I have about 7 dollars invested in software and am really happy with it. The only thing I miss is docs to go, but I can find something to work eventually.

Here is a shot of the sms:

I say "give it a spin!"
    Last edited by theecigarman; 06/25/2007 at 08:30 AM. Reason: attached screen image
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    RIM makes solid, stable and very attractive devices.

But, I've left the RIM fold and haven't looked back.

Touchscreen, 3rd party apps, and GPS software were lacking for me.

Pearl form factor is awesome. But, it drove me nuts trying to type day in and day out on it - for anything other than quick text.