1.    #1  
    What is the difference especially when it comes to viewing pictures. Can somebody send a side by side comparison with pictures?

I'd point out that the above picture would appear much more "pixelated" with an 8-bit pallete vs. a 16-bit on the visor. The more colors you have the better you can blend an otherwise hard edge.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  3.    #3  
    appreciate the pictures.

Do you think there's is going to be a big difference betwenn the sony clie and the m505 when it comes to pictures
    I will try to dig up some pictures, but they won't tell the whole story. This is because some pictures look fine at 8 bits-per-pixel (BPP). Others need 16 BPP. Basically what you want to look for are two things. The total number of colors that the picture actually uses is an obvious indicator. The other point is the number of similar colors.

A lot of landscape pictures may have a lot more than 256 colors, but when you cut the palette down to display it in a 256 color mode, it still looks fine. The actual colors are not that important.

On another picture that has a lot of gradations of a single color, the 8 BPP mode just doesn't have enough discrete shades of a single color to display the picture properly. This is because in the 256 color mode, there is a choice of 256 colors out of a total palette of 4096 colors. 4096 colors mean that there are a total of 12 bits of data, or 4 bits each for red, green and blue. In other words, for a given color, there are only 8 levels from the brightest to the darkest. So on a picture with a color gradient, you are much more likely to see noticeable banding. 16 BPP modes have 16 levels of each color, so are much smoother.

Additionally 16 BPP modes are able to display as many of the colors as possible. Up to the point where each pixel on the screen displays a separate color. Please note that on the Prism and the M505 there is still no such thing as 65,536 colors simultaneously. Since there are only 25,600 pixels on a 160x160 display, that is the max number of simultaneous colors.

You can also minimize the differences between 8 BPP and 16 BPP modes by dithering the picture. If the picture is dithered properly, the smoothing that takes place will leave very little difference between the 8 BPP display and the 16 BPP display.

The only other difference between the two modes is speed. If both modes are unaccelerated (as is the case with the M505, IIIC and the Prism). the 16 BPP mode is one-half as fast as the 8 BPP mode. This is because the program has to perform all graphics calculations with twice as much data and the CPU has to pump twice as much data to the screen.

If you don't use a lot of graphics or play hi-color games, there is virtually no difference (except for speed).
    This is Prism 16 bit

and this is CLie 256
    Have A Good Day!
    I Love My Prism!
    Wow! That's a difference!
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  7. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Keep in mind when looking at those Zap! pictures that the one on the Prism has been optimized for the Prism's 16-bit color screen, while the one on the SC2 has not been optimized for the 320x320 high-res screen.
    Unless Handspring announces a new Color Visor Edge in the near future I'll be sending my bucks towards the little known company called SONY. Check out this link on 320x320 resolution support from Red Mercury. Wow! Just another cool Clie innovation. I think we've only hit the tip of the iceburg!

http://www.red-mercury.com/N710Cperformance.html

Also, http://www.red-mercury.com/index.html
  9.    #9  
    Can somebody send some pictures of the prism, clie and m505 displaying photos of people, places, etc. in the screen