Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    653 Global Posts
    I was just reading some other threads and it made me think, had Palm released any kind of updates (especially WM6) for the 700wx and I probably would have not switched.

I'm gonna test drive the 6800 though, I may find out I can't live without my Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pibe38 View Post
    I was just reading some other threads and it made me think, had Palm released any kind of updates (especially WM6) for the 700wx and I probably would have not switched.

I'm gonna test drive the 6800 though, I may find out I can't live without my Treo.
    I understand "the itch" . WM6, Wifi, Rev A (eventually) and the newness is tempting.

But I know if/when a 320x320 Treo WM6 hits...it's going be glorious
    Nothings going to beat that front keyboard, quality build and OS tweaks (the 750 video running WM6 shows it to be very fast on a Treo).

But take the plunge and try it out, can't hurt!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I'm already experiencing buyers remorse and the Mogul isn't being delivered until tomorrow!

I purchased it with the specific understanding that I have the ability to return it if it doesn't absolutely WOW me. $600 is a hefty amount to replace a phone that already does just about everything I want and need, and I'm very used to using. Then again, I am a borderline gadget ***** and like to try out new things. We'll see how it goes!
    You better like it for $600!

;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho View Post
    You better like it for $600!

;-)
    That's what I'm saying. Something tells me I'm going to play with it for a few weeks, and RMA it. Unless it really blows my mind, of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiguy View Post
    That's what I'm saying. Something tells me I'm going to play with it for a few weeks, and RMA it. Unless it really blows my mind, of course!
    For $600, I hope your mind is not the only thing it blows
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    I am just wondering when the VZW version is coming out. I want to at least look.
    Internal doc that were shown in other threads said 18 of next month same day as the HTC S720(SMT-5800) and a Treo 800w in like August or September.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I'm under the impression of 2 WM devices:

- Smartphone, lower end device = Gandolf
    - 800w = updated 700wx with WM6, 320x320 (wifi/gps?)

The 800w will probably launch on Verizon first, followed by Sprint in the Fall. The smartphone appears to be GSM at this point, though that will probably change.
    Don't you mean its going 750 with WM6 320x320 for CDMA users? Seeing how all new palm phones are dropping the antenna. At least we can hope for a 2mp camera.

How does the keyboard feel on the device. I want to try out the HTC S720 but the reviews I am reading in this tread about the novelty of 6700 and 6800 keyboard is kind of turning me off on the device.
    It would be smart for Palm to add a smartphone to their lineup while retaining their PPC line. This will allow them to capture more marketshare and hopefully improve their device line. Mal is usually pretty accurate with his info, so this Fall will likely be very interesting.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    eager to know how the device does with 26mb of memory left after a reboot/reset, especially for those third party app lovers out there. it won't be as bad as a Treo 700w, right? it just couldn't be....
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I wonder if the 26MB free RAM is due to higher memory settings for things like the page pool. I've read that some of the custom roms for the 6700 had that setting pushed up to 8, 12 or 16mb of RAM to boost system performance. The default on the 6700 is 2.8mb, but I wonder what its at on the 6800.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    eager to know how the device does with 26mb of memory left after a reboot/reset, especially for those third party app lovers out there. it won't be as bad as a Treo 700w, right? it just couldn't be....
    The 700w had 10 MB free. Its not exactly in the same league. 26 MB free is quite normal, especially with faster connections and higher megapixel cameras, as these need buffers which take up RAM even before booting the OS.

Surur
    I think people who prefer exposed keyboard or slide-out keyboard have picked their side a long time ago. An update of the 6700 is not going to change landscape too much either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The 700w had 10 MB free. Its not exactly in the same league. 26 MB free is quite normal, especially with faster connections and higher megapixel cameras, as these need buffers which take up RAM even before booting the OS.

Surur
    greatness! sounds like a great device for the slideout lovers....
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post

Surur
    I'm running with 37mb after soft reset on my Treo 700wx. I really can't complain there. I just want the bluetooth to work properly. And I really can't stand the slide out keyboard but I'll still take a look. Probably won't leave the store though.
    Palm Treo 700w > VZW Treo 700wx
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    I'm running with 37mb after soft reset on my Treo 700wx. I really can't complain there. I just want the bluetooth to work properly. And I really can't stand the slide out keyboard but I'll still take a look. Probably won't leave the store though.
    The 700wx is exceptional. I think its because they optimized it so much for the W, that adding an extra 32 MB ram automatically upped the free ram to (10+32=40MB) about.

Surur
    I am ordering my 6800 today. Now if the 800wx wasn't going to have square screen I would be VERY tempted to hold off or probably more realistically trade off to it when it comes out.
    So Hobbes...still no update/ETA on the S720 for Sprint?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I had the Palm 700P and *hated* it. I think maybe I was just done with POS, but the 700P was a HUGE letdown from the 650, which I was quite happy with. I hated to move to Windows because I had a huge software investment in PalmOS. Then I found out my major purchases (a large Bible With You suite and TomTom) had free swaps to windows software, so I returned the 700P (thank goodness for Costco's return policy) and bought the 6700.

It was night and day. The 6700 was SO much better than the Treo 700P. And, I LOVED the larger screen. There were some things I didn't like; the major thing was the keyboard.. I thought I'd love it, but it was a complete pain for me when I needed it for small things. It was great for email, but other than that, a horrible inconvenience, but a small price to pay for a great phone. Then my 6700 died, and Sprint FORCED me to take a Treo 700wx.

The only way to describe my joy with this phone is "best of both worlds." I'm tempted to try the 6800, and if someone really loves the slide-out keyboard, then it's a nobrainer, IMHO. However, as much as I want the "newness" factor AND the larger screen, I think that ultimately I'd be disappointed.

Anyway, long post to say that I agree that the slide-out keyboard is the "make it or break it" feature that each must decide on. As for me, I can't WAIT for the 800w =) Until then, I've got what is, probably, the best cell phone I've ever had--and a DARN good PDA to boot.
    Treo 650 Cingular -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Treo 700p Sprint -> PPC 6700 Sprint -> Treo 700wx Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonahan View Post
    Anyway, long post to say that I agree that the slide-out keyboard is the "make it or break it" feature that each must decide on. As for me, I can't WAIT for the 800w =) Until then, I've got what is, probably, the best cell phone I've ever had--and a DARN good PDA to boot.
    That's why I think the S720 is pretty special. Similar to the mockup I created long, long ago (see my sig), it sort of gives you the best of both worlds: 1) An always-exposed keypad allowing you to type a few letters/numbers to quickly look up a contact, quick-launch a program in a list, etc., and 2) A roomier keyboard for when you want to type out a memo/email.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    That's why I think the S720 is pretty special. Similar to the mockup I created long, long ago (see my sig), it sort of gives you the best of both worlds: 1) An always-exposed keypad allowing you to type a few letters/numbers to quickly look up a contact, quick-launch a program in a list, etc., and 2) A roomier keyboard for when you want to type out a memo/email.
    The only complaints I've heard about that form-factor: screen is small and off-centered when in landscape (shifted to the right) and the "balance" of the device is also off a bit when typing.

Otherwise, I think it'd be a huge hit and yet-another-device to bridge between the ominous 6800 and the more dumbed-down Moto Q.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast