1.    #1  
    I have mentioned on a couple of other threads how pleased I have been with my Blackberry Pearl. Sadly the second generation doesn't look like it will have 3G but if the rest of the features listed in the post make it I'll be the first in line when it reaches the UK. Check out the link below:

Blackberry Pearl 2
    Nice!! Too bad about no 3G though. Come on RIM!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    how much faster is 3G than EVDO? does it really matter for casual internet browsing? is it even available in that many markets?

trying to understand the "the it doesn't have 3g" complaint by some
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    1. It's 2007. 3G is more advanced than EDGE(that's what Pearl has, not EVDO) and actually has been out for quite some time(although not necessarily in the slow US).

2. Yes, 3G is faster than EDGE(2.5). My calls are also clearer on 3G.

3. Yes it does matter for browsing if you want the pages to load faster. This also helps for those who stream video, TV, and music from online.

4. Yes, 3G is worldwide. The US is just SLOW, but hopefully ATT will come through. Looks like urban areas are getting taken care of first. T-Mobile USA, I don't know.

21st century, let's get with it! I hate being stuck in the past.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    how much faster is 3G than EVDO? does it really matter for casual internet browsing? is it even available in that many markets?

trying to understand the "the it doesn't have 3g" complaint by some
    You are all business oalverez and that might be fine enough for you my friend. I don't stream much or play much on my Treo but it is nice to have the bandwith when needed. Its like cruizzzing with a Vette...you got the power when ya need it.
    at&t iPhone3G
    gotcha....thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Nice!! Too bad about no 3G though. Come on RIM!!
    RIM likes to stick to GSM (so you can use em around the world)... GSM carriers are the problem when it comes to 3G, not RIM.
    They have a 3G phone out in Europe though. Or at least they were talking about releasing one. I know I saw one with 3G specs for Europe.

Found it! http://www.discoverblackberry.com/en...Id=H0,C63,P163
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/21/2007 at 09:03 PM.

so why is it that it's so hard to find a device with 3G or Wifi coupled with the more popular features/applications?

the companies are simply not that stupid...right?
    People blame US carriers for imposing restrictions on wifi. It's definitely true with ATT, they stripped down several models of their wifi.

For 3G, I suspect it's because our 3G frequencies(frequencies period, actually) are entirely different. The manufacturers often have to put out 2 versions of the same phone. One for US/North America and one for the rest of the world. Sony finally decided to start releasing US frequency 3G phones in their upcoming batch. Moto has put out the first US 3G RAZR. Quad band chips are the best bet for a true world phone though.

seem like very valid reasons to me. thanks!
    Most of my family live in Asia where 3G (UMTS) has been deployed for years now. It isn't noticeably faster than EDGE since UMTS is only 384Kbs. Frankly I couldn't tell the difference. Also no one that I know actually subscribes to 3G service even though they all own 3G phones! All of them have Nokia N-series phones and never even use the front facing video conferencing camera. There is no killer app and data access charges are very expensive. HSDPA is only JUST being deployed so in actuality they are behind the U.S. in terms of data speeds. On the other hand Wifi is broadly available, some countries like Singapore have nationwide free Wifi access, so for that market Wifi is far more important than 3G.
    3G = EDGE.....i thought that to be the case too, but sooooo much is made of 3G around this place that you'd think the difference to be magnificently different. some say it is, i never really noticed the difference too, but that's probably because i'm not watching streaming video over my phone.
  14.    #14  
    EDGE seems to have been mostly skipped here in favour of 3G. In fact I'm fairly certain that the only carrier to offer it in the UK is Orange and it is only available in areas where 3G is not likely to be rolled out anytime soon.

I happen to be with Orange and I have noticed when driving through certain areas that my Pearl indicates EDGE coverage. So day to day I only have GPRS and having used 3G devices in the past I'd be very happy with up to 384kbps!

The 3G BB 8700 is/was offered through Vodafone but was apparently plagued with so problems they couldn't give them away.
    I did notice the difference Oalvarez. Call quality, and browser speed on graphic heavy pages. Remember, calls go through 3G too, at least they seem to on the 3G phones I have. Although I hate browsing on phones too(going blind, LOL!), unless outside with no other way to connect to the internet and needing get email or something.

Also supposedly you can do data and calls together at the same time on 3G. I never did this though.

awesome phone lady! glad to hear that it made a difference for you....my call quality is perfect with T-Mo and Verizon, i can't think of how it could get that much better....must sound like the person you are speaking to is right next to you! makes me want to try it out. as for the internet, oh well, i guess the pda configured browser pages aren't all that heavy so i won't gain much there...shucks! 3g sounds cool.
    Verizon has 3G too. You have an EVDO phone?

ATT 3G has no static, no fading in and out, and no dropped calls. Although that could have been due to the HSDPA(3G upgrade), because the phone has that. Works for me so far!