View Poll Results: Will you switch to the 6800/Mogul when it comes out?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! I will get it the second its available.

15 31.91%
  • Maybe. I will wait a while and see what others think.

18 38.30%
  • No. You will have to pry my 700w/wx from my cold dead hands.

3 6.38%
  • No. I am waiting for the 800w

7 14.89%
  • No. I am going to go back to a PalmOS or Linux Treo

4 8.51%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am seriously considering going with the 6800 when Sprint starts carrying it from my curren 700wx. I have my own Exchange 2007 server, so I really want WM6 and the specs are sweet.

How many of you are considering switching over?

Below are some pics HobbesIsReal provided from his top secret source over from Area 51

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Here are two pages of a 6 page PPT file from a poster over at PDAphoneHome that a buddy of his gave him:

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    Here are the rest of the slides....

Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    I'll probably take a look at it, but I'm going to wait until some of the other phones like the S720, Q9, and even the Treo 800w come out before I'll look to buy.
    I think I will finally be leaving palm. I started with Treo 300 & I am simply fed up. The 6800 is not cutting edge by any means but at least it's pretty comparable to most smartphones out today. Palm OS has been super easy tp use but I am willing to give WM 6 a chance. No antenna, bigger screen, wifi, slide out keyboard... all these are reasons to switch. I can't wait!
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    I know I've said this in other posts, but...

You really need to look at the usability of a device and not just the feature set. I was wowed by the HTC TyTN which has a similar form factor and specification to the 6800. However, I got rid of it in 3 weeks. As a phone it's not very usable, and just dialling calls is a pain. I missed my Treo 600!

I'm currently using a Nokia E61 which is closest I can find to a Treo in day-to-day ease of use but with the features I need: WiFi and 3G.

I'd happily go back to a Treo if it had the functionality and features I need.
    how is this not usable? what are some things I should know? maybe there will be improvements in wm6??
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    how is this not usable? what are some things I should know? maybe there will be improvements in wm6??
    You find a slide-out keyboard to be more useful than a Treo's keyboard? You're in the minority on that one.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    IF navigation is swift without the use of a stylus, I'll consider the 6800 after playing with it. I've grown to despise the stylus because it just isn't practical where I need to use the phone most. Stig is right IMO, that although the specs are there, it still has to prove itself.

The Treo's keyboard, for reasonably large men's hands is a PITA for typing without errors.
    Certainly WM6 has some improvements but they are mostly internal.

If you are an avid Treo user, the 6800 for factor will be a challenge.

Making calls is more difficult though substantially easier if you use BT often and the slide out keyboard is a mixed bag: great for lengthy emails or texts, bad for quick replys.

The battery (1500mah) is significantly smaller than a default WM 700 Treo (1800, which is upgradable to 2400 for the same size of course). No doubt HTC used nice chipsets to bypass some battery issues, but it still won't last as long as a Treo.

Finally, Palm really overhauled the WM OS to make it very user friendly and gave it that Palm-signature style (e.g. it only has a 300mhz processor but is faster than most 400mhz devices).

This is not to say the 6800 won't be a fine device: it will be a power house and I predict old 6700 users will be thrilled.

Personally, if I were considering a 6800 I would bite my tongue and wait till Fall-ish when Palm traditionally announces/releases new devices (think the April/October release schedule). At least then you can see what Palm has instore for WM (320x320, rev A, wifi?) or you can buy the 6800 with probably the Rev A upgrade.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    nice device, not for moi....why?

-1500mah? forget it...no more treo 680 experiences for me
    -slide out keyboard? no way! typing and texting is too frequent for me
    -looks like it could be bulky/heavy....yes it's more slim than the 6700 but is that saying much?

too bad the poll didn't have a "going to stay with my Blackberry, Non-Treo device"

in all seriousness, great feature set
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I like it but I have to wait and see how this stack so the SMT-5800, the I760 and the 800w.
    I am so sick of Palm's crap *** phone's that this 6800 looks a lot better than it actually is I am sure. The Treo 800w will be same ugly, heavy form factor I am sure. I am over it. Just remember the numbers are in tiny increments. From 755 to 800 is not that much so I don't anticipate many needed changes...
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    These comments are based on my experiences moving from a Treo 600 to a TyTN:

The 5-way pad is right at the bottom, which means it's hard to use with one hand. You can use the jog wheel and OK buttons on the side but it's an acquired skill!

Although the keyboard is bigger than a Treo, it still doesn't feel as easy to type on. Also, whenever you slide the keyboard out, the whole display has to rotate 90 degrees which can be slow.

The device also feels big in your pocket, and even bigger if you put it in a case.

WM6 is supposedly a lot quicker and more stable than WM5. The extra functionality in smartphone' edition compared to 'professional' could mean that I'd happily move to a device without a touchscreen. As said before I currently use a Nokia E61 which has no touchscreen and I don't miss it!

On the positive side the camera was great, particularly in conjunction with the large screen.
    when is this thing coming out?
    18 or so of next month according to VZW documents but for sprint who knows.
    I partially agree with treoneo...this might be a door way. I am giving Palm ONE more chance with the anticipation of the Palm/linux platform surounding a hopefully slimmer device toward the end of the year???
    at&t iPhone3G
    ^why? 600-750 not enough for you?

anything looks good against a treo....even the 680 which was a mirror image of itself...oops, i forgot about the antenna and "curved in" sides...
    Last edited by oalvarez; 06/17/2007 at 09:34 AM.
    My 700 has been quite well post MR. It is just so pitiful that we had to wait so long for it as we have to wait to get what we desire in a device. I want to see real movement in the next device, not small incrimental changes in each release. The only thing that might close the door on the 6800 is it still looks like a brick...just a smaller one. I dream of a Palm Treo with the same form factor but slimmer and sleaker with Palm/Linux OS with multitasking capabilities, and WiFi. Other Palm owners may want more but that is all I am asking. This rumored Gandolf looks like a Dash...I hope palm's form factor doesn't go in that direction or I am certainly history.
    at&t iPhone3G
    i really like the device shown above too......the slideout keyboard and brick-like form kill it for me.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Having just come back to Palm from the 6700, I'll take a wait and see stance on this one.

Brief PDA History. Purchased Pilot 1000 in 06/96. Since then: Palm Pilot Personal, Palm Pilot Pro, Palm IIIx, Visor Prism, Toshiba e310, Toshiba e740, PPC6700, Treo 700wx.

Initially I really liked the idea of the 6700's slide out keyboard. I found I didn't use it often tho, a combination of poor design (alt keys difficult to see and slow rotation response with WM) and what I think is too large a format. I've been using the Treo 700wx for a few weeks now and I must say I prefer the thumbboard. Prior to this, I was a huge FITALY user. I haven't even installed it on the Treo because I use the thumbboard exclusively.

I was a bit disappointed in the initial implementation of WM5 on the 6700. It literally took months to get it working well. I think it was only the last 4 months of it's life that I considered it a phone truly worth buying and that was only because I was using a hacked AKU3.5 rom on it. It was a fun device to tinker with, but as a truly reliable phone/PDA, no, it never lived up to that.

I'll wait for someone else to slide down the razor blade of bleeding edge this time and give them a couple of months to find all its hidden little quirks. The Treo is doing just fine by me. If WM6 proves to be a reliable platform, perhaps I'll move to it in the months after it's released; somehow I highly doubt it will be the Nirvana its proponents say.
    Pilot 1000>Palm Pilot>Palm IIIx>Visor Prism>Toshiba e310>Toshiba e740>PPC-6700>Treo 700wx
    <a href="http://www.xianfox.com">xianfox.com</a>
  20.    #20  
    There was talk of it being delayed. However, someone just got one (see link below), so it appears as if the telesales launch will go on tomorrow as planned.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...1&page=1&pp=15
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast