View Poll Results: Will you switch to the 6800/Mogul when it comes out?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! I will get it the second its available.

15 31.91%
  • Maybe. I will wait a while and see what others think.

18 38.30%
  • No. You will have to pry my 700w/wx from my cold dead hands.

3 6.38%
  • No. I am waiting for the 800w

7 14.89%
  • No. I am going to go back to a PalmOS or Linux Treo

4 8.51%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    if you have names and numbers stored in your contacts folder, don't those names and numbers get displayed when receiving a call (or name when sms)?

as for independent ringers, are they meant for when you can't view your display? what is the blocking good for?

trying to understand the importance and functionality of these
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    These comments are based on my experiences moving from a Treo 600 to a TyTN:

The 5-way pad is right at the bottom, which means it's hard to use with one hand. You can use the jog wheel and OK buttons on the side but it's an acquired skill!

Although the keyboard is bigger than a Treo, it still doesn't feel as easy to type on. Also, whenever you slide the keyboard out, the whole display has to rotate 90 degrees which can be slow.

The device also feels big in your pocket, and even bigger if you put it in a case.

WM6 is supposedly a lot quicker and more stable than WM5. The extra functionality in smartphone' edition compared to 'professional' could mean that I'd happily move to a device without a touchscreen. As said before I currently use a Nokia E61 which has no touchscreen and I don't miss it!

On the positive side the camera was great, particularly in conjunction with the large screen.
    Your comments mostly align with my experiences with a PPC-6700. The S-L-O-W rotating screen was especially hard to deal with. This new device has some distinct advantages though:
    - Much slimmer and no stick-out antenna.
    - Faster processor and WM6 *might* make screen rotation snappier (real user reports would be appreciated).
    - Alt/Shift indicator lights. I could *not* believe that there was no way to see the Alt/Shift status on the PPC-6700. Seems weird to me that they "fixed" this via external lights, though. MS should have fixed this in the OS/GUI to add on-screen indicators.

As a phone, there are other concerns (both with the old and probably this new model):
    - No ringer switch. The PPC-6700's volume rocker sucked as an alternative. Not sure if this new one is improved, but there's still no simple on/off switch for the ringer as there is with the Treo.
    - doing a quick lookup of a contact was a pain. On my Treo, I type two or three letters and I'm right there. Sliding out the keyboard for two-handed lookups was a no-go for in-car while-driving dialing.

All that said, I'm feeling the itch to try something new and am especially leaning towards a WM device because I recently updated my "skillz" to .NET and would love to have a gadget that I could code some applets for. I'm stuck in a Sprint contract and happy with their pricing, so that pretty much limits me to...well...this. Or whatever else may be on the way in the not-too-distant future. I'm interested in the S720 as well as a 320x320 WM Treo. I'd probably give the edge to either of those, but haven't heard any firm dates and I'm feeling antsy.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    My wife and I ordered 6800s this afternoon to replace our recently purchased Treo 755p's. I've had Treos since the 300 but they're just falling too far behind. So long Treos.
    yep, so long Treos.
    Maybe.
    I took the plunge and ordered my 6800 today. Initial reviews around the internet seem very positive. They apparently fixed a lot of the problems/nuances that the 6700 had. The slide out keyboard may not be convenient, but I'm going to give it a try.

Spec wise, it smokes most PPC phones out there now from other manufacturers. Wi-Fi will be a nice feature too. I hope the battery power lasts, but I bought a car charger, so it'll probably be a moot point for me anyway.

Can't wait to play!
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    if you have names and numbers stored in your contacts folder, don't those names and numbers get displayed when receiving a call (or name when sms)?
    Yes, of course. If you are referring to PhotoContacts Pro is just makes them full-screen as opposed to the notification tab that pops up. It basically augments the default behavior.
    as for independent ringers, are they meant for when you can't view your display? what is the blocking good for?
    Yes, presumably. I used that IBM voice synthesizer to make individual ringers. Great while in the car or the other room and it "announces" who is calling me. They are limited to 1 per contact by default in WM5/6. Some of these programs make those per number by contact e.g. 1 ringer for Steve's cell, 1 ringer for Steve's Home, etc.

What is blocking for?

You can block unknown contacts, blocked numbers, numbers from specific states, specific contacts or groups and then arrange those by Profile. Some people want to receive ALL calls during the day, Friends & Family at night, etc.

Very handy in avoiding wrong numbers e.g. unknown contacts. You can even choose to have it pickup/hangup, ignore, or send-to-voicemail. You can also have auto-reply by SMS to a specific caller. Plus you can have it log/no log, notifiy/not notify upon an action taken.
    trying to understand the importance and functionality of these
    See above. Call/SMS blocking programs are very important for a lot of people.

Sometimes you don't want unsolicited calls, you want to block someone, or you want to auto-reply by SMS.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Or I just have certain people blocked at certain times. I just don't like to be bothered with phone calls at certain times of the day...certain people will always call me when busy at work so I block them during my banker hours, certain people seem to creep and call late so I block them during supper or late hours. All in all I just think its rude when people call and I just don't answer or if I deny call and if anyone is smart they know when it rings twice and goes to voicemail you denied them or if they call you a couple of times with no response you probably shrugged them off. Well blocking sends them straight to voicemail and I will get that and determine if and when I call back without nobody thinking I was ignoring or dismissing their calls. I get a lot of calls from people from friends from college, Air Force buddies, local friends, and family I can't stand.
    at&t iPhone3G
    i see...thanks for the replies, they're helpful.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I received my 6800 today. Typing on it right now. Pretty cool device, but I don't know if I love it more than the Treo.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Could you list some of the negatives, Baglady.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    baglady215, let me know if you want to sell it........I have a very, like-new, 2-month old 700wx plus cash
  13.    #53  
    I decided to go with a slightly different approach than I initially planned. I picked up a used 6700 for $150 to see how I like the keyboard and see if I can make it a usable device. If so, I will move up to the 6800 and sell the 6700 on ebay for a profit since I got it so cheap. If not, I will stick with my 700wx.

The funny thing is that the touchscreen was having some issues with the allignment test. Brought it to a Sprint store and they gave me a brand new one for no additional charge...$150 for a brand new 6700 is not bad
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    How is the wifi reception on this phone?
    I switched from the 650 to the 6700 mostly for Windows Mobile 5. I used the 6700 for almost 2 years before being forced back to the 700wx when my 6700 died (Sprint would only replace with 700wx due to 6700 being discontinued).

Having my 700wx for a month now I will never go back to the sliders.

6700 Pros
    Screen resolution.
    WiFi (if you actually use it, I just used Sprint's data instead)

6700 Cons
    Stylus MANDATORY. No one-handed use here.
    Keyboard felt odd, not enough room on the top row for my big fingers.
    Bulky, very limited case options
    Lousy phone interface

I even went so far as to install Palms Today screen plugin they developed for the 700w/x in an attempt to make it easier to use my 6700 as a phone.

700wx cons
    Screen resoultion

700wx pros
    Everything about it is easier to use
    Stylus optional

I will admit that the Mogul is tempting. And I am confident it will come with features the 800w will lack. But it will not be easier to use than the Treo line.

Bottom line: Treos are a good phone AND pda; the sliders are a good pda with a lousy phone.

I'll wait for the Treo 800w, thank you.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    This sure looks like the tmobile wing that my work partner has. If it's the same device then it's garbage. Poor battery life and freezes up. Typical windows mobile problems. The very reason why I dumped the 700w for a bb8800.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by f1realtor View Post
    This sure looks like the tmobile wing that my work partner has. If it's the same device then it's garbage. Poor battery life and freezes up. Typical windows mobile problems. The very reason why I dumped the 700w for a bb8800.
    The Wing is a different device. It has a much slower processor and I believe the memory is less as well.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by bmnboy View Post
    How is the wifi reception on this phone?
    Very poor. At home, in the same spot that my laptop shows 100% reception, the 6800 barely registers a signal. I get 75% signal if I'm sitting within 10ft of the router. I have to be in the same room to get 100% signal on the 6800.
    Quote Originally Posted by f1realtor View Post
    This sure looks like the tmobile wing that my work partner has. If it's the same device then it's garbage.
    As Stoths astutely points out, very different device. The internals are very far apart with the Mogul outstripping it in every way.

They are more different than comparing the Treo 700w to the Treo 700wx

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I just ordered this yesterday and I was really hype about it but when I heard that it only supports 2gb max I'm thinking about cancelling my order. Can anyone confirm this information?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast