Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been a long time Palm OS user...from a Tung. E to a Treo 650, to a 700p for the last year. 2 weeks ago, I made the switch to the BlackBerry 8830 and I love it. Let me put it this way, it simply works. Also transferring contacts appts n such was painless with the new BlackBerry Desktop software. The only snag is you have to find a new PIM program if you plan to manage your data on the computer, or use Outlook, BB will not work with Palm Desktop. But then again, the BB backs up efforlessly and FAST. Also check with your corporation about BlackBerry Enterprise Server. BTW the email is amazing! Any questions I'd be glad to answer, just don't flood me with a bunch of stupid ones.

O and BTW, the only downfall is no camera, the 8830 has a built in GPS chip but VZW has locked it, thouht it MIGHT be unlocked soon...

BTW, RIM BlackBerry will give your up to $235 for your old Treo 700p, if you purchase a new BlackBerry, its what I did and essentially got my new BB for $185. Talk about a sweet deal. MMMM black berries are sweet and delecious. Try eating a treo????

http://blackberry.tradeups.com/Default.aspx
    Last edited by BFEINZIMER; 06/06/2007 at 02:40 AM.
    I have both and hate the bb
    Could either of you talk a little bit more about what you like and don't like about the BB 8830 compared to the Treo 700P. I'm seriously thinking about grabbing the BB 8830 when it comes out for sprint.

For instance, how are the multimedia features on the 8830, are they at all comparable to the Treo's? Also, how do you like the BB's web browser, is it usable when compared to the Treo's. Oh and what about PIM options for BB? Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail View Post
    Could either of you talk a little bit more about what you like and don't like about the BB 8830 compared to the Treo 700P. I'm seriously thinking about grabbing the BB 8830 when it comes out for sprint.

For instance, how are the multimedia features on the 8830, are they at all comparable to the Treo's? Also, how do you like the BB's web browser, is it usable when compared to the Treo's. Oh and what about PIM options for BB? Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Yes, please list some specifics about why you like the BB better.
    I successfully applied the new MR for the 700, but I still have lags that drive me crazy. The BB8830 sure looks inviting.
    Zane
    just a few to help you out: the blackberry

-doesn't reset itself like a Treo does
    -doesn't need to be reset like a Treo does
    -doesn't have memory issues, doesn't lag
    -battery lasts longer
    -isn't as heavy and bricklike as a Treo

try one, you just might like it
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    just a few to help you out: the blackberry

-doesn't reset itself like a Treo does
    -doesn't need to be reset like a Treo does
    -doesn't have memory issues, doesn't lag
    -battery lasts longer
    -isn't as heavy and bricklike as a Treo

Thanks, the thing is that I don't have the issues that you appear to have had with the treo. I don't have a lot of resets and I don't have any noticeable lag. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you mention "memory issues," but that means I probably don't suffer from that malady either. I'm actually pretty pleased with the Treo 700's battery life. Really, the only issue we seem to have in common is the idea that the Treo's form factor is outdated. I really like the Treo's qwerty keyboard (having a regular keyboard is a must) but I do wish the form factor was much more slimmed down.

How about addressing any of the questions posed in this thread (thanks):

"For instance, how are the multimedia features on the 8830, are they at all comparable to the Treo's? Also, how do you like the BB's web browser, is it usable when compared to the Treo's. Oh and what about PIM options for BB? Any thoughts are appreciated."

I'm actually looking forward to getting the 8830 on Sprint next month.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    I'm actually looking forward to getting the 8830 on Sprint next month.
    But you need to hit 10,000 posts before you do!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    But you need to hit 10,000 posts before you do!!
    Why? Will I win a free 8830?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion View Post
    Why? Will I win a free 8830?
    No, but I have been very tempted to jump ship, and I hardly use data.

Went to my sister-in-law's mother's wake last year, and everyone from NY/CT had BB and everyone from NJ/PA had treo's. It was a funny observation a few of us made. To relieve some tension, my father gets up and goes, well I have an LG!!! and it can make phone calls!
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail View Post
    Thanks, the thing is that I don't have the issues that you appear to have had with the treo. I don't have a lot of resets and I don't have any noticeable lag. I'm not sure what you are referring to when you mention "memory issues," but that means I probably don't suffer from that malady either. I'm actually pretty pleased with the Treo 700's battery life. Really, the only issue we seem to have in common is the idea that the Treo's form factor is outdated. I really like the Treo's qwerty keyboard (having a regular keyboard is a must) but I do wish the form factor was much more slimmed down.

How about addressing any of the questions posed in this thread (thanks):

"For instance, how are the multimedia features on the 8830, are they at all comparable to the Treo's? Also, how do you like the BB's web browser, is it usable when compared to the Treo's. Oh and what about PIM options for BB? Any thoughts are appreciated."

you started by asking what we liked/didn't like, i believe i answered that.

as far as memory issues, perhaps you haven't owned as many Treos as some of us have, namely the 700w which was another laughable device in terms of it's memory woes.

as far as multimedia goes, i only care about being able to snap a picture from time to time, my Pearl actually has zoom capabilities along with a flash.

web browser? works just fine, not sure what special needs you require out of yours. the Blackberry's is fast and downloads images/pages at speeds equivalent to if not better than my Treos of years past.

pim options? well, we have a BES at work that allows me more than sufficient calendar and phone book features/capabilities. i can see appointments, schedule reminders and the like. names/numbers are easy to look up, you can email/dial from the address book. i have simple needs, i don't rely on my handheld to run my life or require too much from it.

what do i like best about the Blackberry? it always seems to work. what do i like second best? it's portability. the Treo form-factor is a complete joke in today's pda/smartphone world.

those are my opinions, take them for whatever they're worth.
    NY/CT= BB
    NJ/PA = Treo

i think i know why but i would love to hear an east-coaster's take on it.
    Everyone that couldn't afford to live in new york moved to Jersey in the 70's. (My parents)
    Everyone who couldn't afford to live in NJ moved to PA. (Me)

Actually a lot of IT guys I know in the city will not support Treo's at all because 1) you can customize more than a BB 2) BB originally was the only way to get push email, and you didn't need an exchange server.

This is what I am told.
    Anybody have luck with the 8830 and an exchange server.
    We are running into issues.
    NY/CT= BB
    NJ/PA = Treo

i think i know why but i would love to hear an east-coaster's take on it.
    Why? I live in Manhattan and have both BTW. BB for business, Treo for personal. The BB is an ideal business device because it just works out of the box. The Treo is better for personal use if you are reasonably technical because of all the great software you can add particularly ChatterMail which enables push email without a BES server & IT dept. Also Keysuite is much better than the BB Pim software and allows me to keep work & home Outlook copies in sync. I also use Pocket Quicken which is not available on the BB. OTOH Zagat 2 Go is and Docs2Go soon will be.
    ADGrant, welcome to Treocentral.
    IT dept finally got the free 8830 demo we got from verizon to sync. It took half a day to configure and restart our exchange server, but man is it fast with how it syncs!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    ADGrant, welcome to Treocentral.
    IT dept finally got the free 8830 demo we got from verizon to sync. It took half a day to configure and restart our exchange server, but man is it fast with how it syncs!!
    Thanks. EVDO certainly is fast.
    The BB is gorgeous!!! But what a small keyboard. If the BB can be that small why can't a treo? Definitely a weight savings with the BB.
    Quote Originally Posted by BFEINZIMER View Post
    The only snag is you have to find a new PIM program if you plan to manage your data on the computer, or use Outlook, BB will not work with Palm Desktop.
    So, what PIM apps do you use on BB? How is it compared to Agendus?
    see me earlier post

BB(-)
    Web -poor screen
    No touch screen
    Wheel =Pain
    Hard to insert & symbol
    Require Alt+ wheel 2 to move to future date 1 day at a time
    External kboard - Posts I read say they don't work well.
    Small screen
    Not easily customizable
    Apparently can't beam appts.

Treo
    Stable
    No probs except occassional lag after installing 15 programs

The guy above said it well..BB ok for business...Treo Great for personal.

I have an issue in having both...keyboards are different...a pain. So I will switch to Treo wx for business.

Important - Most Blackberrys are just base load (no customization) Most Treos have lots of customization.

I have found that a basic Treo is a very stable device. So I think it is important to consider. Apples to apples is a base loaded BB & base loaded Treo. I feel that in that state you still have a much better devoce in the Treo & even at base load believe you can customize the treo more than the BB.

Hope this helps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast