1.    #1  
    Dell had it right with their Axim line. The top of the line x50 had a compact flash slot and a SD slot. The lower end model just had the SD.

Many companies don't get this the way Dell did. If you want to sell a high end PDA or smartphone it needs to have a high end memory slot. Maybe if you want to make a really thin product, then you should have a smaller slot, but if the thing is large to begin with the users probably won't care about the extra size for the smaller slot.

Why why why do companies do this? One of the big reasons I chose the 700p over it's competitors was the SD card. Why downgrade us with the 755p?
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Why do you overestimate the importance of flash memory slots?

Just because you want alot of flash slots that doesnt mean that the rest of us want to have alot of flash slots. I dont really use mine that much, so i am fine with just one and a small one. I would rather want wifi and/or GPS in the device.
    So, why did Dell stop making the Axims?
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I wish that they would just get a standard. I was REALLY digging SD. I have it on my laptop and my phone. When I bought my 6700, it sucked because I know need an adapter. Also there are no MiniSD USB cards. Those SD cards with USB built into them are sweet. Now I have to go to MicroSD. What a joke.
    I feel your pain. I still reminisce about the good ol' 5 1/4 inch (paper) floppy disks and their wonderful 360K of storage.
    THe circuit footprint of a SDIO slot on the board is huge when compared to minisd or microsd. It makes sense for palm to transition to a smaller flash standard in the future if it wants to design smaller form factors. I just wished they used microsd instead....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I feel your pain. I still reminisce about the good ol' 5 1/4 inch (paper) floppy disks and their wonderful 360K of storage.
    But there is a difference the largest SD card I have seen is 16 and I think 32 is on the way. Micro/MiniSD the largest I have seen is 4gigs.
    Its newer and will catch up...

Stuff is moving smaller so they can pack more crap inside the case. Many out there want Wifi, good bluetooth, a good cell stack, more ram, some are calling for HD's, better screens and all that takes up space.
    Hopeful they will stop shrinking the slot after microSD.

I am a cranky old man so I said this is bull**** and standized everything on the SD slot. My DSLR, 700p, Nokia n800, waterproof digicam and the cheap mp3 player...everything!
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    I wish that they would just get a standard. I was REALLY digging SD. I have it on my laptop and my phone. When I bought my 6700, it sucked because I know need an adapter. Also there are no MiniSD USB cards. Those SD cards with USB built into them are sweet. Now I have to go to MicroSD. What a joke.
    That's what I don't like. I bought miniSD cards for use in phones, then everything went micro. I have full SD cards lying around too, that I can't use. However, I believe you can still use full size SD cards in cameras if you take a lot of pictures. That might come in handy on vacation.

Yeah, it does suck that they can't decide what size they want to stick with. I think mini was perfect for phones, not too big and not too small. Micro is so small I don't even remove the card for fear of loss.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by 155 View Post
    Dell had it right with their Axim line. The top of the line x50 had a compact flash slot and a SD slot. The lower end model just had the SD.

Many companies don't get this the way Dell did. If you want to sell a high end PDA or smartphone it needs to have a high end memory slot. Maybe if you want to make a really thin product, then you should have a smaller slot, but if the thing is large to begin with the users probably won't care about the extra size for the smaller slot.

Why why why do companies do this? One of the big reasons I chose the 700p over it's competitors was the SD card. Why downgrade us with the 755p?
    If phones gave decent storage to begin with, we wouldn't always need slots. Those 4 and 8GB phones(not just the iPhone. Sony and Nokia have some.) have the right idea!

Although a slot is needed to add video IMO. Video will just chew up your phone storage.

MiniSD isn't necessarily a downgrade, they just need to release 4GB cards in a good price range. I think there are some, but they are too expensive at this time.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!