1.    #1  
    I see built-in GPS coming on a number of GSM PDAs and smartphones, but nothing in current or future offerings for CDMA. Non-PDA/smartphone CDMA phones like the Moto V3M and Samsung M500 have it, but, to me, it seems like the PDA/Smartphone crowd would be more apt to use/want built-in GPS as these devices are meant to be multi-role devices.

I enjoy having GPS navigation on my smartphone, but it's not really an all-in-one solution if I have to remember to take my BT receiver w/me. I also stream music over BT to my car stereo, but the GPS bogs down trying to stream to two devices simultaneously. There's also the issue with having to charge to separate devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    I enjoy having GPS navigation on my smartphone, but it's not really an all-in-one solution if I have to remember to take my BT receiver w/me. I also stream music over BT to my car stereo, but the GPS bogs down trying to stream to two devices simultaneously. There's also the issue with having to charge to separate devices.
    I'd prefer an all-in-one solution too, but if your device "bogs down" when you're BT streaming and using a BT GPS, you would have the same (or greater) problem with an internal GPS eating up CPU time. Are you using a Palm OS device? That's a level of poor performance even my lowly Moto Q hasn't sunk to.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I'd prefer an all-in-one solution too, but if your device "bogs down" when you're BT streaming and using a BT GPS, you would have the same (or greater) problem with an internal GPS eating up CPU time. Are you using a Palm OS device? That's a level of poor performance even my lowly Moto Q hasn't sunk to.
    I'm using a Q as well. I don't think it's a CPU/memory issue. I just got the GPS (Garmin) and will have to run more tests, but to me it seems to be more of a BT issue. When I'm streaming music over BT from Windows Media Player, the Nav program acts weird. When I'm just running WMP w/o streaming, the Nav program runs fine.

Is there a way to keep the screen from dimming/blanking on the Q when it is on battery?
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    When I'm streaming music over BT from Windows Media Player, the Nav program acts weird. When I'm just running WMP w/o streaming, the Nav program runs fine.
    Problem identified: WMP is a notorious CPU hog. You'd be better off using TCPMP or PocketPlayer with their significantly reduced CPU footprint.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Problem identified: WMP is a notorious CPU hog. You'd be better off using TCPMP or PocketPlayer with their significantly reduced CPU footprint.
    You were right Kupe. Garmin runs smoothly with TCPMP even streaming over BT. Thanks so much for your help!

I'm amazed at how far GPS nav has come. I had an old Streetpilot III 5 years ago and the thing was literally the size of a brick. It was such a pain to mount/unmount the thing everytime I got sick of it and sold it. It took at least 2 min. to find the sats and you had to maintain a clear view otherwise you'd lose your location.

I love my Q even if it doesn't have wifi and built-in GPS. My last phone was a Treo and I hated carrying that thing and often left it at home. Hopefully, Moto will figure out a way to squeeze those features into a future build.
    You question should be why GPS for european phones not 'why GPS for GSM only'.

For that, I can't answer you. But keep in mind that American roads are much simpler than European roads.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    You question should be why GPS for european phones not 'why GPS for GSM only'.

For that, I can't answer you. But keep in mind that American roads are much simpler than European roads.
    Yes, European roads were not planned so much as evolved. Before GPS everyone had an AtoZ map in their car, just for this reason.

Surur
    You see GPS on GSM phones because CDMA carriers, at least those in teh US, will not allow any service that cannot be monetized easily to be used on phones on their networks. It has nothing to do with anything else, its more than possible and should be done.

There is a small scale implementation of LBS (using A-GPS) with the CDMA Boost Mobile (Sprint) group, but other than that and a few other items, you will not find much.

In the GSM world, GPS is just getting past the inital user's eyes and so look for more phones and services towards the backend of this year in that area.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.