Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I saw one today. the case feels more lik plastic than aluminum. Definetly not the same feel as the Vx. its a totally new screen, much nicer than the old one.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    2 questions:

1. Is the metal case on the M500 the same quality as the Vx series? Or does it feal cheaper to you? Is the case all metal, or does it have a plastic back.

2. Is the display the same used in the Vx, or is it from the IIIxe?
    I beg to differ. I thought the case was much more plasticky than the Vx.
    Originally posted by Rob

The case is the same quality as the PalmVx. The front and back of the case are completely metal, although there is a thin plastic 'strip' around the edge of the device that goes all the way around (top, bottom, and sides). It's narrower than the strip around the edge, though.

I don't know what display is used in the IIIxe, but as I mentioned above, the screen is clearer and less green looking, and I think it's the same as the one used on the edge.
  3. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by tthiel
    I beg to differ. I thought the case was much more plasticky than the Vx.
    Hmmm...interesting. I guess this is somewhat subjective, but I'm surprised that you would notice such a big difference when they seem quite similar to me. Were you comparing the m500 and the Vx side-by-side? I still have my old Palm Vx, so was able to look at and hold both of them at the same time. You don't mean it feels plasticy like the Platinum feels plasticy, do you?
    Originally posted by tthiel
    I saw one today. the case feels more lik plastic than aluminum. Definetly not the same feel as the Vx.
    You don't mean that the case is plastic, I hope? Could it be possible that a different metal material is being used the M500 series? I know, for example, that the Visor Edge uses the same alloy material as the HP Jornada, which has a far different tactile feel. Could you tell if the M500 has a similar metal shell to the Edge or Jornada?

By the way Rob, thanks for the pics! I appreciate it.
  5. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by foo fighter

You don't mean that the case is plastic, I hope? Could it be possible that a different metal material is being used the M500 series? I know, for example, that the Visor Edge uses the same alloy material as the HP Jornada, which has a far different tactile feel. Could you tell if the M500 has a similar metal shell to the Edge or Jornada?

By the way Rob, thanks for the pics! I appreciate it.
    Ok, after tthiel's post I went back and got my Palm Vx to compare. It's true that the metal on the m500 is different than the metal on the Vx, but it is absolutely metal. However, it does have a different tactile feel than the Vx -- a little less smooth/slippery and a little more grippy (which is great in my opinion, who wants to slip and drop a $400 handheld?) I don't remember exactly what the Jornada and edge metal felt like, so I can't make a valid comparison, but the m500 is shinier than the Jornada (which is more dull/dark grey if memory serves). The m500 is definitely a 'brushed aluminum' color, similar to the Nokia 8890 (which I also don't have in front of me, so take that with a grain of salt...)
    The front of the M500 is definitely metal. The back is definitely plastic (as has been previously reported). I'm not terribly concerned about this.

The display is great, better than the Edge. The background is a much lighter green. Yes, It is definitely Palm V green, not Palm IIIx bronze. It is, as stated however, a much lighter green, and therefore has much better contrast.

I am going to do some timing, but M500 HotSynchs feel significantly faster than HandSpring HotSynchs.

It feels great. Much more rounded and comfortable than the Edge or Palm V. For some reason, feels much smaller than the Palm V, which in turn feels much smaller than the Edge (at least to me).
    Last edited by bradhaak; 04/22/2001 at 11:43 AM.
    Thanx for the good mini-review, Rob. =)

I hope you don't mind, I posted onto a Chinese Palm forum...
    if you do, I apologize and I'll take it down. =P

It's here
  8. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by meitsjustme
    Thanx for the good mini-review, Rob. =)

I hope you don't mind, I posted onto a Chinese Palm forum...
    if you do, I apologize and I'll take it down. =P

It's here
    I don't mind, although you may want to include a link to this thread so others can read our follow-on discussions.
  9. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    The front of the M500 is definitely metal. The back is definitely plastic (as has been previously reported). I'm not terribly concerned about this.
    You know, I never considered that the back would be different than the front (I mean, who spends much time looking at the back of their PDA?), but I think you are correct. tthiel's post didn't direct my attention to the back specifically, so it totally escaped my notice. They did a real good job making the back look and even feel metallic, though (it sure fooled me )...if the Platinum had used this kind of plastic, I think it would have received a lot less scorn.

It feels great. Much more rounded and comfortable than the Edge or Palm V. For some reason, feels much smaller than the Palm V, which in turn feeels much smaller than the Edge (at least to me).
    I agree, the m500 is very comfortable to hold -- I think it feels smaller because of the concave sides (which still looks a little funny to me, but I'm getting more used to it.)
    Last edited by Rob; 04/22/2001 at 02:05 AM.
    Thanx, I did =)
    Rob:

I need to know this: will my current screen protectors fit the new M500 (hopefully M505 too) ???

I have so much extra protectors that I hope I don't need to buy new ones for these new models!!
  12. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by limestone
    Rob:

I need to know this: will my current screen protectors fit the new M500 (hopefully M505 too) ???
    Yes, of course, and it will also fit nicely in the back pocket of your size 34 jeans, and the left inside pocket of that old raggedy brown suede jacket you wear so often...

(in other words, how the heck should I know how big your current screen protectors are???)
    Opps! I'm sorry Rob...

I own a Palm Vx, so I was refering to the Vx screen protectors. Will they fit exactly?
    I played with the m500 at office depot today. You know, it's not all that bad. The screen is a whiter than the Palm V's. More contrast and easier reading. I pulled my platinum out, and compare to the m500 the thing's a brick. You never notice the sie difference until you compare the two, I guess. I won't get one, but it's pretty cool.
    Fat's
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Rob
    [B]Here's are some of my impressions (since this is so unpolished, I just don't feel right calling this even a 'mini-review'):

Hardware
    * The speaker is louder than the Prism, and much louder than the Palm Vx.
    Is this true? Some people say there is no speaker in the m500, and palm inc. said so as well.
    - žammy
  16. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by žammy

* The speaker is louder than the Prism, and much louder than the Palm Vx.
    Is this true? Some people say there is no speaker in the m500, and palm inc. said so as well.
    What do you mean? How could there be alarms if there's no speaker? Every palm since the original pilot 1000 has had a speaker -- granted, it's a little 'piezo' speaker, not a soundblaster, but it's still a speaker.
    Originally posted by Rob

What do you mean? How could there be alarms if there's no speaker? Every palm since the original pilot 1000 has had a speaker -- granted, it's a little 'piezo' speaker, not a soundblaster, but it's still a speaker.
    Palm inc. told me that when I asked, they also said that there will ba an expansion for a speaker soon. I'm refering not to the speaker for the alarm, but for the programs. Does any programs you downloaded makes any sounds? Does the system its self makes any sounds?
    - žammy
  18. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by žammy

Palm inc. told me that when I asked, they also said that there will ba an expansion for a speaker soon. I'm refering not to the speaker for the alarm, but for the programs. Does any programs you downloaded makes any sounds? Does the system its self makes any sounds?
    Any program can use the Palm's speaker to make sounds. Lots of games do this. Maybe you are talking about
    a MUSIC player (e.g. MP3 player). You need a module or add-on for real music, but the built-in speaker is good enough for basic alarms and game sounds.
    Originally posted by Rob

Any program can use the Palm's speaker to make sounds. Lots of games do this. Maybe you are talking about
    a MUSIC player (e.g. MP3 player). You need a module or add-on for real music, but the built-in speaker is good enough for basic alarms and game sounds.
    I know all palm devices do have speakers but evedryone keeps on confusing me and palm as well saying that the m500 has no speakers because of the form factor rule and all.. I didnt think palm would lie.. they must of been mistaken. By the way I dont listen to mp3's but you can listen to midis versions of hte mp3, you just wont hear the persons voice, thats good enough..
    - žammy
    - žammy
  20. JJR
    I picked up an M505 yesterday. I am very impressed. I also looked at the M500 and decided the extra $50 for color was worth it.

The only problem with the M505 is that the contrast without the backlight is a bit dim. The whites are a pale grey. I read that they had to tone down the contrast to save the battery life. I've been amazed with it so far, though. All you have to do to brighten the contrast up is turn on the back light. Some people I'm sure are going to complain about the contrast of the M505. People need to realize that you have a trade off with the killer form factor of a Palm V and the bulky Prism or Palm IIIc. I'll take it any day.

The bonus software included is fantastic. The MMC slot is pretty slick. I really like it much more than the clunky springboard slot (I'm a former owner of a VDX Ice).

My Visor and modules are going to my fiancee, she's really excited about it, as am I with my M505.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast