Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Originally posted by homer
    First of all, NEVER try to make me believe that Powerpoint ANYTHING is a feature. Powerpoint is a plague on society (OK, I that may be a BIT of an exaggeration...but not much).
    No, it's NOT an exaggeration. Powerpoint IS a plague upon society. I work in education, and the overuse of Powerpoint is quite possibly the most irritating thing I see when it comes to technology. People think that if you use Powerpoint, then you know what you're doing and that you're interesting. Powerpoint presentations are generally boring. People put too much info on each slide, then they READ it to you. How insulting is that? Powerpoint can be a useful tool, but it's not the "cure-all" people think it is. You don't use a hammer to caulk your shower, do you? Why would you compose a Powerpoint presentation for EVERY CLASS, then?

Soapbox aside, PalmOS can already control and present Powerpoints...
  2. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by bookrats
    So the question becomes: any Palm developers out there who attend Palm development conferences have hints as to when high-res display functionality may be included in the Palm OS? (I assume it isn't there in 4.0.)
    I remember reading somewhere (maybe the PalmSource 2000 slides) that PalmOS 5.0 will support both higher resolutions and a software graffiti area that can be hidden. I certainly hope so, because those are the two highest things on my wishlist (after color, which I already have in my Prism).
    alexp:

We should form a support group and help people cure the dehabiliting disease of Powerpoint Dependancy

The most engaging presentation I went to in recent memory was of a technology speaker who used, of all things, an overhead projector and a marker. If and when he had to make a point visually, he'd walk over and doodle a quick hand-written diagram.

THAT was an engaging visual. A gradated, animated, 8-bullet point PPT slide is NOT.

But I think I'm taking this thread too far off-topic
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I remember reading somewhere (maybe the PalmSource 2000 slides) that PalmOS 5.0 will support both higher resolutions and a software graffiti area that can be hidden. I certainly hope so, because those are the two highest things on my wishlist (after color, which I already have in my Prism).
    I can NOT remember where I read this, but apparently, any OS enhancement added by the licensees (such as Handspring and Sony) are automatically licensed back to Palm for inclusion in the next OS...so that ALL licensees get the added feature-set.
    -David Byrne

I can NOT remember where I read this, but apparently, any OS enhancement added by the licensees (such as Handspring and Sony) are automatically licensed back to Palm for inclusion in the next OS...so that ALL licensees get the added feature-set.
    Now that is facinating -- not only regarding high-resolution, but because it shows how much effect Handspring can have (and has) on the further development of the Palm OS.

Though I assume that Palm has the option on vetoing whether a licensee's enhancement would go into the Palm OS or not (as well as the choice of re-coding the option.)
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Originally posted by bradhaak

You missed the point completely. Think of the printer comparison that I used earlier. As resolution increased from less than 100 DPI in the late eighties, to well over 1000 DPI today, text size on the printed page has remained the same. This is because for most people 10-12 point text is the most readable, general purpose, print size. Instead of trying to print the text smaller, we now have printouts that closely resemble typeset quality output.

The same idea applies to the screen of a PDA. Except for specific applications, you won't cut the height and width of text in half just because you have doubled the resolution. Instead you will use more detailed fonts. These high resolution fonts are smoother and more detailed. Unless the fonts are badly designed they will always be more readable than corresponding low resolution fonts.

If you are having problems reading the display on your Jornada, change the size of the fonts that it is using or download new fonts to replace the default typefaces. With the additional resolution that you have, this is a valid choice. I admit that my Jornada has the worst display of the big three, Pocket PC families, so you might need to adjust it more. My IPAQ is quite a bit better and the Casio E125 is incredible. The Casio looks better than any monitor that I have ever used.
    I got your point completely. Compare two fonts on your computer which have different line widths. At 10-12 points you will usually pick the medium width font. The higher resolution Palm screen on the HandEra 330 or the new Sony is very thin at the standard point size. My comparison to the Jornada had nothing to do with the size of the font or the quality of the screen. A one pixel wide font is very thin on the PPC screen. Compare these two shots of the Prism & new Clie:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No offense guys but . . . . shouldn't the features of the Handera 330 have been in the Palm M500 and M505. As always Palm makes a tiny leap by adding an expansion port and some color. Big whoop. Handspring was first to have 16 bit color, and now a phone module too.

Now here comes TRG, oops I mean Handera, and they come out with a larger screen, virtual grafitti area, plus two expansion slots for two different types of media and it even has better sound. Make a color version and you have a true Pocket PC killer!!!

I won't even go on about Sony's new little gem of a pda.

Kudos to Handera and their 330!!

Let's hope Handspring is watching this and offers the first color device with virtual graffiti area similar to the Handera330 screen plus the density of the Sony N700c. just wishing.

Call me crazy guys but I expected a whole lot more from Planet Palm.

-One to beam up . . . there's no intelligent life down here.-
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    Originally posted by Tom Munch

I got your point completely. Compare two fonts on your computer which have different line widths. At 10-12 points you will usually pick the medium width font. The higher resolution Palm screen on the HandEra 330 or the new Sony is very thin at the standard point size. My comparison to the Jornada had nothing to do with the size of the font or the quality of the screen. A one pixel wide font is very thin on the PPC screen. Compare these two shots of the Prism & new Clie:
    No, you still didn't get the point. You are looking at a specific example that is outside of my original statement. To be the same font, both examples need to have the same weight. In other words, when you double the resolution, you need to double the average line width in pixels for a given size. In my previous post I made the statement Unless the fonts are badly designed they will always be more readable than corresponding low resolution fonts. The word 'corresponding', means fonts of the same weight and typeface.

I saw the pictures that were posted this weekend comparing Sony and Prism. The picture with the memo illustrates your point. The text on the SONY would be very difficult to read in some circumstances because of the very thin line weight. The problem is that it is also perfectly illustrates what I have been trying to explain to you. The font that SONY provides is really a light version of the standard Palm OS font. This makes it a different font. If SONY had their act together, they would have provided fonts with the same weight as the standard Palm OS fonts, that took advantage of the increased resolution to produce better letter forms.

Of course different weights of a typeface have different readability characteristics. They almost have to since they are different fonts. You have to compare Apples to Apples, not Apples to IBMs.
    Last edited by bradhaak; 04/23/2001 at 01:23 PM.
    Tom Munch:

I have to side with Braadhaak...resolution is independant of font rendering...or at least it SHOULD be.

The screen shots you are showing are probably a difference in how the fonts are being incorrectly rendered.

When implemented correctly, a higher resolution screen will not necessarily generate 'thinner' type strokes. It MAY in that the lower resolution screens simply could not render the detail of the typeface due to the blocky pixels. If that is the case, than it is a simply matter of personal preference. If you like the thicker, blockier type, then it is just a matter of using a different typeface on your high-res screen.

Here's an example of the perceived difference. The 'h' on the left is at a lower resolution than the one on the right. Both are rendered based off of the same font information (the red outline). The 'h' on the left is bolder because the resolution is so low that the letter can not be accurately rendered. The 'h' on the right is not as bold, but reflects the 'h' much more accurately.

So, in a way, you are both correct. A higher resolution screen may render a typeface slightly thinner (to a point) than a low resolution screen would. However, it is the low resolution screen that is actually inaccurate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -David Byrne
    Tom Munch:

Here's an example of the perceived difference. The 'h' on the left is at a lower resolution than the one on the right. Both are rendered based off of the same font information (the red outline). The 'h' on the left is bolder because the resolution is so low that the letter can not be accurately rendered. The 'h' on the right is not as bold, but reflects the 'h' much more accurately.
    Very good example. Much better illustration than my raving.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Either way the Clie & the HandEra are presently representing the standard Palm font as one pixel wide on their higher res screens. This is not as bold & not as readable to me. I'm sure a bolder font could be used, but I don't know if the doubling or 1 1/2ing conversion on either device will support this.
    Umm, could it be the business folks tend to have NT 4.0 which doesn't support USB sync?

Tucson Sailors

(who upgraded his NT 4.0 box to NT2k just for USB hotsync...)
    It's my understanding that the HE330 will offer eight different fonts! So you should be able to pick that one that looks best to you.

I wonder if this unit will let you use a CF and an SD simultaneously? i.e. and SD mem card with a CF nic/modem.

The backlight should work well in dark and semi-light situations. Plus a backlit virtual graffiti area!

The website says that it will support audio, but I don't know what kind of audio. Maybe they just mean playback from the voice recorder. Hey, a builtin voice recorder. Now that's cool. Looks like it will be able to record straight to expansion cards. And you can convert recordings to .WAV format on the desktop!

This looks just like what the doctor ordered. I don't think I will be using SB's except for memory expansion. The HE330 can have all the memory you want. Up to 1GB w/a microdrive!
    Last edited by LanMan; 04/23/2001 at 03:49 PM.
    <><
    Seahorse software modifies apps for HE330:

http://www.seahorsesoft.com/handera330.html

Here are some posts from HandEra's CEO Mike Downey on the Palmstation site. They show legacy software in compatibility modes:

These screen shots are taken from POSE of a popular Legacy application (JFile 4.1) running in various screen modes on the HandEra 330. They demonstrate a combination of scaling and substitution designed to ensure legacy applications look great on the 330.

JFile 4.1 Expanded with Graffiti.
    http://www.mikew.org/HandEra330/JFile_4-1.gif

JFile 4.1 Expanded with Graffiti.
    http://www.mikew.org/HandEra330/JFile_4-2.gif

JFile 4.1 Expanded with Large On Screen Keyboard.
    http://www.mikew.org/HandEra330/JFile_4-3.gif

JFile 4.1 Expanded with Small On Screen Keyboard.
    http://www.mikew.org/HandEra330/JFile_4-4.gif

JFile 4.1 Expanded without Graffiti.
    http://www.mikew.org/HandEra330/JFile_4-5.gif

JFile 4.1 Centered without Graffiti.
    http://www.mikew.org/HandEra330/JFile_4-6.gif

JFile 4.1 Centered with Graffiti.
    http://www.mikew.org/HandEra330/JFile_4-7.gif

JFile 4.1 Upper Left Mode with Graffiti.
    http://www.mikew.org/HandEra330/JFile_4-9.gif

New Preference Panel allows selection of the screen mode on a per-app basis.
    http://www.mikew.org/HandEra330/JFile_4-8.gif
    Last edited by LanMan; 04/23/2001 at 04:54 PM.
    <><
    I saw one site that said that the LED would function as a silent alarm, but I don't see that in any news releases. Anybody have an update on this?

The unit does record directly to CF or SD cards, as well as RAM.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,47956,00.asp

The unit ships w/HE OS 3.5, but will be upgradeable to OS 4.0.

http://www.pdamd.com/vertical/features/handera.xml
    <><
    The pics of the display answer one of my biggest concerns. When they (HandEra) say scaled mode, they really mean a new hi-res mode with new fonts. Because, as various people have already stated, you can't decently scale 160 pixels to 240 pixels. HandEra must agree, because they don't. They are running it as a whole new mode.

This also explains the existence of the windowed mode. This is for legacy graphics apps. If you use a lot of paint programs, graphics games, mapping programs, etc. they will run windowed so that the bitmaps will look right. It is possible that even text apps with custom gadgets will need to run in this mode. Heck, for all we know now, it is possible that all non-HandEra aware apps will run in the windowed mode. That would be a drag and a possible source of eyestrain, but would also be understandable.

The picture slowly becomes more clear.
    This also explains the existence of the windowed mode.
    Wouldn't it be great to run multiple apps in Windowed mode...ala MacOS or Windows?

Maybe not.

Anyways, those screen shots look great. Got to hand it to Handera.
    -David Byrne
    I was just over at BlueNomad and thought I would share this:

April 23, 2001
    Blue Nomad adds HandEra 330 support for WordSmith, including its higher screen resolution (320 x 240), collapsible Graffiti area, jog wheel and landscape screen view capabilities.

That did not take long. They must have had some information on the feature set beforehand. Good job keeping it quiet. I guess having all the HandERA units shipping with QuickOffice kind of lit a fire under Blue Nomad.

Now the question is, will they add support for the new Clie? If they do, I wonder how much additional bloat it will add?
    In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. JOHN 14:2
    Either way the Clie & the HandEra are presently representing the standard Palm font as one pixel wide on their higher res screens.
    Tom:

I stand corrected. I see what you are saying now. The description that Bradhaak and I gave IS how it SHOULD work, but obviously, it isn't how they are actually doing it.

It looks like the higher resolution screen is actually using a different, thinner font. It's not rendering the same font in a higher resolution, but rather is using something completely different.

I think the solution will simply be to use a different font with the higher-resolution screen.
    -David Byrne
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Right. That is why I say that doubling the res to 320 would make for a two pixel wide font & smoother edges. Except that they aren't doing that in their conversions. 240 at 1 1/2 the 160 size can only have the same amount of text at the same point size by having the font be one pixel wide.

Either way I already ordered one (a Handera 330) from PalmGear that is supposed to be shipped on or after May 1. I'll make a judgement in person when I get my paws on one.
    Last edited by Tom Munch; 04/23/2001 at 11:47 PM.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast