View Poll Results: The next PDA sensation to be release will be...

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Sony Clie 2

9 20.93%
  • The Palm m500 and/or m505

9 20.93%
  • The HandEra

9 20.93%
  • The Visor X

12 27.91%
  • The Palm/Phone mutants

1 2.33%
  • Forget this...I'm going back to my old unit.

3 6.98%
  1.    #1  
    OK Folks!!! We all know that there are new and exciting handhelds on the horizon:

1. Sony Clie PEG-N700C aka Clie 2: already released in Japan, but Godzilla's debut in the US is stilling pending...

2. Palm m500 and m500: got more hype than a Tyson-Sphinx fight, but when will it be here and will it last than 36 seconds....

3. HandEra: no hype...lying quietly like a crouching tiger

4. Handspring Visor X: the hidden dragon?!?! Will it be a twist or a snap?

5. Palm/Phone combos: Those freaks...mutants . Samsung and I forgot who else...

So step right up, what handheld do you think will materialize next?

Put your polls on the table. The winners get.......will I guess they'll get a chance to buy the thing.

Or buy the thing, then return it to buy the next one, then return that one to buy the next one...and so on. (Sound familar Foo?)
    Fat's
    If you are going to have a "what's next" poll in the "all handhelds" catagory, don't you think you should put a Windows machine in there just for flavor?

Sam
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by yosemitesamiam
    If you are going to have a "what's next" poll in the "all handhelds" catagory, don't you think you should put a Windows machine in there just for flavor?

Sam
    True, except I'm not well kept on the advancement of the PPC's. The only PPC I'm vaguely familiar with is the Ipaq.

Also, most the recent handheld launches were palm OS devices.
    Fat's
    Originally posted by Fat_Man

True, except I'm not well kept on the advancement of the PPC's. The only PPC I'm vaguely familiar with is the Ipaq.

Also, most the recent handheld launches were palm OS devices.
    ..which is even more reason for a new PPC to hit the market...oh well...
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
  5. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Well, considering that the palm m500 has already become available, and one of the phone/PDA mutant hybrids (the monochrome Kyocera one), your question is a bit dated. I am interested in seeing the new Samsung phone, though, since it supposedly has 256 colors AND a soft graffiti area...
    I'm holding out to see what Visor-X is going to be. If its a color Edge with 320x320 and some real sound capabilities. I'll stick with Handspring. If not . . . I don't know what's going to save me from the tractor beam emitting from the Sony Clie N700C

-Wait one dam minute captain!!-
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
  7.    #7  
    I'm with you Mike! The sony is a little too hard to resist.

Come on Handspring, time to up stage Sony! Heck, I'll be happy with a color prism with 320x320 resolution, 16 bit color, and some multimedia capabilities. The resolution is the essential element!!
    Fat's
    What is the point of having multimedia capabilities on an 8 MB device? Power users that want a new toy are going gaga over the Sony Clie because its has "multimedia", but I fail to see how you can get a good multimedia experience ona device that can only hold 2 sem-decent MP3s. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
  9. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by yardie
    What is the point of having multimedia capabilities on an 8 MB device? Power users that want a new toy are going gaga over the Sony Clie because its has "multimedia", but I fail to see how you can get a good multimedia experience ona device that can only hold 2 sem-decent MP3s. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
    I believe that the Clie2 can play MP3s directly off of a Memory Stick (but I think you may need the special 'Magic Gate' memory sticks, which are relatively expensive). I personally value the Handera's increased screen SIZE (via soft graffiti area) over Sony's higher resolution but I do prefer color...
    Originally posted by Rob

I believe that the Clie2 can play MP3s directly off of a Memory Stick (but I think you may need the special 'Magic Gate' memory sticks, which are relatively expensive). I personally value the Handera's increased screen SIZE (via soft graffiti area) over Sony's higher resolution but I do prefer color...
    The sony Clie can't even play MP3's. It can only play ATRAC files (I belive) that are coded with RIAA music anti tehft codes, or somethign along those lines. So you can't even play you're own music on the device.

BEN
  11. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by BEN

The sony Clie can't even play MP3's. It can only play ATRAC files (I belive) that are coded with RIAA music anti tehft codes, or somethign along those lines. So you can't even play you're own music on the device.

BEN
    You're right about the ATRAC (my mind was thinking digital music and my fingers just automatically typed MP3 ). However, I thought I read somewhere that you could rip songs from your CDs onto the MemoryStick (in the ATRAC format), but you probably can't get your Napster MP3 collection on there.
    I'm pretty sure you can convert MP3 to ATRAC.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
  13. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    I'm pretty sure you can convert MP3 to ATRAC.
    I know that Sony has some MP3->ATRAC conversion software that ships with some of their players, such as this one:

http://hardware.mp3.com/hardware/individual/2773.html

>The MS Walkman is not an MP3 player. It is an ATRAC III player,
    >which is a Sony-developed digital music format most commonly
    >used for MiniDisc products. This means that before you can load
    >your MP3 files onto your Walkman player, you need to use the
    >included, RealJukebox-reminiscent software to convert the MP3 file
    >into ATRAC. It took us 8-plus hours to convert our 350-song
    >collection of MP3s.

I guess the real question is whether similar conversion software will ship with the Clie2 (or if there is some freeware/shareware software out there that will do this).
    Last edited by Rob; 04/26/2001 at 05:49 PM.
    Its already been stated the Clie 2 will support native MP3 as well as ATRAC, so this doesn't really matter any more.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com