Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I saw an article this morning about the Blackberry 8300 Curve and it instantly opened my eyes.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2124553,00.asp

Full Review:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2124554,00.asp

Is this the latest Treo-killer?? Palm had better get their ducks in a row!!

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

A bigger Treo fan than I'll admit.
    as i see more devices out there I become more convinced that they are not Treo killers. There will always be a market for die hard palm fans that will stick with palm products till the end. What i do see howerver, is a greater market for those who are on the sidelines like myself. I will switch to a Mac if i felt that I can get more out of it than my beloved PC. So I am seriously thinking about getting a BB8830 when they come out. It is a CDMA/GSM phone for those of us who do some international travel. I am not too crazy about camera on cell phones and I belive that is one of the main differences between the Curve and the 8800 series. If i decide to divorce sprint I will jump to the 8800 (non CDMA version), sprint is not on my good side now with more dropped calls and non EvDo service in my home area.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Is it just me or does it seem every few months BB has a new phone out.. I think the are expanding quite rapidly and will end up like palm rushing sub par products out then having problems.
    Actually, to everyones surprise, the ultimate treokiller turned out to be the 700p.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Nice one.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTheSane1 View Post
    Actually, to everyones surprise, the ultimate treokiller turned out to be the 700p.
    No doubt!!!

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

Nah! It was the 680. RIP
    I don't see any blackberry killing a treo any time soon.

why you ask they are so featureless. they just started with expandable memory and i heard there media player sucks. i use the 700wx and will never use plam and will never leave windows mobile for blackberry. windows mobile phones just have more stuff you can use them for. blackberry's are good for business people who need the simplest OS possible and get there email and they are happy.
    Best comment I have read today
    Treoing & Loving it
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigmattFromJeRSeY View Post
    I don't see any blackberry killing a treo any time soon.

why you ask they are so featureless. they just started with expandable memory and i heard there media player sucks. i use the 700wx and will never use plam and will never leave windows mobile for blackberry. windows mobile phones just have more stuff you can use them for. blackberry's are good for business people who need the simplest OS possible and get there email and they are happy.
    One of the reasons I posted the links above in post #1 is because they aren't just a 'business person's email device' anymore and are moving into the market that the Treo has dominated for years.

I use my 700P as both an entertainment device as well as a business device and probably do more with mine than most people do with theirs. The point of the post was to demonstrate that there is a new choice in the entertainment/business device market...but you have to actually read the article to understand that.

SMEGGIE
    Yer pal,

SMEGGIE

Any thoughts about the coming Sprint ppc-6800, seems like an interesting mix of features including Wi-Fi, BT 2.0 (w/stereo music support), Rev A ready and some additional features.
    Have a great one...Doc D.

Phillips VELO > Palm III > Palm V > Palm 505m > Treo 180 > Treo 300 > Samsung i500 > Treo 700p > HTC 6800 > Treo 800w > Treo Pro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    As pretty as the BB handsets look, they still have the BB software in them.

Last time I used the BB (in the 72xx days) the PIM functionality was limited and this "One Inbox to Rule Them All" thing bugged me. I looked at the 87xx handsets and they were gorgeous but it was the same OS therefore the same functionality. I passed.

I fear it is still thus. We now have the 8830 (a dual CDMA-GSM handset really appeals to me because I am overseas enough to need GSM) but I fear it is still the same old BB calendar, contacts, etc.

There's something else about the BB. When I had it, yeah my email was arriving fast (though once I was in Oregon for 5 days and the same 10 emails arrived again and again every 15 minutes for the whole time). But there was no F.U.N. My Treo is fun, even in the un-fun Windows flavor.
    they are trying but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
    For me (a frequent web browser), it's still all about the screen resolution, and BB still doesn't come close to the 700Ps 320x320. That's going to happen with the BB 9900, which is supposedly coming out late this year or early next; I'll give that one a serious look. (I'm also a heavy e-mailer, and while the Goodlink in my Treo isn't quite as "Good" as BB's system, it's quite usable.)
    I totally agree with TastyPeppers. I have a 8800 and love it, but like the PalmOS its getting long in the tooth. I don't buy into how RIM is putting a spin on music using the Blackberrys. It's basically a preemptive strike against the iPhone. Sorry RIM, Apple will crush you in the music catagory.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    IMO, the Treo has already been killed. Obviously it still exists but it's status as the "undisputed heavyweight pdaphone champion" no longer does.

Now it's just one of many viable options out there. It is no longer at the head of the pack, it's in the pack.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMEGGIE View Post
    One of the reasons I posted the links above in post #1 is because they aren't just a 'business person's email device' anymore and are moving into the market that the Treo has dominated for years.

I use my 700P as both an entertainment device as well as a business device and probably do more with mine than most people do with theirs. The point of the post was to demonstrate that there is a new choice in the entertainment/business device market...but you have to actually read the article to understand that.

SMEGGIE

Why read the article when i already know about the device. yes RIM is slowly trying to sell to more then just business users as in the peral. but with there forced apon you data plans which i see as a must for any pda others don't want a data plan. i know nextel you need either a $40 or $50 dollar plan to use on of there blackberrys. im sure cingular is the same to not so sure about tmobile i think they got a cheap data plan and verizon is like $40 bucks to. so even if it is more maistream i dont see someone who doesnt need the $40-$50 dollar data plan.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Blackberry is a great device. I loved my 700w, but it crashed and froze up way too much and I couldn't afford to potentially lose any business so I got an 8800. The OS and apps aren't as pretty, but they do work. Battery life and speed of running programs is a huge plus in my book. Palm really needs a new OS and they also need to fix the memory problems with windows mobile or they won't stand a chance.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Sorry, but anything without a touch screen is simply not even close to inflicting a flesh-would on a Treo, let alone killing it.

I find a touch screen essential for web browsing, doing crossword puzzles, sketching drawings in the notepad feature, even just basic navigation. My thumbs are big so I often use the on-screen type-pad instead of the regular keyboard too.
    Hiya ^_^, I believe if the phone is well made, you should be able to live without the touch screen. I mean I love my Treo and I realize that I hardly ever use the touch screen, the one handed navigation is simply perfect.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast