Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Some people just have no loyalty.
    Loyalty? I have been a loyal PALM OS user since the original Pilot. I have bought every incarnation of a PALM OS device that was offered through Sony or PALM. Unfortunately, PALM hasn't given me a device I can use that works as advertised, so I would say that PALM needs to work on their loyalty to their customer base. Some of the things PALM has added to their devices over the years has become very important to me, like BT, but this does not work perfectly, as in the Treo not being able to keep BT connections with peripheral devices. So what do you do when the company you've grown to love cannot provide you with a device to suit your needs? You look for another device that can suit your needs. Why do I want to keep buying Treo after Treo to not get what I am looking for and get perfectly in a BB? Ultimately, my loyalty is to my wallet.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by nittanyjack View Post
    You can buy an ATT curve for $449.00 retail and have it unlocked for $19.99 within 24 hours from gsmphonesource.com. gsmphonesource also sells the ATT unlocked version for $529.99.

Good luck!
    I got my Curve from AT&T and had it unlocked this way.

As for viewing attachments? It works like a charm, but what you cannot do is edit the attachments!! I do love the camera with the flash and the ability to view pics full screen, and send via email and mms with no issues like I had with my 680.

There are some things I miss about my 680, but I am very quickly forgetting them, especially when on my second full charge of the battery, I am on my 3rd day with plenty of juice left.

Like dimensiondvdrob, I have been a Palm user since I picked up a zoomer at Radio Shack many, many years ago, and bought every device since. I just recently changed jobs, and the company I work for mandated BlackBerry, since the Palm Desktop software conflicts with one of their contract programs on the laptops. I was very unhappy with having to move to a BlackBerry, and in Mid May got the 8800. It was a very good device, and I was impressed, but when the Curve came out, I traded the 8800, and I have NEVER seen a device from Palm that has functioned as well out of the box as the Curve has. If there could only be some passionate 3rd party app developers for BB like there was for Palm, I would be in Heaven. I can only assume that those will be coming soon. I really love this device, and now, for me, feel that I have a perfect consumer/business device (I am a road warrior), where as with MY Treos, I always felt I was sacrificing something with each device.

Those are my 2 cents.
    Last edited by MattM2G; 06/09/2007 at 01:31 PM. Reason: correct my horrible spelling...sorry!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    I have had my BlackBerry 8300 Curve for a little over a week...and was one of the first ones to order the device from AT&T Business Services because my dealership was going to BES for all it's sales managers. So...as much as I loved my Crimson Treo 680...the relationship wasn't meant to last.

Now, my Crimson 680 is in the hands of USPS winging it's way to a TC member that dearly wanted a Crimson 680, but had a "boring" Graphite one already...and because she can and will use every conceivable feature on the device...it's going to an excellent "adoptive parent".

So far, I really like the 8300. In fact, I am newly impressed almost every day that I figure out more and more things about it. No...the BlackBerry will never be the whiz bang techno-wonder smartphone that Treo and others are...but that's not it's forte. The BlackBerry is an email/mobile phone/data device...and now, with the Curve...it's a camera and media player as well. It is sleek, small and light...has a great screen, great earpiece volume, excellent RF...and amazing Bluetooth 2.0 capabilities...good browser...and amazingly fast email service. Those things are my priorities...and the BlackBerry 8300 covers all the bases.

Is it a better smartphone than the Treo...no. But, for the practical needs that I have...at the end of the day, when all is said and done...the BlackBerry is the best smartphone...for me.
    Crimson Treo 680 (given up for adoption)
    BlackBerry 9000 Bold - Main
    Palm Centro - Secondary
    No techno-wonders from BB?

Actually BB is supposed to release a wifi BB this fall. Palm still can't seem to offer a built-in wifi Treo. Sure BB is late, but at Palm's prices, they are really late too(and we've not even seen plans for a wifi Treo)! BB already released a CDMA/GSM phone and they have a 3G phone out in Europe. They're catching up fast, Palm is stagnant.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    @MattM2G: On the software side I can recommend some that may be of interest.

1. Todo Matrix and Idea Matrix from Rexwireless I constantly use these two application and the support is phenomenal.

2. Splash ID: I used this on the Treo and now there is a version for BB.

3. Mobylo! MultiAlarm: I do miss TreoAlarm and this is as close as I could get.

4. Opera Mini

5. RSS: There are several options, none that I would particularly recommend. The Newsgator application is okay and it syncs with my desktop and web client but if you only have a few feeds then I'd stick with Opera's built in RSS feed reader.

I also have BBspell which I'm not that impressed with. I understand the Curve has a spell checker built in. Are you happy with it?

That's about all I have installed, hope this is useful.........
    Quote Originally Posted by heterodoxos View Post
    MattM2G: On the software side I can recommend some that may be of interest.

1. Todo Matrix and Idea Matrix from Rexwireless I constantly use these two application and the support is phenomenal.

2. Splash ID: I used this on the Treo and now there is a version for BB.

3. Mobylo! MultiAlarm: I do miss TreoAlarm and this is as close as I could get.

4. Opera Mini

5. RSS: There are several options, none that I would particularly recommend. The Newsgator application is okay and it syncs with my desktop and web client but if you only have a few feeds then I'd stick with Opera's built in RSS feed reader.

I also have BBspell which I'm not that impressed with. I understand the Curve has a spell checker built in. Are you happy with it?

That's about all I have installed, hope this is useful.........
    Thanks for the heads up!!!

I am VERY HAPPY. I am on day 4 of my 2nd charging cycle with my Curve, and I still have 30% left. Compared to my 680 (Even after all of the fixes) this is incredible!!

I Love the spell checker (new for the Curve I am told).

I took several pictures of my nieces tonight, and the camera is excellent...the flash definately makes a difference.

I will try the apps you mentioned.

Have a GREAT weekend!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Until they

1. Make a blackberry that'll edit office dox. (MobileOffice or whatever it's called is AWFUL and takes 5 minutes to open up any document over ten pages long, and the way it looks on your screen makes it damned near impossible to navigate)
    2. Thread text messages
    3. Get rid of that ONE INBOX FOR ALL and create an email client that is usable.
    4. Step it up in the PIM / Calendar usability

Regardless of how damned sexy their form factor is and clear their screens are, I just can't use one...

For a $40 a month bberry data plan on sprint, I can't send attached files, can't edit my journal, which is 300 pages long, but only takes 10 seconds to open up on the 700p, but takes 10 minutes to open up on a bberry 8703.

Can't open / view / edit pdfs

It's impossible to tell whether the inbox message is an email or a text message

It's impossible to tell who you've sent text messages to and what you've sent.

My 700P can pretty much function as a laptop alternative...

The only major plus to the Blackberry is there's no 30 second lagtime while it sends emails and because emails are pushed you don't have to wait for it to check and download... but I can live with that on the Palm

If only we could load up the Palm OS on a blackberry curve, we'd have a thin sexy little smartphone!
    Quote Originally Posted by yahdoood View Post
    If only we could load up the Palm OS on a blackberry curve, we'd have a thin sexy little smartphone!
    I agree 100%. I don't agree that the BlackBerry 8300 is a "Treo Killer" at all...and there are some things that I already miss now that I am without a Treo, some big...but mostly small. I do really like the Palm OS...and that is what originally made me choose the Treo over any other smartphone out at that time...it is easy and functional, especially for a tech-n00b like me. I really like the BlackBerry, don't get me wrong...but I really was getting used to the Palm OS...

If Palm could stuff the Treo...with the Palm OS, into a slim & sexy form like the Curve...and even do away with the touchscreen...and be as effective an email delivery device..I would go back to the Treo in a heartbeat.
    Palm Centro - Secondary
    Until they

1. Make a blackberry that'll edit office dox. (MobileOffice or whatever it's called is AWFUL and takes 5 minutes to open up any document over ten pages long, and the way it looks on your screen makes it damned near impossible to navigate)
    2. Thread text messages
    3. Get rid of that ONE INBOX FOR ALL and create an email client that is usable.
    4. Step it up in the PIM / Calendar usability

Regardless of how damned sexy their form factor is and clear their screens are, I just can't use one...

For a $40 a month bberry data plan on sprint, I can't send attached files, can't edit my journal, which is 300 pages long, but only takes 10 seconds to open up on the 700p, but takes 10 minutes to open up on a bberry 8703.

The only major plus to the Blackberry is there's no 30 second lagtime while it sends emails and because emails are pushed you don't have to wait for it to check and download... but I can live with that on the Palm

Obviously, each person has their preference and what is important to them. I, for one, WILL NOT edit documents on my phone, so even though I had the option to with my 680 and 750, I never used that function and have spent a lot of $ over the years upgrading to the newest version of DocsToGo (HAHA). But, the BB has it's own niceties, which work perfectly for me. Those things are the OS that is robust and does not crash (never had a crash on a BB), excellent screen (lately) and works perfectly for email and phone capabilities. Also, when sending SMSes, I get a threaded chat, albeit, not like the experience on the Treo, but I can see the conversation from the past messages (what I wrote and what was written to me). Also, my BB Curve does have a separate mailbox for each account I have it checking and then it has 1 MAIN mailbox that'll show messages from all the other mailboxes and SMS, etc. in one place. This is where, I believe, Marc from Chatteremail got the idea for the Summary view in his software, ChatterEmail. I, for one, am not looking for a laptop replacement, but rather a device that can let me get emails on the go and make calls. If I need to edit a word document or see something really detailed in a PDF document, I'll just pop out the laptop and view it there.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Hey yahdoood,

You can seperate your emails and sms into seperate mailboxes now. It is a setting in the mail options.
    Until they

1. Make a blackberry that'll edit office dox. (MobileOffice or whatever it's called is AWFUL and takes 5 minutes to open up any document over ten pages long, and the way it looks on your screen makes it damned near impossible to navigate) I agree about Office programs. Hopefully developers are working on it now that BB is now commonplace.
    2. Thread text messagesOn the Pearl, you get the whole thread under the phone number you select. Works for me so far. You need to select "no" to hiding sent and filed messages under "general options".
    3. Get rid of that ONE INBOX FOR ALL and create an email client that is usable.What Rob and Tom said. And what exactly do you mean about the email client? The email client sets a standard, it's BB after all! You just have to use their closed system, which is one drawback.
    4. Step it up in the PIM / Calendar usability I didn't use the Calender yet, but what exactly is wrong with it?

My thoughts in red. I agree the Treo is more robust. But BB has proven to meet my needs as far as phone, text and email. I barely edit documents on my phones. I do agree that PDF documents should be opened and viewed.

But BB's easier to deal with than WM(not using Palm OS anymore).

Although I will be getting an 8525 anyway due to 3G data speeds and clarity of phone calls.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
    Now, my Crimson 680 is in the hands of USPS winging it's way to a TC member that dearly wanted a Crimson 680, but had a "boring" Graphite one already...and because she can and will use every conceivable feature on the device...it's going to an excellent "adoptive parent".
    She is here in her new home and doing very well adjusting to her new family. I have dressed her in pink and loaded her up with new apps and info to keep her busy for quite awhile...she'll be fine I'm sure she's happy to be with her sister Treos now, as opposed to that nasty little BB...

Thank you for your sweet generousity...it was totally above and beyond!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130 View Post
    I'm sure she's happy to be with her sister Treos now, as opposed to that nasty little BB...
    Nasty little BB.....?

I think my feelings are hurt. You know how emotionally fragile I am...

Nah....hope she is happy now. Couldn't have asked for a better home...
    Palm Centro - Secondary
    After having and loving the Treo 650 for 2.5 yrs, I bought the Windows based Treo 750. IT WAS AWFUL, in my opinion. Whether to blame it on Microsoft or Palm is uncertain, but it took twice as many keys to do the same thing as it did with the 650. I have regrettably made the switch to the BB Curve (8310 I think), and so far, love it. Its easy to use, its INCREDIBLY LIGHT, it has a small flash for the camera, and I am starting to really like the center trackball. The feel of the keys are much better than the palm 750, even though the key size is the same. While I am sure I will miss the ringer off switch, and some other really neat Treo features, the BB has made me a convert so far. I'll provide more feedback after using it more, but to me the 750 is awfull.
    im interrested by all your comments as im looking at getting a pda and want to make sure my luddite mind can grapple with it. sounds like the bb got the vote. is getting an unlocked version a bad idea for firmware updates etc? dont want to be stuck with this http://www.timtechs.com/unlocked-bla...ve-prd169.html
    if it is essentially aging the day i get it
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234