Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Hiya ^_^, I believe if the phone is well made, you should be able to live without the touch screen. I mean I love my Treo and I realize that I hardly ever use the touch screen, the one handed navigation is simply perfect.
    I agree; I don't need to touch my phone screen any more than I need to touch my laptop one. (I am getting a kick out of the novelty of tapping my new HP Touchsmart desktop screen.) The BBs are the most one-handable devices out there, especially the narrower ones. Pecking a fingernail repeatedly into the corner of my Treo screen just to check the battery is a two-handed process.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    Sorry, but anything without a touch screen is simply not even close to inflicting a flesh-would on a Treo, let alone killing it.

I find a touch screen essential for web browsing, doing crossword puzzles, sketching drawings in the notepad feature, even just basic navigation. My thumbs are big so I often use the on-screen type-pad instead of the regular keyboard too.
    Perhaps a Blackberry may kill the 680; it is moribund anyway but nothing without a touch-screen can touch a real Treo. It is easy to say you do not need while you have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigmattFromJeRSeY View Post
    I don't see any blackberry killing a treo any time soon.

why you ask they are so featureless. they just started with expandable memory and i heard there media player sucks. i use the 700wx and will never use plam and will never leave windows mobile for blackberry. windows mobile phones just have more stuff you can use them for. blackberry's are good for business people who need the simplest OS possible and get there email and they are happy.
    I agree that WM is a way more robust OS. I am still a fan of it. It's a mini computer OS, afterall!

But I decided to try a BB to see if it works for simple business use(phone, contacts, SMS, light email). If it's too weak, back to WM alone, permanently. No Palm OS ever again, unless they release a serious update!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I agree that WM is a way more robust OS. I am still a fan of it. It's a mini computer OS, afterall!

But I decided to try a BB to see if it works for simple business use(phone, contacts, SMS, light email). If it's too weak, back to WM alone, permanently. No Palm OS ever again, unless they release a serious update!
    No hope. Palm OS is dead. Best we can hope for is a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

what about the Symbian os in many Nokia and Sony phones?
    I used my E61 yesterday, and realized I still love it too! But I did test the Pearl and I have to tell you, if you AREN'T a serious power user(you need to do heavy work on your PDA), BB could be for you! However, WM blows the BB out of the water in terms of what it can do!

I decided to use it as my weekend smartphone!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Limitations on the BB that are without excuse: no calendar categories (this has been a Palm OS feature for years and business types have calendar categories for a while), screen resolution (this is a basic hardware decision). Seriously, I look at the BB devices and cringe when I see the fonts: knock Palm OS all you want, but the fonts on the Treo 650 are just awesome compared to the eye-sore on BB.

Limitations on Symbian devices: they have great hardware, a rock solid OS, and a decent (though nowhere near WMO and Palm OS) selection of apps; all of that is literally worth nothing due to the inexcusable synchronization software. First, they support over the air synchronization using an open standard (SyncML) out of the box. I was highly impressed, only to have my hopes dashed when I found that it doesn't allow you to sync categories on ANY of the PIM apps (including Contacts and Calendar).

These things seem so basic to me, and were a Palm feature since the very first Palm devices. While I think I could live without Calendar categories, it would be very painful not to have address book categories. This is such a basic thing that I am astounded it has not been addressed by the Symbian folks.

If categories don't matter to you, I would highly suggest Symbian based phones.
    again, so good to see some old stalwarts around here give new devices a try....

most anything is better than a Treo these days
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post

How sad.

if only that were true... been searching but nothing...

Too bad there is not a mostanythingcentral.com so that the people with much richer phones don't have to ghetto themselves here.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    if only that were true... been searching but nothing...

Too bad there is not a mostanythingcentral.com so that the people with much richer phones don't have to ghetto themselves here.
    Well, there are just so many features that POS and touch screen can overcome. There are at least a dozen features, available in other phones, that Treo users have been begging for [e.g., Wi-Fi, GPS, UMTS] and still do not have. I still have not seen a combination that I like better than my 650 but good design is difficult. When was the 650 announced?
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Well, there are just so many features that POS and touch screen can overcome. There are at least a dozen features, available in other phones, that Treo users have been begging for [e.g., Wi-Fi, GPS, UMTS] and still do not have. I still have not seen a combination that I like better than my 650 but good design is difficult. When was the 650 announced?
    WiFi would be cool but to screw around with. Are we actually going to use skype to make calls?

Most of us hav unlimited internet anyway so what exactly is the real use? GPS like in the 1/2 inch by 3 inch receiver I carry seperately? yeah that would be cool.
    UMTS ok Iwill give you that one... but for all the programs that do everything else my Treo does WITH TOUCHSCREEN which is huge, point me in a direction to a real phone with these functions, I want to be enlightened.

Anyone who doesn't think touchscreen is needed or that it will be a major part of future PC integration is on glue.
    interesting......have been on travel this weekend......we've read so many threads about how Treos are everywhere but now i may have to start a new one......in all seriousness, when you look around the pool deck where we're staying, all you see are blackberry devices (Pearls and 8300 types) and razr types (anything thin)......what a difference a year makes.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    interesting......have been on travel this weekend......we've read so many threads about how Treos are everywhere but now i may have to start a new one......in all seriousness, when you look around the pool deck where we're staying, all you see are blackberry devices (Pearls and 8300 types) and razr types (anything thin)......what a difference a year makes.
    The same folks are buying BBs as are buying RIMM stock. The people buying Apple stock can all afford an iPhone.
    i just bought the BlackBerry Curve phone today and I can say that I am really impressed by this device. I am going to be selling my Treo750 and using this BB full-time from now on. I mean, one thing that was really important to me that my 750 could not do ALL-THE-TIME was connect to my Acura Hands Free Link (BT). My BB does this without fail each time and also does not disconnect from the HFL when making or receiving calls. I will have to report back later if things change, since I've only used this phone for a few hours, but I must say that I am impressed enough to switch to the BB from the Treo, which I have been using since the 600 was out.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
    any camera? which carrier?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo View Post
    any camera? which carrier?
    if you're speaking of the BB Curve, yes it has a 2.0MP camera and it's with Cingular/AT&T.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone

I don't know about that. The 750 is a good merge of several requirements I need(WM and form factor mainly, also 3G). But even Palm OS Treos are better than any Motorola phone ANY day! I know some people who insist on using Moto phones for business. I don't know how!

P.S. I forgot about the Q, but the people I'm talking about are using non-PDA Moto phones. Makes no sense to me how you can do business with those, in this day and age!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 06/02/2007 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob View Post
    if you're speaking of the BB Curve, yes it has a 2.0MP camera and it's with Cingular/AT&T.
    I like the Curve, but it's time for a 3G BB. They gave one to Europe! What is home ground North America, chopped liver?

I will probably try it though. I can use the Pearl one-handed, but actualy like a full QWERTY board a bit better. I do so much texting!

I HATE sprint right now. If this phone had a camera & on Sprint I would jump at the chance. I will trade crappy fonts, no touchscreen & A few other minor things for a stable phone any day now!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast