1.    #1  
    My wife wants a Blackberry for the push email functionality. She is currently on Cingular almost out of contract. She had a Treo 650 once, but did not like it. I'm trying to get her to go with a WM6 device because she has hosted exchange email and the calendar syncing and push email would be really useful.

She wants it as small as possible, but with a full qwerty. I would prefer one that has WM6 or is guaranteed a free upgrade. She is by no means a power user...she just needs something simple that works.

Since she does not want a Treo, what device would you suggest?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Sounds as if you re talking about the T-Mobile Dash, which has got good reviews for good battery life, svelte size and nice rubberized finish. Also WM6 upgrade is apparently guaranteed.

Surur
    Looks like the PPC-6800 with Sprint & VZ will probably have the WM6 installed or upgraded...though not confirmed.
    It isn't a Cingular device, but I had a Dash on T-Mobile for a while and it was really, really sweet. Not necessarily something that a Treo addict would want (touchscreen is missing, mostly), but probably would work well for your purposes. I don't know if they are upgrading the Dash to WM6 or not.

EDIT: Surur beat me to it.
    Last edited by Tastypeppers; 04/18/2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: I'm slow.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guys...it looks like I'll be researching the Dash.
    HTC Vox
    You might want her to check out the Blackjack as well. Cingular has already committed to upgrading the Blackjack to WM6. The Dash and Blackjack are pretty much interchangeable. Dash obviously has WIFI but no 3G.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    I don't know about the Blackjack. I have just seen it from afar (it looks pretty).

But check out battery life when you compare the two. The battery life for the Dash--it did really well for me. Well, when I had wifi blazing it burned electrons pretty fast, but just phone/text/email/web? Just fine.

I think the Blackjack ships with two batteries. That fact alone sorta scares me.

This is coming from a guy (me) who always walks around with a spare battery for his Treo. Because you never know when you'll be marooned on a desert island and need a few more hours of dialtone to post to TC.
    True, but the spare battery which is larger and comes with a flush mount cover is pretty decent.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    its not WM6 but what about the Nokia e61?
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    its not WM6 but what about the Nokia e61?
    Isn't that a bit too big and wide for a lady?

Surur
    dash plz
    I'm on the htc tytn on t-mo right now, which is the same as the 8525 on cingular. it's a great device, but I'm starting to have the reset problem and getting frustrated. I decided to try the dash and it really is a great device: great battery life, small and convenient and as much as of a power user I am, I was actually able to find replacement apps for nearly everything for the Dash's "Smartphone" edition. The blackjack is basically very simmilar to the dash with the exceptions noted above. battery life on the dash is great, but I've heard from numerous sources that battery life on the blackjack is poor. however, I have also heard that the problem chiefly lies in the 3G. if you turn it off an run Edge instead, the battery life is supposed to be significantly better. I would say dash all the way, but if she needs to stay on cingular, then try the blackjack.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    OK, so you want push email, but you don't want to spend $40 or more a month for BB service? T-Mobile has it as a cheaper add-on with a voice plan, but come on... it's T-Mobile! I used them for a year with a BB and service got so bad they were giving me free months of service just so I wouldn't leave! Free is great, but useless if it doesn't work...

I now carry both a BB (work) and a Treo 700p from Sprint (personal) I have push IMAP email from my email provider works great with the $15 data plan from Sprint and Chatteremail+ 3.0

Up until the other day, the BB was almost boring because it just worked... Now the Treo, what fun it is to tinker
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Isn't that a bit too big and wide for a lady?

Surur
    I've never had a woman say that to me
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Can you get the HTC S710 in the US?

It's a lot like the TyTN/8525 but more useable as a phone.
    That what I was suggesting the Vox. Granted it does not have 3g but it does have wifi, but it comes with a keyboard and a decent 2mp camera.
  18.    #18  
    I do like the vox. That's a nice form factor