1.    #1  
    Yes. I'll admit it. I screwed up...bad.

I bought an HTC 8525 in order to "upgrade" over my 650. WHAT WAS I THINKING! This thing is kludge. Wifi and a few other neat features, but it is no where near as handy as the Treo 650 was. Multiple button presses...email slow as moleasses

I'm thinking of dumping this thing after only a month. What should the replacement replacement be? I'm tempted to pull the 650 out of retirmement.
    I second 700P. It is far and away the most stable (with RLock & Reset Dr.) than any previos Treo. I have been using my original 700 for 11 months now & for the first time since the Visor Deluxe + phone modual days feel NO need to upgrade.
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Whose your carrier? Do you want PalmOS or WM5 or 6?

I will assume PalmOS and Sprint in my answer.

Use the 650 until May -- then see what's up with the 700P ROM update or the rumored 755 on Sprint.

I like the extra memory and EVDO speed of the 700P over the 650 -- I have only had the ocassional lag going out of the Internet. Others have had more issues.
    I second Perry's recommendation.
    How about fixing your usability issues? Which PalmOS device is going to give you wifi, HSDPA and a 2 Megapixel camera at this moment?

Surur
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Wow. I switched from a 650 to an 8125 and LOVE it! Depending on what the iPhone performs like in June, I'll either get that or the 8525. No comment necessary, Surur :-)

Seriously, maybe you have a device or carrier issue. I've heard only good things about the 8525 until now...
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Isn't the 8525 a GSM only device? If so then wouldn't his carrier be Cingular or T-Mobile?
    According to HTC's website the 8525 is a Cingular phone. A 700p may not be an option if 1911sforever can't/won't change providers.
    ~Jessi~

Handspring Visor > Handspring Visor Edge - Silver > Handspring Treo 90 > Palm Tungsten T3 > Palm Treo 680 - Arctic
    I had a 650 and went to the tytn using t-mo, which is the same as the 8525. The wi-fi, 2.0mp camera, and 400mhz processor is great. However, over the past few days, i've definitely been getting frustrated with the resets that are sometimes necessary especially after switching from landscape to portrait. Overall, I'm not frustrated by Windows Mobile, but they need to make the devices run faster still. I had the mda before and it's definitely an improvement over it. But sometimes, WM vs. Palm reminds me of Windows vs. MacIntosh...the Palm turns right on and is immediately responsive. WM take to much time to get booted up and started.

I don't know if it's because of all of the apps and SPB Pocket Plus and Mobile Shell that I have running, but honestly without PocketPlus, the device would have to many issues.

I do like WM, but it just needs some useability enhancements to make it better.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73 View Post
    I had a 650 and went to the tytn using t-mo, which is the same as the 8525. The wi-fi, 2.0mp camera, and 400mhz processor is great. However, over the past few days, i've definitely been getting frustrated with the resets that are sometimes necessary especially after switching from landscape to portrait. Overall, I'm not frustrated by Windows Mobile, but they need to make the devices run faster still. I had the mda before and it's definitely an improvement over it. But sometimes, WM vs. Palm reminds me of Windows vs. MacIntosh...the Palm turns right on and is immediately responsive. WM take to much time to get booted up and started.

I don't know if it's because of all of the apps and SPB Pocket Plus and Mobile Shell that I have running, but honestly without PocketPlus, the device would have to many issues.

I do like WM, but it just needs some useability enhancements to make it better.
    I've had a T-Mo MDA for more than a year now, running PocketPlus, though not MobileShell. I agree that start-up time is the most frustrating thing about WM5, but my solution is basically never to turn the phone off unless I'm on an airplane. Means charging often, but so what. I'm surprised by the lockup problems. Maybe that's specific to the TyTn/8525. Over the year, I don't think I've had more than 3 lockups switching from portrait to landscape or back. By the way, my firm does not support EAS, but I've had Blackberry Connect running flawlessly for a month now. Integrates seemlessly with the built-in WM messaging app, as well as WM Office apps for attachment support.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    I've had about every Treo....enjoyed them and was equally frustrated with their instability.
    I've had the Tytn/8525 for about a year now and there is no WAY I could think about going back...for many reasons.
    if your hung up on an exposed querty keyboard, check out the HTC Cavalier released in May...it'll knock out the 750/700 on every front.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I've have the PPC-6700, it is basically a mix of the 8125 and the 8525, except for CDMA. I love the device. I have had mine for well over a year. I have had it replaced a few times for some issues, but really it is a great device. I can give you a list of a thousand things it can do that my Treo 650 couldn't. Maybe you got a bum unit, or maybe you don't know how to properly operate WM5. My buddy who has the 6700 has problems with his when he uses it, but when I pick it up, I have no issues. I think his is mostly operator error.
    You'er used to the one-handed usablity of the 650. I admit, it blows away the 8525. Not even on the same plane. But, I love my 8525, and use it more than my 750. Once you get used to it you learn how usable it really is. Especially with WM 6.0 installed, its stable as a rock and much more reliable than a Palm phone.