1.    #1  
    I've been on the Palm OS for years, and in the past few months have tried to do without in favor of a "normal" cell phone (without paying the data plan prices). But I just can't do without Outlook synchronization and the other perks that come with "more than a cell phone".

But the current Palm offering for Verizon (700p) is rather lackluster and I've read up on the issues (SMS lockup, lag, pTunes skipping, etc) and I know Marc Blank is now employed by Palm, but the overall roadmap of the OS (as well as the lack of rumored releases in the near future) seem bleak.

So I'm looking elsewhere.

I've tried to get myself to like Windows for mobile, but just can't, so that's 80% of the handhelds available for CDMA.

But what about Black Berry? I know they're geared more towards heavy email users, whereas the Palm OS and it's 3rd party apps gives you flexibility to make of it what you desire.

I've got a video ipod for movies and music, so I just need a phone, email, sms, and datebook. Anything else is just gravy.

I'd love to hear from those who have used both operating systems.
    Just went from 700p (Verizon) to Blackberry 8800 (Cingular).

8800 is rock solid in terms of stability and doing all the little things the Treos did not do right (voice dial, dialing extensions). Some limitations in the PIM, but if your looking for calendar, contacts, notes, tasks in a basic view it works.
    Thanks,

Mark

Palm III > Palm Vx > Sony Clie PEG760N > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    i did the blackberry before i went to wm devices. blackberrys are VERY stable devices. going from resets everyday to hardly any resets ever is a big change (pos to rim). my only thing was not as many apps and the price for blackbery data. if that is not an issue for you then the blackberrys are a good device. thay have some awesome devices lately and some cool ones coming up.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlissner View Post
    Just went from 700p (Verizon) to Blackberry 8800 (Cingular).

8800 is rock solid in terms of stability and doing all the little things the Treos did not do right (voice dial, dialing extensions). Some limitations in the PIM, but if your looking for calendar, contacts, notes, tasks in a basic view it works.

Did pretty much the same, went from Sprint 700p to 8800 cingular, very impressed with the phone and operation, everything works without any hicups (resets etc)

My only issues was with the unit itself the side "chrome" pieces were squeaky, but had no problem replacing the phone, one other thing Cingular offers NO insurance.
    I currently own a Treo 750 and a BB 8800. I am using the 8800 more now as I can get my company email on it. Our standard is Lotus Notes/Blackberry which doesn't give me a lot of options. The 8800 is a really nice device though. I am not ready to part ways with a Treo yet. I still find the Treo to be the best all-around device regardless of the size. With that said, I never found the size to be an issue. I believe its the best form factor from a comfort perspective. I am sure Palm will release something less bulky without totally giving up comfort. The 8800 does lack 3G, but given it's browsing capabilities are lacking it doesn't really matter. Even using Opera Mini which is a nice browser, but has a really clunky user interface. I am really digging voice dialing on the 8800. I have had the Pearl which has the same Voice Signal software as well. It works very well. It works in my opinion better then the MS Voice Command. However, you cannot do anything else other then dialing with the BB version.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  6.    #6  
    Thanks.

I'm on Verizon and the option now is the 8703e, which seems decent, but not nearly as nice as the 8800 series (which Verizon is rumored to be getting in June).

One thing that I'm wondering is if the Blackberry is as customizable as the Treo. Not as much in terms of 3rd party apps, but with default views, fonts, etc. That wasn't immediately clear when I was playing with one in the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post
    Thanks.

I'm on Verizon and the option now is the 8703e, which seems decent, but not nearly as nice as the 8800 series (which Verizon is rumored to be getting in June).

One thing that I'm wondering is if the Blackberry is as customizable as the Treo. Not as much in terms of 3rd party apps, but with default views, fonts, etc. That wasn't immediately clear when I was playing with one in the store.
    If you check out www.Blackberryforums.com, there are ways to install other carrier themes. The different themes provide a different look to the homescreen. The core applications remain the same.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  8.    #8  
    Not so much that, but when I was playing with the navigation on the 8703e, the font size on the menus, emails, and whatnot was huge.

Nowhere near as sleek as the 8800:

Again, I'm sure there is some level of customization. But without both in front of me with a lot of time to play with them, it's hard to get a feel for a comparison (to each other, or to the Palm OS).
    I had a 650, 700wx, 6700, Q, etc and just had enough with the tinkering, crashing, etc. I went from my Q to a 8703e 2 weeks ago and have been very pleased. No resets, lockups, etc. It just plain works all the time no matter what. Yes Sprints $39 is more than the $20 vision, but it includes PAM and the legendary BB push experience. I have my gmail setup...took 2 seconds to set up and it works flawlessly.

The PIM takes some getting used to, but overall the device is very fast and stable.

As I said it just works no matter what. As a critical business device, it fits my needs perfectly.

Highly recommended (I typed this from my BB- the keyboard is great).
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX View Post
    Not so much that, but when I was playing with the navigation on the 8703e, the font size on the menus, emails, and whatnot was huge.

Nowhere near as sleek as the 8800:

Again, I'm sure there is some level of customization. But without both in front of me with a lot of time to play with them, it's hard to get a feel for a comparison (to each other, or to the Palm OS).
    You can change fonts in the OS settings. They were huge because depending on the theme, the fonts get set to a certain size and style. You can override this within the OS settings. Very easy todo. The picture you posted is using the Vodafone theme. Its a nice theme except for the icons on the application screen. They all look alike in my opinion. The "today" screen shown in the picture is nice. I use it every so often.
    Brian McGuire
    I agree with the default 8703e's default theme/fonts. They liik like a 1980's typewriter. I downloaded the free Wave-Icon theme from RIM's website and the fonts are great.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    i did the blackberry before i went to wm devices. blackberrys are VERY stable devices. going from resets everyday to hardly any resets ever is a big change (pos to rim). my only thing was not as many apps and the price for blackbery data. if that is not an issue for you then the blackberrys are a good device. thay have some awesome devices lately and some cool ones coming up.
    I agree with the stability. When using a BB you get the sense that its a very solid OS. Other then lacking the "cool" features, it does what it does and does it well. Though the new devices are making up some ground in the cool feature area.
    Brian McGuire
    its funny...my brother's bachelor party was this weekend in Atlantic City. Everyone from NYC had their BB, and everyone west of the Hudson had their treo's...funny though that everyone who had their BB also had razrs for regular cell usage.
    My company provded a bb8703e and I personally own treo700p.

I would pay double for the treo over the bb. Here's what I very much dislike about bb:
    1. Screen size
    2. The crazy wheel-seems like mu thumb is going to fall off running this wheel up and down to locate something or move down on a screen.
    3. Keyboard layout- the $ sign is right where a . Should be so I constantly am ending sentenceswith$. Also the descriptons on keys are funky to me (maybe it's me)...the alt key is what you use to pick the 2nd letter or character option on a key and it's placed right where I would think the shift key should be located$
    4. When typing in a hurry and find a typo I haven't found a way to go to the middle of a sentence and correct a word(maybe there's a way), but seems the wheel will only allow me to go to the front or end of a sentence.
    5. I've had a hard time getting the ringer to work correctly. I have to into a sub menu & hunt for the change of ringer status and even with it set to high volume it seems it won't ring. So then I finally resort to changing a profile and get it to work.
    6 web sites are hard to read- yes I could increase font size, but the screen size is so small....then I have to run that wheel more .... Feeling like a rat on a wheel!!
    7.It takes more wheel clicks to do things than on palm os and would be so much better with a touch screen.

I would trade this for a treo in a heartbeat!!!

Granted I've only had bb 2-3 wks...but I'm pretty good with pda's.

Stability has not been an issue for me. My 700 is stable and so is bb. The only thing I like better on bb is battery life.
    I own the treo 680, and the BB 8800

8800 pros:
    superb BT headset support (nokia 800)and BT dialing by voice and reliabilty A+++
    Form factor is nice, very pocketable and ergonomic
    awsome GPS NAV support with Cingular's TeleNav option (9.99/mo)
    reliable OS in that your calls get through without issue no crashes
    Battery life is superb
    Push Email

8800 Cons:
    The Push email is slow getting to the phone, I have performed tests where accessing my email voluntarily vs the BB push recieved my email up to 30 minutes prior to recieving on the 8800!

I think the OS IS stable but is far from perfect
    there are many annoying facets of the OS ie.
    the call log doesnt show the time of call.. you must go to messages (where you also see calls AND messages) to look up the time ...huh???

Email message support for HTML is horrible, the attachment support is horrible, I feel the treo email is far superior. For a company known for EMAIL one would think that a BB would excel in this.. in my opinion it is the worst Email application in the industry in so far as support for attachments, links, HTML, etc.

You CANNOT create a Word doc, Excel etc without a third party application that is very expensive and works very poorly, also the docs MUST be sent via a server which is of course not free. I thought the BB was a business tool? Why wouldnt RIM produce a product that is able to create, edit, send and recieve a simple Word doc from the device??

very limited thrid party app support, just getting a list applicatiopn is tough on a BB.

The native PIM is antiquated beyond belief. There is no such thing as linking a contact to a meeting on a BB. etc etc.........

no camera (on the 8800)

I use the BB 8800 for one thing.. a solid BT connection in the car, it is the only phone I have ever used that actually works everytime with the BT headset.
    why can't other manufacturers complete this seemingly simple task???
    As for scrolling webpages, don't use the side wheel. Just press the spacebar and it will scroll by page. Very easy and it doesn't wear your thumb out. Using the wheel walks each link...takes forever.