View Poll Results: Would you buy the old Vx/IIIc

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the Vx is still a good machine

6 17.14%
  • Yes, but only if they lower the price further

14 40.00%
  • No, why would I want to pay $300 for a dead-end machine?

8 22.86%
  • No, my heart is set on the m500/m505

3 8.57%
  • Maybe, but Palm's poor plannning worries me

2 5.71%
  • Well, I was going to buy the m505, but the delay really ticked me off!

2 5.71%
  1.    #1  
    From a cnet article today:

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200...html?tag=mn_hd

In a briefing Tuesday afternoon to kick off the meeting, Palm CEO Carl Yankowski cautioned that the company will launch its m500 and m505 handhelds on time this spring but said the products won't be available in large volumes until later than originally hoped.

"Volume shipments are going to be a few weeks later than we had planned," he said.

In the meantime, the prices of the older palms are dropping throughout the web in an effort to reduce backed-up inventory. The question is, who would want spend $200-$300 on a Vx or a IIIc that is clearly going to be replaced by the newer models?

Not only are the m500 and m505 replacing the Vx and the IIIc, but the new m500 and m505 have different hardware (SD slot and new connector) that the older models cannot support.

Therefore, would anybody invest ~$300 on a product that is a dead-end?
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 04/11/2001 at 02:51 PM.
    Fat's
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    Therefore, would anybody invest ~$300 on a product that is a dead-end?
    Ah, but you see, *we* (the users here at VC) are no longer the target market/demographic for the Vx or IIIc. We, who assumably own a PDA of some type, aren't looking for a Vx or IIIc. We're looking at Edge's, M50x's and Clie's. The *new* target market for the Vx/IIIc is the "I'd really like to buy a PDA, but the price is prohibative." market. So if they slash costs, these people will hopefully buy one. Or so the logic goes.

Just my $.0314159
    "Hey! Check out these cresent-fresh skulls in my salad!"- Sifl & Olly
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    The question is, who would want spend $200-$300 on a Vx or a IIIc that is clearly going to be replaced by the newer models?
    EVERY model will eventually become dead-end, even the m505. I don't think the Vx and IIIc are that bad. Although they don't use the same add-on peripherals as the m500 series, they and their peripherals are available NOW. Support will probably continue for a while due to the large base of existing users. Meanwhile you'll have to wait for the m500 extensions and even for the m500 itself.

It's kind of strange how Palm announced the m500's to keep people from buying HS, but now people have stopped buying older Palms too. At least if you're in the PDA market, you now have great choices for $300 -- a sleek Vx, a color IIIc, or a fast SB-capable VPl.
    actually, when i read the article it peaked my interest. I've always like the Vx but always felt it was too expensive. Considering that lately i've come to realize that the main purpose of my visor is a PIM with database storage for work, the idea of buying a really cheap Vx sounds great!

I'm waiting to see 'how low can the price go?'. but eventually i think i may pick up a Vx to replace my aging VDx (cracked and creaky and all that).

I also look forward to flashing in an upgraded OS.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    I realy like the Vx design, and because of my experience with the PPC, I don't think that any expansion on a palm can be executed so that I'll like it, haveing said that, the possibilites with the MinstralV and verizon's plan are great. Havening said that, I don't think that I'd get it...

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    I own my Visor out of necessity. I truly need to have a PDA to keep me organized and to store information that I use often. I consider buying my Visor one of the best retail purchasing decisions I have ever made.

I just bought a VDx on Wednesday after having a basic 2mb Visor for about a year (running out of internal memory to store data that can't be stored on flash module). I decided to upgrade right now because I was able to get the VDx for $110 (with the price match/coupon/rebate deal).

Here's my personal bottom line: I love technology and I love my Visor. However, I don't need color; I don't need a metal casing; I don't need a faster processor. I need something that is reliable, functional and solid. I purchased the VDx because the price was phenominal. That doesn't mean that financial restrictions keep me in the "old" Visor category. I looked at the Edge, Prism, Platinum and Palm V. I looked at them just last weekend with the intention of purchasing one of them. However, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. They don't really offer anything more or different than what I have now. I don't want (or need) all of the latest and greatest bells and whistles so a VDx suits me perfectly.

Some people need what an Edge, Prism or Platinum offers. If I was one of those people I would probably have one of them. Thankfully, though, there are options for those of us who do not want one.

Someday I will be forced to upgrade due to lack of support for a VDx. Until that day comes, I will live happily with what I have.

So, to answer the question, this is why someone would buy a Visor Deluxe.
  7.    #7  
    Just to be clear, the Vx is the Palm Vx that Palm is trying to liquidate... not the VDx (visor deluxe) .
    Fat's
    What really bothers me, with the discounted Palm Vx and IIIc, is that these are dead end products that Palm will be phasing out with in the coming months. Why buy a product that isn't going to be supported much longer? Although I do have to admit, the prices are irresistible! I've seen prices on the Palm IIIc as low as $250 on the web! Damn hard to resist that.
    Originally posted by foo fighter
    What really bothers me, with the discounted Palm Vx and IIIc, is that these are dead end products that Palm will be phasing out with in the coming months. Why buy a product that isn't going to be supported much longer? Although I do have to admit, the prices are irresistible! I've seen prices on the Palm IIIc as low as $250 on the web! Damn hard to resist that.
    Not if you already own a Prism...
  10.    #10  
    What really bothers me, with the discounted Palm Vx and IIIc, is that these are dead end products that Palm will be phasing out with in the coming months. Why buy a product that isn't going to be supported much longer
    That's exactly I way I feel about it. Makes the whole Palm pre-announcement of the m500 and m505 that much more of a disaster.
    Fat's
    What really bothers me, with the discounted Palm Vx and IIIc, is that these are dead end products that Palm will be phasing out with in the coming months. Why buy a product that isn't going to be supported much longer?

huh....[Dream Mode ON] (you can make the Wayne's world 'deeddlleee dooo' sound)

OS3.1h, larger springboard slot (not that it'll be discontinued but i think that many developers will adapt the edge's new connector for future stuff)...

why should somebody buy a product that will be phased out in the near future?

[Dream Mode OFF]

considering the number of people still buying a VDx and the number of people (some i even know personally! <gasp!>) still using the old Palm Professionals...I think you'll see alot of people buy the Vx. Because the majority of us (i'll include myself in this group) use our handhelds for PIMs. Not too interested in built in MP3, massive amounts of super-storage, or digital photography capability (I LOVE my Elph S100)

Just a thought. I know, it's hard to imagine buying yesterday's product when you strive to be on the cutting edge, but some of us don't mind!
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    I got rid of my Ice VDx to buy the new Edge, but changed my mind when I saw the Palm Vx go to $299. With a $40 coupon for Staples, I am the proud owner of a Vx for $259 +tax. I just couldn't justify the additional $140 for the edge or the upcoming 50x series.
    Geoff H.
    Also, Palm has been selling "reconditioned" Palm IIIc for $209.00 on the Palm store. Thats damn hard to resist for color. I've thought about getting it, and giving my wife my VDx, as I don't need the springboard as much as I need a screen that I can see in the dark...

(And yes, I know that the visor color is much better. Its also *mucho* more dinero)

Tucson Sailors
    Originally posted by tucson_sailors
    (And yes, I know that the visor color is much better. Its also *mucho* more dinero)
    This will help push you in the direction of the 3C; it uses the same screen hardware as the Prisim, and with an upgrade to os 4.0 it will be the same quality...
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    Originally posted by Celchu19
    This will help push you in the direction of the 3C; it uses the same screen hardware as the Prisim, and with an upgrade to os 4.0 it will be the same quality...
    I don't think this is correct. The reason for the difference in screen depth is due to the controller chip for the video, IIRC, and not the OS. They do use the same screen, but that's not what dictates the color depth of the IIIc or the Prism.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Celchu19

You're also assuming that the IIIc will have a flash upgrade to 4.0 issued. If the presence of an expansion slot is as critical to the OS as it seems, the IIIc may not be able to use the new OS - or they'd have to reverse-engineer the SD capabilities out of it.