1.    #1  
    "In 2006, Symbian was estimated to have a 73% share of the smartphone OS market, yet our forecast is that it will to fall to 46% by 2012, due to strong competition coming most notably from Linux, but also from Windows Mobile."
    http://www.abiresearch.com/abiprdisplay.jsp?pressid=826

Massive pinch of salt required with all of these things of course, but if Linux does take off that could be good for both ACCESS and Palm with their Linux-based OSs. With a bunch of Linux offerings out there or in the works you have to wonder though if it isn't already looking a bit fragmented. Vodafone has already said that it will limit the smatphones it sells to S60, WM and Linux:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2006/1...ree-platforms/

If they're really limiting Symbian to S60 (so no UIQ!) it seems unlikely they'll support every Linux offering that turns up on their doorstep. If they go with just one I guess that might be whatever comes out of LiMo:

http://www.limofoundation.org/sf/sfmain/do/home

More info here (pdf):

http://www.limofoundation.org/sf/doc...n.root/doc1012

Seems to me Palm and ACCESS need to get their Linux OSs out of the door asap or they'll be missing the boat.
    I'm so glad to hear this... I wish the world would be rid of the Symbian virus... and Java too, but that is asking for too much.

I guess Symbian was ok for primitive devices...

In a perfect world only PalmOS and WM (no, not Linux) will survive.

- mvk
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I guess Symbian was ok for primitive devices...
    Are you sure you're not confusing it with Palm OS?

Here's a question for you. Of the two, Palm OS and Symbian phones, which can you get with true multi-tasking, UMTS, HSDPA, Wifi, integrated GPS, a 5 M pixel stills camera, a 30 fps video camera, and a better than 320x320 screen? Hint: it's not Palm.

I moved from a Palm OS device to a Symbian device last year and couldn't be more pleased. It's not just that the E61 has the data connectivity and multi-tasking I wanted, but it also has a great set of bundled apps, a pretty good UI and is rock-solid stable (a blessed relief after the Treo 650).

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Palm to rise from the ashes as a Linux-driven phoenix OS with the power of Symbian/S60 and Windows Mobile, but to pretend that Palm OS 5 is anything close to a modern OS and to think that it's anything but more primitive than Symbian is just plain silly.

In a perfect world only PalmOS and WM (no, not Linux) will survive.
    Why? You think having more than two compelling choices is a bad thing? Perhaps there comes a point when there are too many choices, but wouldn't it be nice if in five years time you could go into your retailer and choose from great devices running Symbian, WM, Palm OS (modernised and Linux-based of course), OS X and perhaps a couple of others? Even if you come out with a Palm or WM phone don't you think that competition over the preceding years would mean you'd be getting a better device?

Btw, Palm OS surviving and Linux not are probably incompatible notions. ACCESS's OS we know will be Linux-based and it seems very likely that Palm are making there own Linux OS too. Guess that leaves you with just WM.
  4.    #4  
    I'm so glad to hear this... I wish the world would be rid of the Symbian virus...
    Also, you do realise don't you that even if ABI is right and Symbian falls to 46% by 2012, it would still in all probability be the most popular OS?
    What wrong with Symbian, Green Hex?! My Nokias work fine! Clean interfaces always work for me. I also do not have a problem with functionality.

Anyway, I can see WM taking a chunk. The new WM6 seems the best one they ever had, so far. WM is also my favorite, but that's just personal preference *cough* Green Hex*cough*.

And Java is cool! SE phones use it, so I doubt it will go anywhere.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    You like clean interfaces and WM's your favourite?

Just kidding, but I would say that the UI is a real weakness for WM. The Palm, S60 and iPhone UIs all look better to me and I find both Palm and S60 quicker and more intuitive (haven't tried OS X on the iPhone of course).
    Good to see so many responses..., the fact is, it really does not matter what my personal preferences are. But they just happen to be my "saved" preferences...

Despite everything, we will continue to have Symbian and Linux based phones (lower end Nokia phones have S#0, whatever). I was just drawing a parallel with desktop Linux which has really failed to take off, whatever one might think. Imagine a product that costs money (MS Windows, USD 200???) is unable to beat a FREE (Linux) alternative. That really tells us something. I'm sure that same will repeat in the mobile/ smartphone space. It really doesn't matter if Linux is more stable than Windows.

I think that is mainly to do with the user interface. Linux, despite KDE and Gnome (or maybe because of it) presents a clunky, amateruish face, that simply turns people off. Also, the GUI is really slow on current machines.

As for Symbian, there is something about it that I simply don't like, can't put my finger on it. I used to simply tire of using my S40 Nokia 6650 (it is Nokia's first 3G (UMTS) phone). As OS functionality becomes more complex, the more cumbsome all the menu stuff becomes. The interface is good on simple phones with simple functionality.

As for WM, it has a really stupid interface (I suppose they tried to copy Symbian), but it has to succeed given MS's might and market (corporate ???) preferences.

A word about Java... The moment somebody says "Java" the air around me freezes and turns to jelly, time slows down and everything happens in slow motion. I c..a..n'..t m....o....v...e m....y h......a......n.......d. Like they say, "Java is the new Cobol"

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 03/22/2007 at 11:03 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Despite everything, we will continue to have Symbian and Linux based phones (lower end Nokia phones have S#0, whatever)
    GreenHex, I think you might be mistaken here. Series 40 (S40), which is found on Nokia's low-end phones, doesn't (as far as I'm aware) have anything to do with Symbian. S40 is based on a proprietary OS ('Nokia OS' or 'ISA'):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_OS

The OSs from Nokia that are based on Symbian are S60, S80 and S90. (All recent devices have been S60 and it's likely that's the only Symbian-based OS we'll see from Nokia for the foreseeable.) By the criterion that you have to be able to add third-party apps, Series 40 isn't even a smartphone OS.

As for Symbian, there is something about it that I simply don't like, can't put my finger on it. I used to simply tire of using my S40 Nokia 6650
    Yeah, that's a Series 40 device not a Symbian device.

You might consider giving S60 a go. I'm a big fan of the Palm UI and I found it suits me just fine. They've come a long way since Series 40 on the 6650 in 2003!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    GreenHex, I think you might be mistaken here. Series 40 (S40), which is found on Nokia's low-end phones, doesn't (as far as I'm aware) have anything to do with Symbian. S40 is based on a proprietary OS ('Nokia OS' or 'ISA'):
    I stand corrected... I guess prejudices (and preferences) run far and deep...

Thanks, marcol!

- mvk
  10.    #10  
    Hey, no problem. I've lost count of the things I've learned on this site. Also, Nokia's nomenclature really doesn't help - easy to assume (incorrectly) that 'S' in S40, S60 etc stands for Symbian.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    You like clean interfaces and WM's your favourite?

Just kidding, but I would say that the UI is a real weakness for WM. The Palm, S60 and iPhone UIs all look better to me and I find both Palm and S60 quicker and more intuitive (haven't tried OS X on the iPhone of course).
    I clear away the clutter off the Today screen. I remove what I barely ever use and keep what I do frequently use. WM does give that option, but I wonder if people just aren't using it. I also use a launcher that offers cascading menu trees. WM is my favorite because I got more use out of it than any other mobile OS.

I do like the interface of Symbian though!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!