1.    #1  
    For such a small device:

400MHz samsung. QVGA screen and connectivity wise is WIFI,GPS (Yes GPS),3G,GPRS,EDGE,Bluetooth2.0,2Mpix Cam,Thumkeyboard and only 50x100x19 and 120g!!!.

The only cons
    • No touchscreen -> Useful in some apps (arguably)
    • No front keyboard -> Difficult one hand use (arguably as well).

All info here: PDADB HTC S730

Release Date: July, 2007
    Dimensions: 50 x 100 x 19 millimetres
    Mass: 120 grams (battery included)

Software Environment
    Operating System: Windows Mobile 6 Standard
    Microprocessor
    CPU: 32bit Samsung SC32442
    CPU Clock: 400 MHz

Memory, Storage capacity
    ROM capacity: 128 MB
    RAM capacity: 64 MB
    Hard Disk capacity: Not supported

Display
    Display Type: color transflective TFT , 65536 scales
    Display Resolution: 240 x 320
    Display Diagonal: 2.4 "

Sound
    Microphone: mono
    Speaker: mono
    Audio Output: Proprietary jack

Cellular Phone
    Cellular Networks: GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS850, UMTS1900, UMTS2100
    Cellular Data Standards: CSD, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA

Call Alert: 72 -chord melody
    Vibrating Alert: Supported

Control Peripherals
    Positioning Device: Not supported
    Keyboard: Slide-out QWERTY-type keyboard, 31 keys
    Directional Pad: 5 -way block
    Jog / Scroll Wheel: Pressable rotary scroll wheel

Interfaces
    Expansion Slots: SDIO, microSD, TransFlash
    Serial: RS-232 , 115200bit/s
    USB: USB 2.0 client, 60Mbit/s , USB Series Mini-B (mini-USB) connector
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth 2.0
    Wireless LAN: 802.11b, 802.11g

Satellite Navigation
    Built-in GPS: NMEA 0183

Built-in Digital Camera
    Main Camera: CMOS sensor, 1.9MP
    Macro Mode: Supported
    Built-in Flash: Mobile light (LED)

Secondary Camera: CMOS sensor, 640x480 pixel
    Power Supply
    Battery: Lithium-ion polymer , removable
    Battery Capacity: 1050 mAh
    All these very nice Smartphones are really starting to tempt me, but I want things that only the full PocketPC environment has, such as the notes app. Most people say the Smartphones are much better phones than the PocketPC phones, but I need a pocket computer also :sigh:

Surur
  3.    #3  
    I do agree surur, however if your problem is only the notes app. or the task manager both are included in the smartphone version of WM6!

(see here for full review: HTC 710 Review . WM6
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    All these very nice Smartphones are really starting to tempt me, but I want things that only the full PocketPC environment has, such as the notes app. Most people say the Smartphones are much better phones than the PocketPC phones, but I need a pocket computer also :sigh:

Surur
    Smartphone is awesome man (I have the Q). One thing that I'm really liking recently about the platform is the 'Back' button to cycle to your last app. Down with the 'OK' button lol.. gotta try it to know what I mean.

Anyhoo, I use this for Notes and it is great, it's called SmartphoneNotes and it synchronizes perfectly with your Notes in Outlook:

http://www.syncdata.it/sphnotes.html

Cool. Thx both of you. I will try the WM6 Smartphone emulator, and if I can do all the work I can do on the PPC platform I may just go for something like the Wings.

Surur
    Is this the same phone the HTC Libra and the HTC VOX?
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Is this the same phone the HTC Libra and the HTC VOX?
    Libra is CDMA, Vox is GSM without 3G. So in a way this is the direct successor to the Vox.

Surur
    i asked this in another thread but got no answer..

i'm really tempted by the libra but am wondering how stripped a smartphone is versus a pocket pc? i'm no "power user" by any means and just want to text, browse websites, listen to music on mortplayer (or alternative), and watch tv shows on tcpmp. will a smartphone be able to do these things as well as a ppc?
    Really didn't the Vox just come out this month since it does have WM6? WowI have to say HTC is quick, Palm better learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by morphiend View Post

i'm really tempted by the libra but am wondering how stripped a smartphone is versus a pocket pc? i'm no "power user" by any means and just want to text, browse websites, listen to music on mortplayer (or alternative), and watch tv shows on tcpmp. will a smartphone be able to do these things as well as a ppc?
    Smartphone can do all of those things very well! TCPMP itself runs very well on the smartphone platform (i use it). Pocket IE is the same as the PPC version (small interface differences, same rendering).

Just want to add that *threaded* SMS isn't really available on the smartphone platform at this point, in good form. And I don't think mortplayer will work, but there are plenty of music playing alternatives, Pocket Player being a good one.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Wow. This is the first upcoming non POS handheld that has really interested me (1st gen iPhone included). The specs look very nice. I'm looking forward to some side-by-side comparissons of this phone in the next few months.
    1050mah...ugh.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    1050mah...ugh.
    You have to remember, the Dash was able to squeeze out 10 hours of talk time on a 960mah battery. That said, this one is 3G so we have yet to see how well HTC's impressive battery life techniques scale with the technology.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by morphiend View Post

morphiend:

My sequence of smartphones has been the following Treo270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Qtek 9100 (WM5 PocketPC) -> HTC 620 (WM5 Smartphone).

So I have already done the transition from PocketPC to Smartphone and all of those applications you mentioned are available in the Smartphone version. The only uses that I have missed are notes (this is solved in WM6 and as already mentioned there are alternatives) and cut an paste tools (there are alternatives for this too), and if you dont miss the touchscreen that much - I dont - it does almost everything that a WM Pocket PC will do.
    thanks for the replies guys you've made my decision tougher whether to stay with the 6700 or "downgrade" to the libra.

is it confirmed whether or not the 6800 and libra will have evdo rev a or not?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    the reports HTC submitted to FCC say the only difference mode1 and mode2 models will have of the 6800 will be on the outside, all hardware inside will be identical.

that being said, internally the hardware is capable of rev a.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    i read in various other tech blogs that the picture of it running as a pocket pc is either photoshopped or just some sort of advertising shot. it would make more sense that it's a smartphone since all the other brands of it are wm6 standard and not professional..?
    Slightly off topic, but I read in the version of WM coming out after WM6 (I forget the codename) that the two code lines will be combined and you'd get the phone features of smartphone with the touchscreen features of pocketpc. Anyone know more about this? If this eventually happens and works well, it might finally convince me to move from POS. (Assuming Palm doesn't fix something fast, that is.)