View Poll Results: Do you think that.....

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Visors are better than every PDA and the rest of them should go to hell

1 2.13%
  • Pocket PC is trash and is no competition for palm

5 10.64%
  • PocketPC is cool, but the Visor is more suited to my uses

20 42.55%
  • PocketPC is cool but the Visor fits my budget

9 19.15%
  • I'd get a PocketPC if I could afford one

4 8.51%
  • I am a MAC user who likes the power of pocketPC but can't use it for obivious reasons

3 6.38%
  • there are serious flaws in the Pocket PC operating system that prevent me from upgradeing.

4 8.51%
  • I am a Linux\Unix user who can't use PPC for obvious reasons

0 0%
  • All PDAs are too expensive be they palm's or PocketPCs

1 2.13%
  • Forget PocketPC or Visor I like my Netwon

0 0%
  1.    #1  
    Ok, this thrread/poll is so that I can figure out how much of the Visor Central comunity belive that the PocketPC is evil while Palm rules and will rule untill the apycolypse; and how many of you are palm users who think that Palm and Pocket PC shouldn't realy be left in the same catagorie because they are realy aimed at different markets. I also want to see what everyone's thoughts are on this issue.

so have at it people (ps. I'm posting this from my iPAQ with stowaway, and this is mighty cool...)

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    PocketPC is cool, but the Visor is more suited to my uses
    PocketPC is cool but the Visor fits my budget
    I'd get a PocketPC if I could afford one

All of the above are true for me. =) I might get a PPC as a second PDA if I could afford it. =)
    Is there a site dedicated to PocketPCs somewhere? I'd be curious to see if there are as many insecure Palm users who go to those sites trying to do this sort of stuff.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby
    Is there a site dedicated to PocketPCs somewhere? I'd be curious to see if there are as many insecure Palm users who go to those sites trying to do this sort of stuff.
    The only one I know of is http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/

I only go there for the screen protector template they offer, the template works with most PDA.. (I use this template to cut my $0.50 wal-mart clear vinyl sheet)
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    Originally posted by EricG
    The only one I know of is http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/

I only go there for the screen protector template they offer, the template works with most PDA.. (I use this template to cut my $0.50 wal-mart clear vinyl sheet)
    I went to their message board, and as expected, there were almost no mentions of Palms, nevertheless Palm owners going there trying to find out what PocketPC users thought of Palms.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I voted for "Mac user..." Additionally, I'd vote for "Visor...more suited to my needs."
    When I get a little money I buy books; if any is left, I buy food and clothes.
    After having gone through several PocketPC devices, my general opinion is that they are not quite there yet. Both the OS and software seem to have many rough edges. I've seen many inconsistent interface issues, most notably the ability to switch between and close apps. PPC's GUI is a drastic improvement over the truly awful WinCE interface, but it still has a way to go. The hardware is also a problem. Most of the current devices are simply too large/heavy and have impractical designs. Take the iPAQ for example; it's sleek, stylish, lightweight...but it has no screen protection! I don't feel comfortable shoving a "naked" PDA into my pocket without some type of lid. Right now the only PPC with flip-lid is the Jornada, and that thing is way too heavy.

Another problem is that overall performance varies widely from device to device. The iPAQ performs extremely well, but the Jornada is pitiful in comparison. Casio devices seem to fall somewhere in the middle...not too slow, but not that fast either. CPU fragmentation is a big problem. PPC has 3 different CPU flavors; SH3-MIPS-ARM. And all software MUST be compiled for each of the processor architectures in order to run. The result: You can't exchange programs with other PPC users who have a different device from yours, and some software is only available for a particular device...usually the iPAQ. This was a horrible blunder on Microsoft's part, and it's a never ending problem that continues to dog the PPC platform. Microsoft should simply standardize on one CPU (ARM) and be done with it.

This fall new devices running Talisker (PocketPC 4) should start appearing. Rumor has it that these new devices will be thinner/lighter than the current line up, and the OS will have an improved GUI with skinning capabilities (ala Windows XP). This could be what Hawkins and Dubinsky are eluding to by mentioning the possibility of licensing "other" OS's.

Regardless of what you may think of PocketPCs, I'm happy to have a choice other than PalmOS devices. Microsoft is putting a great deal of pressure on Palm...and that is EXACTLY what they need! Palm has pretty much sat on its *** for the past 5 years, just assuming we will always be happy with whatever they give us. Not true. The days of PDA's being simple electronic organizers is slowly coming to an end. PocketPC, like the Newton, is simply ahead of the market. When that catches up...who knows what will happen. But either way, I'm happy to see competition in the market.
    Last edited by foo fighter; 04/06/2001 at 12:40 PM.
    Originally posted by foo fighter

Regardless of what you may think of PocketPCs, I'm happy to have a choice other than PalmOS devices. Microsoft is putting a great deal of pressure on Palm...and that is EXACTLY what they need! Palm has pretty much sat on its *** for the past 5 years, just assuming we will always be happy with whatever they give us. Not true. The days of PDA's being simple electronic organizers is slowly coming to an end. PocketPC, like the Newton, is simply ahead of the market. When that catches up...who knows what will happen. But either way, I'm happy to see competition in the market.
    I agree 100%, but I don't think we should be too hard on the PalmOS for not having too many major innovations since 95. Its elegance is something that is sorely lacking in virtually every other device with a microchip, from Cell Phones to PCs (macs included). Just as we should be happy that we have an alternative to the less gagety PalmOS, we should also be happy we have an alternative to the buggy, gaget-ridden PPC. The pressure is working both ways.
    {...} CPU fragmentation is a big problem. PPC has 3 different CPU flavors; SH3-MIPS-ARM. And all software MUST be compiled for each of the processor architectures in order to run. The result: You can't exchange programs with other PPC users who have a different device from yours, and some software is only available for a particular device...usually the iPAQ. {...}
    Oog...I thought they had changed that with the PocketPC OS. That was one of the biggest problems I had with WinCE. None of the apps that I thought were actually interesting would run on my E-11. Glad I didn't wait around before buying my VDx.
    Toby was dismayed and said:
    Oog...I thought they had changed that with the PocketPC OS.
    Actually they have. On PocketPCs you can produce a pseudocode program that will run on all platforms. This is great for apps where performance is not an issue, but any kind of game or multimedia app is still going to need to be CPU specific.
  11.    #11  
    Another problem is that overall performance varies widely from device to device. The iPAQ performs extremely well, but the Jornada is pitiful in comparison. Casio devices seem to fall somewhere in the middle...not too slow, but not that fast either. CPU fragmentation is a big problem. PPC has 3 different CPU flavors; SH3-MIPS-ARM. And all software MUST be compiled for each of the processor architectures in order to run. The result: You can't exchange programs with other PPC users who have a different device from yours, and some software is only available for a particular device...usually the iPAQ. This was a horrible blunder on Microsoft's part, and it's a never ending problem that continues to dog the PPC platform. Microsoft should simply standardize on one CPU (ARM) and be done with it.
    While I aggree that the processor fragmentation is an issue, I think that not being able to get software for the iPAQ isn't realy a probelm, you can get most things for the iPAQ athat you can get for the othe ppcs
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    PocketPC is very appealing but there really isn't anything that makes it more attractive than a Palm except for better sound and a higher resolution.

I'm actually very happy with my Prism's current resolution, the 16-bit makes most pictures look fine - I wouldn't mind that higher resolution for when I'm reading an E-Book though. I'm very dissapointed in the speaker though. In my opinion one of the coolest thing you can do with the PPC is get TV shows & put it on the device. With the new Sony though, the gap has shrunk to practically nothing and I'm looking forward to the next generation of Palm OS with comparable features.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    I own a Visor Deluxe and an iPaq PPC. I have used the Visor for the last 12 months and think it is an awesome PDA. But switching to the Pocket PPC seemed like a natural progression to me. I would consider myself a power user and am constantly trying out new and often beta software.

The Visor is a bit smaller and lighter but I find myself using the iPaq almost exclusively. I have found excellent replacements for every piece of software that I used on my Visor including HanDbase which has now been ported to the PPC platform and works flawlessly. It even allows me to sync all the databases that I created with my Visor directly to my iPaq. There are excellent programs that allow you to switch and close programs on the PPC and many are freeware.

Also my experience with my Visor is that it tends to need a lot more Hard resets than I care for. With the iPaq I have found a lot more stability. I have never had to do a hard reset with it. I have had a few soft resets but those were to clear out Beta software that gave me trouble.

Although I don't listen to MP3's often it is nice having a 128MB compact flash card and the ability to listen to hours of music. Coupled with a great color screen and Pocket Word, Pocket Excel and Pocket Internet Explorer as applications that came with the iPaq I think it is a superior PDA.

Although I will continue to use my Visor I can't help but to feel that my Pocket PC gives me a lot more bang for my buck.

just my .02 cents
    "there are serious flaws in the Pocket PC operating system that prevent me from upgradeing."

This statement is in contradiction with itself. How can a system have serious flaws and someone consider it an upgrade to purchase.

The bottom line is if you want to carry a small version of a laptop computer that ways more, costs more, and crashes more than a Palm OS based unit then buy a Pocket PC version 3. The iPaq has come close but I beleive a tell tale sign of their lack of effectiveness is their poor performance in market share considering their fantastic color screen. Also, HP has announced that they are considering building platforms based upon the Palm OS.......this after 4 years of poor sales relative to developmental costs for PPC.

Palm OS is the way to go.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    If you want to read what other Palm OS users have to say other than here, go to http://www.brighthand.com there you will find a discussion board that operates very similar to this one. They discuss mostly Pocket PC, however, do have a substantial amount of info on the Palm units as well.

I know you guys have mixed feelings about Pocket PC and the Pocket OS, and I know they weigh more and are bigger...but mostly I hear of complaints about the HP's and iPaq's. Have you ever used a Casio before (either the E-125 or EM-500)? I would be interested in hearing your comments about that...since Casio does have the better screen and superior dependability when it comes to comparing it to Compaq and HP.

Thanks,

Sam
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by yosemitesamiam
    If you want to read what other Palm OS users have to say other than here, go to http://www.brighthand.com there you will find a discussion board that operates very similar to this one. They discuss mostly Pocket PC, however, do have a substantial amount of info on the Palm units as well.
    I know brighthand well, and I try to be active in that board too, but when it is about 4 times as active as this one, manageing that and this one and school gets to be a hard thing

Bright hand is a great site and the boards are very helpfull.

as for the casio units, they are both good, and if you want something reliable and sturdy then go for the e125, unless you are on a big budget then I don't recomend geting a em500 because there aren't any expansion cards (it uses MMC/SD, though i don't know if the non-memory SD cards will work, but in order to test them out one would need to exist...). Also there isn't a Stowaway for the casio's yet, think outside didn't say anythign the last time i checked, but I did her some noise concerning one, but if keyboards are an issue for you, there is a GoType
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist

From what I hear, there is supposed to be a Stowaway for the Casio's coming the tail end of this year.
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>