View Poll Results: Why do you prefer or dislike a slideout?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • less big than a Treo, larger screen, and i don't mind the slidout

5 23.81%
  • prefer a larger keyboard regardless how frequently i type

0 0%
  • prefer a Treo as a slideout keyboard doesn't outweight the benefit of a larger screen

5 23.81%
  • slideouts no matter what they offer aren't for me

11 52.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    trying to find the allure of a slideout keyboard device. they add additional length/width (when in use and perhaps not in use) and perhaps weight (bulk?) on the margin. they also add an additional two steps when wanting to text/type. positively speaking, they typically add a much larger screen (touchscreen) and i can't think of much more since i've only owned a ppc6600 and i730 (small screen/fonts) which both were disappointments for me.

what makes today's best slideout any better than the beloved form factor of their most favorite Treo? is it that the slideouts are smaller in design? given that this is TreoCentral maybe you don't like slideouts at all......lets see!

forgive the typo in the poll, #3: outweigh
    Last edited by oalvarez; 02/24/2007 at 01:11 PM.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
    I don't like the idea of the primary means of input for a device being a moving part which is prone to failure.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I'm with bclancy.
    I would prefer if you added "I type a lot" to your options list, as that seems to be missing, and that should really be the main reason why one would prefer one, as one can get large screen tablet type phones (the IPhone, various HTC and other devices) completely without a keyboard.

Surur
  5.    #5  
    ^^ i would think that one that types more frequently would despise having to pull out the keyboard and turn it around, each and every time.

if you type a lot and prefer a slideout for that reason, great! but it's not for me.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 02/24/2007 at 01:59 PM.
    I am talking in general of course, and not of you specifically, but I think its not the frequency that one type thats important, but the volume. Many short snatches call for an always exposed keyboard, but typing a two page e-mail 3 times per day suggests the need for a large keyboard.

Surur
  7.    #7  
    totally agree. so if you type more frequently you would probably care less for a slideout. conversely speaking, if you type in volumes or in a voluminous manner then you might prefer the largest keyboard (slideout) you can find.

unfortunately i can't add another poll response at this point.

regards and please continue on with the responses!
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Not sure I completely understood the "less big than a treo" part, but I voted for the first one. For me, the larger screen is worth the extra .5 second it takes to flip the phone. People comment about how ungainly the process seems, but that's silly to anyone who has actually spent time using a device like the Wizard or similar. The bigger screen is very nice, and the marginally reduced resolution (from the 650) to the Cingular 8125 isn't noticeable to me. Having used a Treo for over three years (600 then 650), I had no real problems transitioning - neither the UI, the device, or the OS. The addition of WiFi is a fantastic bonus. My WiFi radio is on and connected at least 30% of the time. Now if we could only get 3G, I would switch to the newer 8525. I just found out it's probably going to be at least August, so it's looking like the iPhone will be my next purchase...
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Being that there are two types of sliding keyboards, you would have to have a poll of which is the preferred sliding method. I would take vertical (Samsung i730) as opposed to horizontal (ppc6700) because its less frustrating to flip the device from portrait to landscape. Others may not find this difficult, but we will all agree that Vertical is faster...if only by a half second.

A larger screen with lower resolution would seem counter-productive. If you plan to use a bigger screen but the resolution isnt up to par, then youre really taking a step backwards. But I would think those who would want a bigger screen would sacrifice in size, and justify a sliding keyboard. I send and received over 3000 SMS's per month, in addition to sending out emails on my 700p and it works just fine for my giant hands (millimeters smaller than Shaq's). I could imagine, though, that a heavy emailer would step up to a more robust device like the new Sony Viao handheld computer to do more laptop oriented tasks.
    Last edited by BMIC50; 02/24/2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: added adjective
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by vinman View Post
    Not sure I completely understood the "less big than a treo" part, but I voted for the first one. ...
    thanks for participating! "less big than a Treo" is just that. many of these slideouts are actually smaller in dimension than a Treo.

thanks again
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I didn't vote since I didnzt like the options. I prefer the slide out keyboard if it is implemented the right way because it allows for a full touch screen and the option of a full keyboard. While I also love the Treo I like the idea of a big touchscreen. I would love the iPhone (at least the hardware) if it had a real keyboard hidden under that screen. I would love the Treo more if the screen was a 320x240 landscape touchscreen or even better resolution. Better yet, I wish my TyTN got rid of the navigation buttons and had a larger screen, preferably VGA, taking up the front.

I just think that if they are going to go with touchscreen then the need to go with it completely. If the device is to be navigated with a D-pad then go with that and do it properly. I hate the in between crap they are intent on pushing on us.
    The question actually is...why don't you like them?
    at&t iPhone3G
    I was a loyal fan of the treo (had a 600 & 650) and was very much opposed to going to a slider. however, I really needed wi-fi and they were the only devices at the time that offered that. however, since that time, I've really come to appreciate following:

1) the wider screen is just a must and the treo smaller screen just doesn't cut it anymore. after having used the wider screen now, I just can't go back.

2) Oddly enough, before seeing this forum, I was thinking this morning how I haven't had any finger/thumb typing pain in a really long time. (I am a heavy work email user). I realized that the difference was due to the fact that the keyboard on both my mda and my tytn are so much wider, that I no longer have to arch my thumbs the way I used to on the narrower keyboard of the treo.

3) although I agree that it can be annoying to pop out the keyboard, they are all really sturdy and there's no issue to the moving part thing. I think the t-mo dash is probably the device I would love to have...if it was full wm and not just smartphone edition.

4) as much as I am a heavy work email user on my phone, I will say that there's a lot of time that I just like to read websites and rss, so it's not necessary.

if they could widen the keyboard to a simmilar size of my tytn and keep the wider screen, I would be all over it.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    The question actually is...why don't you like them?
    that's easy! because i can't stand to slide out the keyboard and stretch/turn the thing around every time i have to type something out. as i said earlier, it doesn't fit my typing needs.

that should answer your question.

thanks for the response!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5 View Post
    I didn't vote since I didnzt like the options.
    so sorry to hear...thanks for the response though, much appreciated!

next poll: how many of you carry your slideout on your belt (gents only of course!)

good fun....thanks for the replies
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i carry the 6700 on my belt when needed - but i can fit it in my pocket (khakis or dress pants) fairly well and sometimes i even put it in the pockets without the case, provided no keys or change are in there. HTC/utstarcom made a pretty sturdy device, at least to my standards.

but to answer the previous question - i was a big fan of the 600 until i realized that palm/handspring (remember them the ones who advertised the 600 could use a wifi card? ) were charging me too much for yesteryears technology (160x160 c'mon) but i switched to a sliding because of the OS, not necessarily due to screen space although that was also a big reason.

i came from the early blackberry's - 950 and the smaller one, both which had great keyboards. i didn't think the treo 600 was bad, just a little hard on the keys made sore thumbs.

when switching to the 6600 (vertical slide) i had great screen real estate but all in all, the device was a little too big for all its shortcomings.

with the upgrade to a 6700 (horizontal slide) i found it much easier to type - but i'm not sure whether its because of the keys *themselves* or the layout of the keyboard. i've also tried the Imate JasJar/HTC Universal which has the largest keyboard of any handheld, but i did not fair too well typing with that, and that was clam shell/flip keyboard.
    i've never minded switching for a second to type - as a matter of fact, it's gotten rid of my bad habits of SMSing or writing an email WHILE driving - highly dangerous as i'm sure you are all aware. on the 600 i remember i would drive with one hand and semi shift gears/type a sms with another due to the one handedness. Sad to say my stupidity almost had me in a serious car accident and i vowed never to do it again...but thats another story.
    regardless, i prefer the sliding as it gives me more screen real estate and a larger keyboard. i dont pull the keyboard out all the time as i can web browse quite easily with the new features of the 5way/hard/soft buttons and the oh-so-lovely-AKU 3.3. it's really increased my 6700 to being one-handed once again.
  17.    #17  
    ^^ Thanks Sledgie....your response makes me want to at least try a slideout.

Take care!
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie View Post
    i carry the 6700 on my belt when needed - but i can fit it in my pocket (khakis or dress pants) fairly well and sometimes i even put it in the pockets without the case, provided no keys or change are in there. HTC/utstarcom made a pretty sturdy device, at least to my standards.

but to answer the previous question - i was a big fan of the 600 until i realized that palm/handspring (remember them the ones who advertised the 600 could use a wifi card? ) were charging me too much for yesteryears technology (160x160 c'mon) but i switched to a sliding because of the OS, not necessarily due to screen space although that was also a big reason.

i came from the early blackberry's - 950 and the smaller one, both which had great keyboards. i didn't think the treo 600 was bad, just a little hard on the keys made sore thumbs.

when switching to the 6600 (vertical slide) i had great screen real estate but all in all, the device was a little too big for all its shortcomings.

with the upgrade to a 6700 (horizontal slide) i found it much easier to type - but i'm not sure whether its because of the keys *themselves* or the layout of the keyboard. i've also tried the Imate JasJar/HTC Universal which has the largest keyboard of any handheld, but i did not fair too well typing with that, and that was clam shell/flip keyboard.
    i've never minded switching for a second to type - as a matter of fact, it's gotten rid of my bad habits of SMSing or writing an email WHILE driving - highly dangerous as i'm sure you are all aware. on the 600 i remember i would drive with one hand and semi shift gears/type a sms with another due to the one handedness. Sad to say my stupidity almost had me in a serious car accident and i vowed never to do it again...but thats another story.
    regardless, i prefer the sliding as it gives me more screen real estate and a larger keyboard. i dont pull the keyboard out all the time as i can web browse quite easily with the new features of the 5way/hard/soft buttons and the oh-so-lovely-AKU 3.3. it's really increased my 6700 to being one-handed once again.
    I agree - totally. The only time I use the kb is when actually typing; which is only maybe 15% of the time. Navigation is easy enough with the device closed. I'm looking forward to the 8525/TyTn device even more because of the nav wheel on the side. That being said, I do like to view webpages and such in landscape mode, so sometimes I have it open just because of the view!

As far carrying on my belt, I have no problem doing it (functionally), but I don't do it with the 8125. I hate the standard "pouch" type cases so I typically bought the nice flip open type cases from Vaja and Bellagio. I like to use them in lieu of a wallet. I haven't bought one for the 8125 because I view it as a temporary device to get me through to the 8525 and/or the iPhone. I used to carry my Treo on my waist all the time along with my license and plastic. As soon as I get one of the two newer devices, I'll invest in a nice case for it and get that sucker out of my pocket.
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Quote Originally Posted by waynew73 View Post
    I was a loyal fan of the treo (had a 600 & 650) and was very much opposed to going to a slider. however, I really needed wi-fi and they were the only devices at the time that offered that. however, since that time, I've really come to appreciate following:

1) the wider screen is just a must and the treo smaller screen just doesn't cut it anymore. after having used the wider screen now, I just can't go back.

2) Oddly enough, before seeing this forum, I was thinking this morning how I haven't had any finger/thumb typing pain in a really long time. (I am a heavy work email user). I realized that the difference was due to the fact that the keyboard on both my mda and my tytn are so much wider, that I no longer have to arch my thumbs the way I used to on the narrower keyboard of the treo.

3) although I agree that it can be annoying to pop out the keyboard, they are all really sturdy and there's no issue to the moving part thing. I think the t-mo dash is probably the device I would love to have...if it was full wm and not just smartphone edition.

4) as much as I am a heavy work email user on my phone, I will say that there's a lot of time that I just like to read websites and rss, so it's not necessary.

if they could widen the keyboard to a simmilar size of my tytn and keep the wider screen, I would be all over it.
    Agree completely with Waynew73. I used a T600 for a couple of years, and have now had a T-Mo MDA for about a year. Durability is a non-issue. I have had no problems at all with hardware failure with the slider, typing extensive e-mails is much easier, and the bigger screen is invaluable for web surfing.

I'm not wedded to it. For the right combination of features, such as a 3G Dash, I might go back to the front-end exposed keyboard, which is undoubtedly somewhat more convenient, but the MDA had the most to offer for me at the time, and other than the 3G still does. I've also never quite gotten the hysteria about one-handed use.
    I have had the Treo 600 & 650 and loved them. But finally had to switch to the PPC-6600 (vertical slide) due mainly to increased memory and WiFi compatibility. As a result I immediately fell in awe of how much more I can do with the larger screen real estate due to the sliding KB. For this very reason I like sliding KBs.

I certainly like the vertical more than the side, but the extra viewing area for docs, spreadsheets, webpages, remote controlling my desktop at work, etc.... is well worth the extra second to slide out the KB.

The other reason I like the sliding KB is that is generally a bigger KB.

Given all of that....if Treo came out with the same form factor with a 320x240 or better screen, WiFi, 64 or 128 MB or Ram, CDMA, with a 2 mp camera....I would certainly buy it and put it through the full 30 day test with Sprint.

I guess for me the bottom line is not so much as having a sliding or always exposed KB, but the screen resolution (or more accurately the screen real estate) and additional features, i.e. WiFi, etc.. that usually come with the sliding form factors. They just seem to meet my professional needs so much more.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 02/28/2007 at 10:45 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast