Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Yeah the Smartphone OS is in many ways, very different from the PPC version. OTOH, it does what it does very well. In general I've noticed a lot less bugs, hiccups or or little quirkcs on my Moto Q (which only runs AKU 2.4) than the PPC OS and I've come to really like a lot of it, much to my surprise.
    Count me as another Moto Q user taken by surprise. I didn't have much of a choice since I needed a cell and couldn't wait until Sprint released the S720, but I'm surprised how much I like the Q. My Q is a lot less buggy then my Treo 600 and 650s were, that's for sure.

The BT (v1.2) on the Q is pretty good. I use the ROKR S9 headphones for music and it skips occasionally when I'm outdoors and moving around, but it's pretty solid indoors. I've been playing with the DC800 to stream music from my Q through my car stereo and, so far, it's worked flawlessly switching back and forth between it and the S9s. It's too bad Moto seems to be taking a step backwards with the Q from what I've about the Q9h so far.

After carrying Treos for two years, I forgot how nice it is to have a phone that you can carry in your pocket. That's why I'm very excited about this new form factor from HTC.
    A full review of the Vox S710. Includes sample photos from the built in camera.

http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=por...ews&id=952&p=1
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    *bump*

Has anyone figured this out? Is there anyway to go back to the main screen on a smartphone w/o having to close the app?
    Quote Originally Posted by aloshka View Post
    *bump*

Has anyone figured this out? Is there anyway to go back to the main screen on a smartphone w/o having to close the app?
    On Windows Mobile the apps do not close when you go to the main screen.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by aloshka View Post
    *bump*

On the Vox you can press the home button and you will return to the homescreen.

Picked my Vox up last Friday. Really love this smartphone. Lack of 3G is annoying but the ease of use make more then up for it. Have yet to install some apps so I can compare with the Treo 750 I've owned.

Sizewise I really love that it is a candybar design and not a big brick like so many other smartphones out there.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
    Picked my Vox up last Friday. Really love this smartphone. Lack of 3G is annoying but the ease of use make more then up for it. Have yet to install some apps so I can compare with the Treo 750 I've owned.

Sizewise I really love that it is a candybar design and not a big brick like so many other smartphones out there.
    As mentioned above, there is an S730 (also known as Wings) coming which is 3G and has a front camera and GPS! This is my dream device! I had an HTC TyTN but I found dialling calls really tiresome. the front keypad is the solution to that.
    WM standard makes so much better phones than WM professional. The dialing works well, its easy to look up contacts, and the size of the fonts and number of elements on screen makes a lot more sense.

Surur
    Looks like the S720 is out in Canada, which hopefully means we'll be seeing it here in the U.S. in a few months.

LINK

I'm not as excited about it as I was a few months ago after finding out how much I like the Q, but the S720 sure is a cool looking phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    Looks like the S720 is out in Canada, which hopefully means we'll be seeing it here in the U.S. in a few months.

LINK

I'm not as excited about it as I was a few months ago after finding out how much I like the Q, but the S720 sure is a cool looking phone.
    Should be here around the 18 or so of next month on VZW the same day as the 6800.

Surur How much better of a phone does it make over let say the Samsung i760, which is WM Professional phone which is similar in form to S720(ie has a keypad and a slide out keyboard)?
    That device is not out yet, so it would be impossible to say, but the WM standard OS feels much more like any normal phone vs a PDA. Everything is designed for a small screen, while still retaining the power of WM.

The grid view of the programs is a good example. You press the start menu when you want to see you apps, and is then presented with a 3x3 grid of your apps. Pressing the corresponding numeric key launches that app.

Its just better integrated.

Surur
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Everything is designed for a small screen, while still retaining the power of WM... Its just better integrated.
    I'm currently using a Nokia E61, and I thought I'd really miss a touchscreen. In fact it's just the opposite. Because the interface is designed to be used without a stylus, navigation is much more straightforward. You could even argue that the stylus makes developers lazy.

I have no worries about moving to a device with WM Standard. I think that the S710/S730 form factor is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    I'm currently using a Nokia E61, and I thought I'd really miss a touchscreen. In fact it's just the opposite. Because the interface is designed to be used without a stylus, navigation is much more straightforward. You could even argue that the stylus makes developers lazy.

I have no worries about moving to a device with WM Standard. I think that the S710/S730 form factor is the way to go.
    Same here coming from a Treo. It's an extra step to respond to prompts, but I don't really miss touchscreen because the Q is much easier to use one-handed than the Treo.

However, I really like having scrollwheel/button which the S710 and upcoming S720 don't have. A scrollwheel will be included on the S730.
    So how is fast is the rotaion of the screen? Other than fact one is CDMA and one is GSM and one has 3G, is there any other difference(spec wise) between this and the S720?

Was it a easy transition from lets say the 700w? Because I am getting sick of having the phone running low on memory and the lack of real innovation. Oh yeah wifi sounds nice.

If I go with a WM6 standard phone will my touch screen themes work?
    Last edited by bloodycape77; 06/16/2007 at 02:14 AM.
    The 3G one has a faster processor. On the GSM one screen rotation takes about 2 seconds, and it uses a different scheme for creating the today screen, so your old themes will not work.

Surur
    oh well thats $0.50 down the drain. lol
    I look but could not find the chip/speed specs of the S710, S720, and S730. Do the 3G devices use a dual core chip like the 6800? I ask because I read a review of the Vox and they said that it was sluggish and slow when it rotates and that maybe an issue. And going from a Treo is the form factor easy to get use to?
    Screen rotation is not really an issue, as you are not doing it much, only really to enter text. Due to the dial pad you can control the phone otherwise completely without sliding it open.

Surur
    oh okay. how does the phone feel when using it?
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    oh okay. how does the phone feel when using it?
    Speed-wise? Very good to me, pretty responsive, but not a speed daemon. For example, I can often see the screen being drawn, but it only takes a second. Its not frustratingly slow in any way. Web pages are rendered fast for example.

Its also (after app unlocking it) the most stable device I have ever owned, and the battery life is just great.

Surur
    well i was referring to when holding in the hand and how that compared to the Treo. But thank you for your imput I think I am going to replace my Treo with S720 when it comes out.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123