View Poll Results: What should Handspring's next move be in this PDA chess game?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Release a Color Edge ASAP!!! Add as many bells and whistles as possible!!!

14 60.87%
  • Wait and see how the m505 does, then choose a path based on feedback from the people.

3 13.04%
  • Neither, They should create a totally new ball game with a model that has a new innovative OS or hardware design.

6 26.09%
  1.    #1  
    I'm pretty interested from reading the board on how many of you view the handheld market with all the fireworks going on this quarter from the introduction of the new Palm models. I believe we're aging to the point to where we can look back at our tracks and determine the right way forward. It seems the next logical step for Handspring is a product to compete with the m505, of course your opinion could vary from "No need to compete" to "I believe their new OS is in the works.", but bear with me for this post.
  2. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    My first reaction to the Edge was that it was really cool, but I honestly can't see myself buying one. I think it'd be great for someone who has no interest in expansion, but it's pretty bad if you actually want to use springboard modules with it other than the backup module. Its only real advantage over the V series other than backup is the metal flip cover. A color Edge wouldn't fix the problems I have with it. I'd be much more interested in a color Edge with vibrating alarm and additional SD expansion slot. I don't think a large scale expansion model like Springboard is going to work on devices as small as the Edge and V series/m50x series.

I think it'd be much more interesting if they do something different, rather than just modifying the Edge to match the m505.
    I think If they made another SB sleeve type device had a SD slot and worked perfectly with the SD accessories for the new Palm M505's/M500's It would be killer. But unless they make one that has: A smaller sb connector, Refective TFT Screen, and they have some sort of New serial connector to old serial connector so I can use my stowaway I'm not gonna get one. Period.
    <FONT face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" >NetCaptor and Odigo Rule!<i></font>
    "The Internet is now on computers?"
    Homer Simpson
  4. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I think that combining the Springboard Sleeve Connector and the flip cover connector was a bad idea. It seems like there should be room on the Edge for an SD slot, and if they could have made the sleeve work with that it would have been great. Backwards compatibility for forwards thinking expansion.
    IMHO, I would rather have a color Visor with improved resolution and more memory in a regular Platinum sized body than a slim form-factor that will look fat again after you add any modules to it.

Basically, the Edge is just not meant for people who use modules constantly. There are a large number of custmers that don't use modules or use them seldomly like an occasional back-up. The Edge will be perfect for these people, and I think that's the population that Handspring is targeting.
    Fat's
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    IMHO, I would rather have a color Visor with improved resolution and more memory in a regular Platinum sized body than a slim form-factor that will look fat again after you add any modules to it.
    Bingo -- you hit all the things I'm interested in one sentence. It wouldn't be revolutionary, but it would be the evolutionary changes that I'd spend $$ on (thus promoting the survival of the species. )
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."