1. RP3
    For those of you who have been wondering about the new color Palm model, take a look at today's Wall Street Journal. Mossberg's Personal Technology column reviewed both the new Palm models and the Visor Edge. In his summary, he said "Just stay away from Palm's new color offering." That and his comments about the Palm engineers trading weak color for extended battery life pretty much tell the story. So if you want good color your real choices are still only the Prism and the IIIc.

Now if you can hold your breath long enough maybe Handspring will follow with a color Edge, but by that time you will be the one in colors.........turning blue!

RP3
    Again, I don't listen to movie critics, until i see the movie myself, i don't listen to book reviewers until i've given the book a chance, and i don't listen to reviews of electronics until i've used it myself.

Especially in the PDA market, we've proven time and time again that everybody has different tastes and needs. I won't let a guy in some newspaper decide whether i like something.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    I have been reading every report on the M505 that I or can find. The mix is about 50-50 between the display is good and the display is bad. A number of the bad reports openly say that they are looking at preproduction units so what they say may not be valid.

The most realistic comparison that I have seen is a photo of the M505 next to an IPAQ. To me this is more interesting than comparing it to a Prism or IIIX since the IPAQ and M505 use the same type of screen technology. Also, I own an IPAQ so I know what the screen looks like under different conditions (the photo looks real). In the comparison photo, the M505 looked at least as colorful as the IPAQ. Now admittedly, the IPAQ doesn't look as nice indoors as any of the organizers that use a TFT backlit panel (Prism, IIIX, CASIO PocketPCs), but it still looks damn good indoors. Outdoors there is no comparison. The reflective display blows everything else out of the water - including the monochrome displays.

Based on this, I don't expect the M505 to look as nice as the Prism when used indoors. But I do expect indoor use to be more than acceptable and much better outdoors. To me this makes it a much better all around device.

If I am wrong, I'll just send it back.

BTW the link to the IPAQ/M505 picture is http://www.cifani.it/images/CeBIT/DSCN0859.JPG.
    Here's a link to Mossberg's article. He seems pretty adamant on the point of the m505's screen quality. He even compares it to the iPAQ's screen and gives it a failing grade. Hmmm... I guess we'll all find out soon enough for ourselves. As an iPAQ owner, I have to echo the comments of the previous poster - the screen lacks the "brilliance" of a backlit TFT indoors, but it is by no means unacceptable, even on its lowest brightness setting (which is what I usually leave it at to conserve the battery). Outdoors is another matter entirely. Hopefully, the m505 will follow this example. It had better, I have three outstanding orders placed for the thing.

-Adam

http://ptech.wsj.com/ptech.html
    There have been just as many good articles about the color screen as negative. This is normal. The same thing occurred when the IIIc came out.

I had a Prism and sold it because it wouldn't work in direct sunlight worth a darn. I will keep the M505 if it even remotely lives up to the pictures that have been posted so far. Without a doubt the iPaq has the best screen out there of any PDA or even laptops when it comes to viewing in sunlight but at the cost of the battery life.

All of the units shown so far have been pre-production and there has to been some limiting factors with those units and there could be individual screen issues with the 26 or so pre-production units.

Let's wait till the production units ship before condemning the darn things.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Why does the m505 have a TFT or LCD screen anyway?
    I was not able to visit CeBIT
    but on TV i saw something about the CeBIT, where OLEDs were mentioned. And i can tell you, there was a 15" OLED screen from Kodak that worked absolutely perfect!
    Very bright, brilliant colors and very high framerate. And cheaper than any other LCD technology. That was the best screen i've ever seen!

So, why don't they develop a Palm with OLED screen?
    Originally posted by weberflo
    but on TV i saw something about the CeBIT, where OLEDs were mentioned. And i can tell you, there was a 15" OLED screen from Kodak that worked absolutely perfect!
    Very bright, brilliant colors and very high framerate. And cheaper than any other LCD technology. That was the best screen i've ever seen!

Not knowing much about it, I would have to guess that it's untested tech, and therefore unsuitable to go into a consumer PDA.

Does that mean it NEVER will? Depends on whether or not the technology catches on, and if it proves to be battery-friendly. (Think about how fast a Prism's screen eats battery life compared to, say, the Palm V or the Edge.) But neither Palm, nor Handspring, nor any of the other PDA manufacturers would put such an untested piece of tech into something like a PDA.

(Now before everyone jumps on me with "SD is new tech!", I have to ask - Is it really? Or isn't it just a varient on the MMC format?)
    Originally posted by weberflo

If you are interested in OLED's... check out www.UniversalDisplay.com It has alot of information on it about OLED's. Don't know how many of you saw Red Planet... they had the PDA I want... it was a screen that rolled up, and unrolled. It also had a huge amount of cool software....

Think about the coolness of that... like carrying a thick pen in your pocket... unroll it, and tada, insta-PDA. You can even unroll it to different sizes... small for a quick check of the task list, or as large as you need for anything else. The technology exists now for that to happen, OLED's are one such way. I am curious about the technology for rollable touch screens... does that exist?

I think it will be only about 3 years or so before OLED's are in phones, PDA's... maybe even monitors if the resolution, and color depth are good enough.

-Russ
    -Anybody we have not unplugged could potentially be an agent-
    For more on Kodak's involvement in OLED research see: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...oelIndex.jhtml

-Eric
    I'd give ut a little more time, though I was never expecting this screen to be that good. All it is is an ipaq screen with fewer yet bigger pixels, and that isn't going to be pretty. As some one said somewhere, The success of the m500 depends entirely on the failure of the m505.

sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories