Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just ordered my Q from Sprint. I have been a long time customer and they matched the current $99 deal VZW is running. And I still have free Power Vision. I was really getting tired of the actual phone quality of my 650 and I am an Outlook junkie anyway, so I'll see if I can live w/o a touch screen!

Can't wait for the new "toy" to arrive!
    You'll be able to live w/out a touch screen. I love my Dash. Congrats and enjoy your Q.
    Jimmie Geddes
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Jimmie - I think it will take a little time, but I am sure I can get used to it. I have only had a Treo for 10 months and I had a BB a few years ago. I adapt fairly easily.

I like that Dash also - saw one the other day. But I am a "lifer" with a family plan and freebies over at Sprint, so I am stuck a for a while!
    Hey bubs! I'm still evaluating how I feel about the Moto Q, but here are some impressions:

-So slim and light... *yum* that's been real cool.
    *Screen is amazing, it's so bright and colorful, it's like a cartoon. You know Windows Mobile is very colorful by itself, but when it's this bright and the pixels so compact, they make for quite the sharp image.
    *You won't miss the touchscreen. Oddly enough, that's Palm's "fault" for training us on getting used to one-handed navigation.

Minus:
    *You cannot schedule a backup overnight if your plan on charging your phone overnight. You'll find out why.. this really sucks IMO.
    *Battery life is TERRIBLE! No joke, this hits people in different ways but it has really changed me into thinking about something I rarely ever considered.

Now if only I can get the Palm threaded SMS running on it...

One of the biggest problems, and this is larger than the Q, is the community for the Q. EverythingQ and Qusers are little compared to the lively forums here at TC.

Edit: More Minuses
    No Volume control on the hardware and of course no ringer switch.
    i dont have a q, but just an opinion on touch screen.

yes, palm does a great job of limiting your use of the touch screen. but, when you need it it is nice.

for examble, i also have a bb 7103 that the job gave me. when web surfing a large web page it is a pain in the *** to have to scroll down using the wheel or the kb. I miss the scroll bar/stylus scroll of the treo.

yes, a small nit, but when you need it and cant do it, you feel like throwing the phone out the window. at least i do.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Just ordered my Q from Sprint. I have been a long time customer and they matched the current $99 deal VZW is running. And I still have free Power Vision. I was really getting tired of the actual phone quality of my 650 and I am an Outlook junkie anyway, so I'll see if I can live w/o a touch screen!

I realize the Q is thinner than the Treo, but from every picture I've seen, it looks wider. Can anyone enlighten?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    for examble, i also have a bb 7103 that the job gave me. when web surfing a large web page it is a pain in the *** to have to scroll down using the wheel or the kb. I miss the scroll bar/stylus scroll of the treo.
    It's all in getting yourself trained for it & having good software at the same time. Do you have a page down key? This is crucial. Having come from Opera Mini & Blazer on the 650, I'm used to non-touch navigation and I even prefer it.

As I said, Palm has been good at training us to handle this. I'm not saying that I wouldn't want a touchscreen, just saying that not having it is not the end of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex View Post
    I realize the Q is thinner than the Treo, but from every picture I've seen, it looks wider. Can anyone enlighten?
    It is wider by a few millimeters. In my experience, you don't notice it unless you're trying to compare them.

http://gadgetsonthego.net/gadgetsont...1_archive.html
  9.    #9  
    g-man - I can't go a day w/o charging my 650, so my expectations are low! Someone at one of those sites suggested Agile Messenger for threaded messages. I am going to check that out.

Volume control and ringer switch will be missed! But size, BT and phone quality will make up for it....

Oh, and I agree about the other sites - hard to replace this site!

Edit - g - was reading the manual, the wheel controls the volume which is hardware IMO. Do you just like the rocker switch better?
    Last edited by bubbatex; 01/17/2007 at 10:39 PM.
    Edit - g - was reading the manual, the wheel controls the volume which is hardware IMO. Do you just like the rocker switch better?
    Kind of, while you're in the phone application it will control the volume, and it also applies while other applications _are active_ such as TCPMP and WMP.

However, if you're on the home screen or in Internet Explorer, the wheel is used to scroll through items (wheel == Up & Down arrows really. What a waste). So you have to switch back to those apps to make changes to the volume which isn't great if you've put it in your pocket (and you had switched away from the music player). You'll see what I mean.

-
    Regardless, do tell how you feel about it when you're ready.
  11.    #11  
    Got it - however, I don't listen to music on my phones so it might not be that big of deal for me.

Regarding the battery. One of the reasons I felt the Sprint Q was worth it was the MOL2 update on VZW showed most users an increase in battery life. I have a 650 with a standard battery. I charge overnight, every night. If I have a talkative day - and say do 2-3 hours of calls, I'll be down in the 30% range in the afternoon. I check email about 3-4 times a day and rarely use the web. And believe me, I have it optimized. Are you getting through the day with the Q?

OK, that's it for the questions. I get it today and I have the 30 days to try it out. I'll report back over the weekend after spending a few days with it. Thanks!
    I never mad it a through a day with the Q, but I had it when it first came out and know the software update supposedly helped battery life.

This is a typical day with my Dash. I have my Dash checking 3 email accounts every 15 minutes. Newsbreak updates my rss feed which has 35 sites every hour. I use my phone throughout the day, text message, im, use it as a pda, bt is always on, I turn wifi on at lunch to surf and update my feeds, and email faster than EDGE. I usually get home around 5 and battery life is usually at about 50%, IMO this is amazing battery life for such a thin phone.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Are you getting through the day with the Q?
    I got the phone with the MOL2 patch, so I'm not aware of the battery improvements. Qusers say it's something like a 10-15% improvement.

I've been so concerned about it that I keep a charger at work, so I haven't, over a long span of time, tested it out for daily usage. But I will try because doing so will help 'calibrate' me on days where I can't charge the thing.

And who knows.. perhaps Moto quietly inserted energy efficient equipment into the newer generation Qs. I just know that 3 hours of calls sounds devastating to this phone right here.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks g!

Jimmie - wow, that is really amazing. Too bad Moto has not looked at that!
    When I went back to Blackberries I found I didn't miss the Palm's touchscreen at all. A good scroll wheel or trackball (ala the Pearl) is better, IMHO. What I simply couldn't live without was the week-at-a-glance calendar view I get with DateBk5.
  16.    #16  
    received the Q last night - I missed the touchscreen for, like, about 2 minutes. I even surprised myself at how easily and fast I accepted the 5-way and scroll wheel. Email set-up is a little awkward and I need to figure out why ActiveSync is nuking my PC's wireless connection, but I love the size, call quality and EVDO!

I just ordered the Q for the $99. I hope it will be an easy transaction to the Q from the 650 which I have had for over two years. I do have the old vision plan for 10.00 with picture mail and 100 text messages.

I told CS that I wanted to keep my old plan and she said fine. We do not have power vision in our area and will not until around September or so.

Will Sprint call me the day we get power vision and insist that I update my plan to include it or will it just stay with the old vision speed?

Thanks
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by maryann View Post
    I just ordered the Q for the $99. I hope it will be an easy transaction to the Q from the 650 which I have had for over two years. I do have the old vision plan for 10.00 with picture mail and 100 text messages.

I told CS that I wanted to keep my old plan and she said fine. We do not have power vision in our area and will not until around September or so.

Will Sprint call me the day we get power vision and insist that I update my plan to include it or will it just stay with the old vision speed?

Thanks
    Doubtful - but it will come up the next time your contract is due for renewal. EVDO and 1x really run on the same "network" or towers, so they really do not have a way to keep you off EVDO if you have a EVDO capable device. But if you have been a long time customer, you should ask for it for free anyway. When I bought my Q, they noticed that I had Vision for free, so they just changed my account to give me free PV.

Have fun - I am!
    Thanks......been a customer for nine years. I did extend my contract for two years for the 99.00 price. I would like to get more minutes but don't want to lose my 100 tm and picture mail. I have the 300 minutes and would like to get 400 or more minutes. Hmmmm since I can't use the picture mail with this Q do you think they would do a trade off for more minutes and lose the picture mail?.....or do I need to keep it?
  20.    #20  
    Since you can't use picturemail, yes, I would ask for more minutes. They might want to take you to a higher plan, but then offset that with free text messages. I would certainly call and ask. I have also had luck emailing eCare with these type of requests.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast