Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    THe first time I tried to switch to the Q I had trouble typing on it. I guess I am a fast typer and the Q couldnt keep up with me. Have others had similar issues with the Q? This was the major dealbreaker for me and why I had to revert back to my 700p
    I have had that problem as well. One thing that does help is turning off the auto-complete feature even though its very helpful. Having this turned on forces the Q/Blackjack/etc. to read-think-and suggest a word as you type. If you are a fast typer, its probably not predicting the words fast enough.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    I hadn't even thought of turning it off, I'm on my way!

It's the absolute worst, you type everything quick and you look at what you just typed, letters are missing all over the place.
    I got the Q the first day it was out on Verizon. Kept it for 10 days then returned it. Had a number of issues. The most annoying was the fact that the Q would shut off randomly during the day, and not get phone calls. There was no way I could tell that it was off.

I did miss the touch screen on the 700P.

That said, the bluetooth was rock solid - best of any phone that I have had.

Quote Originally Posted by dstudboy1 View Post
    THe first time I tried to switch to the Q I had trouble typing on it. I guess I am a fast typer and the Q couldnt keep up with me. Have others had similar issues with the Q? This was the major dealbreaker for me and why I had to revert back to my 700p
  5.    #25  
    yep, I turned iTap off after about an hour. It seems to keep up with me as well as my 650 did - which means I still have to go back and review. I think I like the keys a little better on the Treo, but I like the spacing better on the Q. The Treo keys were too close for me.
    Stupid question...

The Sprint Q DOES has a backlight keyboard, right? I found it comical how early reviews said it did not. Umm, I sure hope those reviews are wrong...
    Another stupid question. As a Chatter user who is now used to "push" IMAP email that syncs with the desktop, does the Q support push IMAP? By that I mean can I get my mail "instantly" (not every 15 min) without running a desktop redirector?
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209 View Post
    Another stupid question. As a Chatter user who is now used to "push" IMAP email that syncs with the desktop, does the Q support push IMAP? By that I mean can I get my mail "instantly" (not every 15 min) without running a desktop redirector?
    You could try asking here, http://www.everythingq.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by maryann View Post
    I just ordered the Q for the $99. I hope it will be an easy transaction to the Q from the 650 which I have had for over two years. I do have the old vision plan for 10.00 with picture mail and 100 text messages.

I told CS that I wanted to keep my old plan and she said fine. We do not have power vision in our area and will not until around September or so.

Will Sprint call me the day we get power vision and insist that I update my plan to include it or will it just stay with the old vision speed?

Thanks
    Is the $99 after rebate and stuff? I'd like to change my phone and would definitely like to avoid full price on it. I've been a Sprint customer for about seven years now and no longer in contract. Any help would be great. Thanks.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by JigGaNauGhtY View Post
    Is the $99 after rebate and stuff? I'd like to change my phone and would definitely like to avoid full price on it. I've been a Sprint customer for about seven years now and no longer in contract. Any help would be great. Thanks.
    If you are out of contract, you should easily be able to get it for $99. It is actually billed at $199 and then you have to send in the rebate form for the $100. I called Rententions at 866-881-9571. Since you are out of contract, just tell them you would like the $99 price match of the current Verizon deal (better check VZW's site to be sure, it was a limited offer). You will have to sign up for 2 more years. Good luck!

BTW - I love the Q so far.
    I did get it for $99 but also no rebates, no taxes and no shipping costs. I did repeat this a few times to her and she agreed with it all. I was out of contract too. Guess my bill will confirm it all if it is correct.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I got the Q last wednesday. By friday I had called Sprint to return it. The phone itself was great, but I guess I was too used to the features of PPC and the touch screen. If you don't use the features of WM 5 on a daily basis, this might be the phone for you. The phone itself is so loud and clear that I find myself turning down the volume. It works great with all of my bluetooth headsets... but... The PDA features are very basic and the battery life is miserable.
    I've had Treos for three years - first the 650, then the 700p. I have always been a Handspring/Palm loyalist. When my company supplied 700p to a dunking at Disney, I needed to replace it OUT OF MY OWN POCKET. Verizon was willing to give me a new Q for $99, but offered me no discount on a replacement 700p - my cost on that was going to be about $425. So I decided I would give the Q a go, and invest the $300+ dollars on Christmas presents.

The two best things about the Q are its size (fits neatly into the pocket of a dress shirt) and the call quality - both the reception and audio quality are better than a Treo (I would rate my two Treos as "Acceptable", the Q as "Excellent").

As others have suggested, you don't miss the touchscreen after a short time. I find that the 700p was/is more finely honed for minimizing inputs on any given task, but the Q isn't off by much - there were things that annoyed me about the Treo, there are things that annoy me about the Q.

The battery life - standard battery compared to standard battery - is close. The Q is a little worse, but not much. I find that the people who are most critical of battery life on ANY smartphone tend to be newbies who are use to a Razr that will hold a charge for days. If you are accustomed to a Treo or a PDA, I don't think the Q battery life will shock the conscious.

I prefer the keyboard on the Treo to the Q, though not by a whole lot. I really like the compact size of the Q - its really handy to be able to keep it inobtrusively in a shirt pocket. One thing thats great with the Q now - and it would be the same with the Blackjack and Dash too - is that I can keep it in my shirt pocket while in a meeting, leave it on silent...and check my messages, email, etc mid-meeting discretely. Pulling out a Treo says "I am bored here and this conversation means less to me than what we are having for dinner". Pulling out the Q and placing it on a table in front of me says merely "I am checking some figures on my calculator".

One other thing I love about the Q is the powerful "Silent" profile option. Getting the Treo to DO NOTHING - Not light up, not vibrate, not make a sound - when I got a late night text message was a pain. Its easy on the Q.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I got a new Q last week from the 700w. The first phone was flaky, it seemed to have a bad radio. I exchanged it and the new one is sensational. Excellent phone and bluetooth quality. Great form factor. Battery life - well it gets through the day - not as longlasting as the treo, but enough. Push email from exchange is working beautifully. Internet access seems much better than the treo. PIM functions are fine - all my data shows up - all I use is contacts, tasks and calendar. I'm a happy camper.

I saw that the new Q is coming out and I contemplated going back to the treo until it gets here, but I can't bear the thought of carrying the brick around and the weak bluetooth.
    Does TomTom5 work on the Q?
    Thanks,

Mark

Palm III > Palm Vx > Sony Clie PEG760N > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jstpa View Post
    ...Excellent phone and bluetooth quality. Great form factor. Battery life - well it gets through the day - not as longlasting as the treo, but enough. Push email from exchange is working beautifully. Internet access seems much better than the treo. PIM functions are fine - all my data shows up - all I use is contacts, tasks and calendar. I'm a happy camper.

I saw that the new Q is coming out and I contemplated going back to the treo until it gets here, but I can't bear the thought of carrying the brick around and the weak bluetooth.
    ditto! I am finding that (after 4 days) the battery is just a little worse than my 650 was (gonna buy the Seidio slim battery with 10-15% better life and that should do it for me). Today, I missed the cut and paste functions when trying to forward an email (with a signature attachment, but I just hit reply instead and changed the email address), but overall I am liking it.

Keefer - I agree on the meeting description above, I did that today! Silent is great, even if it takes a few clicks instead of just moving a switch.
    use vito copypaste to get the copy/paste function on your smartphone.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I would probably make the switch, but I need it on Sprint and need Telenav. Any idea if this (the Telenav part) will ever happen?
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I just switched from the 700wx to the Sprint Q. After a few days of getting used to it, I love it. First of all, the size is amazing. I used to think the 700wx with the short antenna was a good sized phone. I now consider it a very expensive brick. The skinnyness of the Q is unbeatable.

I had a love/hate relationship with the typing at first. I am much faster on the Q than on the Treo, but like others, i found that the Q was missing letters that I knew I typed. I was able to change this by changing one quick setting. Now the Q registers everything I type. One thing that was difficult to get used to was the placement of the CAPS button and some of the character buttons. I got a program called QCaps and haven't looked back. I type faster than ever now.

The bluetooth is rock solid, just overall great. The reception on the phone/EVDO is fantastic. I find myself getting service in places that the 700wx never got.

The one thing I still haven't gotten used to is the lack of a start menu. Going from a 650 to a 700wx, at first it was tough because there were always a few more clicks required to get to a new app. Going from the 700wx to the Q, this is also the same. There is no dropdown Start Menu where I can go from messaging to IE. I have to go to the home screen and go from there. Not a huge issue, but an issue nonetheless.

The screen is absolutely beautiful. The homescreen, once customized is beautiful, and the larger screen works wonders for web browsing. I heard it also plays Slingbox video in true fullscreen, but I have yet to see it yet since I don't (yet) have a slingbox.

Overall, I am very happy with this phone. I have had Treo's for a few years and considered myself a Treo loyalist. After having this phone, I do believe I've found the answer.

Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by jhkaplan View Post
    The one thing I still haven't gotten used to is the lack of a start menu. Going from a 650 to a 700wx, at first it was tough because there were always a few more clicks required to get to a new app. Going from the 700wx to the Q, this is also the same. There is no dropdown Start Menu where I can go from messaging to IE. I have to go to the home screen and go from there. Not a huge issue, but an issue nonetheless.
    I got a solution for that, use Right Menu:

And then use AE Buttons Plus to map right menu to a hardware key, then you can all it from anywhere. Here's how I did that.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast