Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    IF they could do net appliances for retelively cheep, have them be compatible with any kind of connection then I'd get one, but as it is, they serve no usefull purpose.

Sam
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    originally posted by agraham999
    I developed a technology that was acquired by a very large company...something I slaved over for a year to get
    completed...and they bought it...and then buried it
    Did they pay you well for your technology?

He's the rich one!!
    On today's Macintouch.com it mentions:

[Kerbango item pulled]

Did anyone read the Kerbango note before it was pulled? Just curious as to what it was...usually they pull items when there is a rumour being reported that the company does not agree with...I wonder if Kerbango is still alive somewhere.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    On today's Macintouch.com it mentions:

[Kerbango item pulled]

Did anyone read the Kerbango note before it was pulled? Just curious as to what it was...usually they pull items when there is a rumour being reported that the company does not agree with...I wonder if Kerbango is still alive somewhere.
    I'm still wondering which net appliance this is.
    I know of a new sony web appliance that uses the BeOS and has a big screen that might do well....
    Sam Kleinman

PocketPCThoughts.com
    CollectiveArts
    Free-ePress
    Musings of a Teal Artist
    CollectiveArts TechMusings

"Everybody don't like something and we all don't like you." -- Richard Thompson, Hard Luck Stories
    I'm still wondering which net appliance this is.
    The Kerbango was a web-enabled radio. 3COM killed that with the Audrey...which was why I was interested in what Macintouch had to say about it, as this happened a few weeks ago (did someone buy it from 3COM?)

As for the BEOS Internet Device, it may have an uphill battle. BE isn't doing so hot...they just layed off 27 people...and they have yet to be a significant OS in the market.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by EricG
    Another thing that kills all these internet access devices is the lack of choice in service provider.. If I already have cable/dsl service or a free work related (and paid for by work) highspeed net connection, I CERTAINLY don't want to pay another $19.95/month (or more) for the privilege to go on the net. I'd like to buy a device that I can decide how to connect to the net with, sure pre-pack and define a default internet service package for novices but give me the choice to override that if I choose..
    I believe Audrey did allow you to use whatever ISP you wanted to. That's also why it was so expensive though. It also was supposed to allow you to connect a USB to Ethernet adaptor to it so you could plug into your home Ethernet network. Given enough time for drivers, you probably could have used one of these wireless LAN USB network adaptors with Audrey as well.

That's what I liked about Audrey, it wasn't one of those Internet Appliances that required some extra monthly fee. The only faults I saw in it were high price, small screen, and no clear way to syncronize its' data with your "desktop PC".

I believe Audrey runs QNX, so there ought to be some easy way to hack around and add your own programs to it as well. QNX RTP development software is available for free.

Anyhow, it just looks like 3Com decided it didn't want to be in the Internet Applicance business anymore and closed up shop on everything. I don't think these companies are realizing that Internet Appliances are going to mostly be niche markets. They shouldn't be expecting to sell millions of any of these devices. Kerbango was a perfect example. I thought their idea was neat, but I didn't like the specific device design. I'd like an internet radio I can add into my component stereo setup, while their device design was some ultra-modern/50's-throwback tabletop radio (and sure, other people are going to want exactly that).

Craig
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12