1.    #1  
    It looking to buy my first hand held I find I really like the Palm and visor models. Price for me is a factor.

However, I'm disappointed that each of the 4 different manufacturers of Palm OS devices has it's own expansion slot technology. Addons can not be shared, plus developers may have to choose between manufacturers.

It's one thing to make a decision today to buy a $200 device and $100 plus software utilities/programs but what about GPS/Modem modules etc. It's an investment that you can lose if you decide to switch palm os platforms.
    IT's an intresting question.. But there's a problem HAndspring has now 40 modules SHIPPING and their almost all hardware. ALl Sony can do is give oyu memory, and the new expansion from Palm, isn't oging to support hardware for what looks 2 years. Right now, MMC can just support software, and the software will act like Comnpact Flash memory, IT won't be like HS flash card. I think that HS might win, becaseu it had such an early lead, and is doing a great job. Palm might come close becasue it is so big, but it's hard to fit a GPS in a postage stamp. Look at the GEODE!

Sony is out of it. The Clie only makes up 2% of US sales, compared with 28% for hand, and 59% for Palm. HNDSPRING IS THE WINNER!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu2000
    IT's an intresting question.. But there's a problem HAndspring has now 40 modules SHIPPING and their almost all hardware. ALl Sony can do is give oyu memory, and the new expansion from Palm, isn't oging to support hardware for what looks 2 years. Right now, MMC can just support software, and the software will act like Comnpact Flash memory, IT won't be like HS flash card. I think that HS might win, becaseu it had such an early lead, and is doing a great job. Palm might come close becasue it is so big, but it's hard to fit a GPS in a postage stamp. Look at the GEODE!

Sony is out of it. The Clie only makes up 2% of US sales, compared with 28% for hand, and 59% for Palm. HNDSPRING IS THE WINNER!
    You have a point...but you also lost me at the same time. Yeah, memory sticks stink, because although they are used in many devices...they are all Sony devices. (thanks Sony for making that easy). Next, yes, HS has the lead...for now. Yes, they have more modules...for now. But what happens in 6 months to 2 years when PPC's jump on the market with SD technology? Don't forget, Casio has had MMC/SD support for 4-6 months already. Panasonic is shipping digital cameras with SD cards as well...and they even have a portable MP3 player using SD. Now I know what you are thinking..."yeah, but these are all memory applications." But you also have to think of it this way...how did CF get its start? It got started by being Memory, as did PCMCIA. And from there, they grew.

Sure, the Geode is big, and it may easily be too difficult to insert into a SD/MMC slot. But who is to say that can't and won't do it? Heck, I was impressed the other day. I saw a digital camera in a watch! If they can't get the Geode to fit...then someone else like Magellan might get theirs to fit instead.

Don't ever count anything out. If you can dream it up, chances are it was already built.

Again, my 2 cents.

sam
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
    But he's talking about switching paltforms. If I have a visor and a bunch of modules I'm stuck with visor, unless I ebay the whole works which can get to be a pain in the *** real quick. Upgrading to a visor is easy because the springboard is larger, which allows for internal adaptors, whereas other devices expasion slots don's/won't.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    btw-nice avatar dude!
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    </strong>
    and the new expansion from Palm, isn't oging to support hardware for what looks 2 years.

what!? where?! huh?! where do you come up with stuff like this?

i've seen stuff posted all over these threads that are purely speculative, but come on.

sorry miradu, i've been meaning to bring this up in the past and the camel's back just broke.

it is AMAZING how many things get said on the board that are just 'i thinks' instead of actual facts.

show me where it says that Palm will not support hardware for the next 2 years in their SD expansion??

In 2 years, Palm has mentioned the availability of a whole new OS. I really don't see them waiting until the new OS is out before they offer hardware add ons to the SD slot.

Let's talk facts people.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    I'm at a loss - how can Handspring be the winner when Palm out sold it by double?

The original thread was "Will different expansion slots kill the Palm?"

I doubt it considering that Palm didn't have any expansion slots (other than the serial connections) until the M500/505 series. The SD/MMC platform will/has more potential users out there because of the cross platform capability of this connection than a Springboard. The Springboard is good but is proprietary to Handspring. No one else is using it.

Palm on the other hand has maintained more market share than Handspring has without it and just by using the serial connection for expansion. Now they have chosen a more "cross platform" strategy with the SD and it will, IMHO, take off because:

1. Their are people like me that value form factor over function. I dropped my Prism/Omnisky setup because you couldn't find a case to fit both. My Vx and Omnisky there were several options.

2. The Edge is a step in the right direction with the "optional" new connector at the top. This, like the Palm, will allow for a less obtrusive style of expansion since you can build an open top case that should still be able to secure the PDA and allow for the expansion device.

3. Palm by pre-releasing the M500/505 series will be able to inform hardware developers of how many units sales their are in the system and thus how much potential market their will be for the hardware modules. This is the same tactic that Handspring used in Sept. of 99. And remember, how many hardware Springboards were available at the time of the actual Visor shipments? Not a lot most were software or memory.

If these new M series takes a lot of early orders, rest assured there will be a quick uptake by potential hardware manufacturers to step up and produce. And considering the NASDAQ is not doing well, these companies will jump at the chance to show their stock holders that they are reacting to the market, quickly.

I think that if Palm is outselling Handspring 2 to 1 without a hardware expansion slot, these new units will probably dominate. Will we ever see a universal connector for the hardware expansion amongst the various Palm platforms - probably not.

Consider the following: The WinCE machines have different platforms between all of the manufacturers and the hardware is so different and yet they do poorly relative to overall market share. Why is that? Because, individuals want different things compared to the next person and as long as the stuff sells there will be someone out there that will manufacuter it, regardless of similarity or cross platform compatibility.

Handspring and Palm are both good companies and will "find" their place in the market and continue to grow, with or without this forum discussion.
    Last edited by RSGMOOSE; 03/21/2001 at 02:28 PM.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    I'll defend poor miradu since he is probably in school dreaming about the car he will drive in 3 years. He is a kid...to us his math may seem a little off...buy hey...it must be that "new math" right?

my 2 cents...keep the change!
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    </strong>
    here's an interesting view that agrees with my feelings about this whole mess...

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_S...MODE=FLAT#8015

Basically, arguing over who 'wins' is pointless.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?