1.    #1  
    Well, it looks like there is some good news and some bad news about the Palm's color screen...AND, it looks as though we may have a reason behind the color Sony Clie not making its presence felt in the U.S. You all be the judge...but it looks like the best bargain in PDA history might be the m-500...not the 505.

This article is a MUST read for anyone considering these two devices!

http://www.msnbc.com/news/546477.asp
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
    Color at 160x160 is useless to me. Not clear enough. I don't like it and it's not worth the money.
    I'll go to color when a Visor matches up to the Compaq Pocket PC.
    The article's mention of the Sony Clie was their earlier color version of the handheld, the PEG-N500C. The Clie 2 recently introduced is the PEG-N700C. There were many complaints in Japan against the PEG-N500C's screen being way too dark. That's one of the features that cause the failure of the color Clie.

If Palm relies on the same screen technology for the palm m505, I think that'll be a serious drawback. People in Japan hated the Clie color screen.

The article said that this screen was unlike the Prism or a PPC more like a color Gameboy. I don't know if that's good or bad, since I've never seen a color gameboy screen before, but it does not sound favoring.

"Now, I feel it’s my responsibility to discuss the quality of the color screen. If you’re thinking color screen like the one on a PocketPC, Handspring Prism or even the dearly departed Palm IIIc — forget it! It’s more like the color screens on a Color Game Boy or, if you were lucky enough to have owned one, a Siemens S-12 GSM cellular phone.

The new Clie have changed their screen in the PEG-N700C. In some of the release date photos, I remember seeing a PEG-N500C side by side with the PEG-N700C and the screen looked much much brighter.
    Fat's
    The new Clie have changed their screen in the PEG-N700C. In some of the release date photos, I remember seeing a PEG-N500C side by side with the PEG-N700C and the screen looked much much brighter.
    Here are two pictures that I found compare the color screen of the PEG-500C to the new PEG-N700C (Clie 2) screen. Notice how much brighter Clie 2 is compare to the older Clie.

If the article's comparison of the m505 screen to the older Clie screen is any where true then the m505 screen has a serious problem!!
    "It actually reminded me of the color screen I saw briefly on a Sony Clie. You’ve never been able to purchase a color Clie in this country because of the quality of that screen. I witnessed a Sony sales representative presenting that color Clie to a large NYC retailer. The manager looked at the screen — and subsequently said “pass” when he was asked if he’d like to order any. Sony continues to market color Clies in other markets.

The Palm m505’s screen is dark without the backlighting turned on. I wouldn’t go so far as to call its quality “vibrant” as described in Monday’s press release. The screen is reflective, like grayscale models. but when you turn on the backlighting it still looks somewhat dim. I admit that I played with a hand-built pre-production model, but I don’t think the screen will somehow become a lot brighter when the devices go on sale.

If you look carefully at what is says about the m505 on the Palm website, you’ll see that Palm is emphasizing expandability first, and the color screen second. That should tell you something."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 03/23/2001 at 12:24 AM.
    Fat's
    Another screen comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fat's
    Clie 2's screen is really much brighter.
    And after i've seen some fotos on a Clie 2 i really can't believe that it has only 256 colors (like some people say). It looks definitely like 16bit.