Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Treonauts! I've been an on-and-off-again active member here for most of 2006. Thank you for all the help and info to make my experience with my 700w tolerable.

I've moved on, and I've documented my experience here at my blog. I was hesitant at first to make this change, but after I did I couldn't believe the difference. I thought I'd post up the details for anyone else who is thinking of making the change.

http://www.fullyconverged.com/

Merry Christmas!
    Palm Treo 700w, Motorola Q
    Fully Converged, Cell Phone Videos
    The Q is definitely nice. but I couldn't do without the touch screen on my Treo.

Also in your blog you state that the 700w backlit keyboard stays on too long and that this cannot be altered. Actually it can be.
    sourmash, that was a very informative article. It's unfortunate that Verizon customers still don't have the option for the wx model. It seems like your biggest gripe was memory, which obviously was increased with the wx (in fact, I think my wx has a few more MB of available system memory than your Q).

Glad you found a phone that works better for you! Personally, I'm still stoked on the wx despite its downfalls. I doubt anyone will ever come out with the perfect smartphone.
  4.    #4  
    Yes, it's too bad the wx isn't available to us. I heard rumors a few months ago that it would be available in December... looks like the Black Q took the priority for VZW.
    I had many of the same experiences. I had the 700w for about 6 months. I then went and bought a Q....and loved it. After about 5 months though I started getting some real quirky issues with the Q. Things like reboots, lockups..etc. Verizon sent me a refurb, which was actually worse. So I went back to the 700w. Man, I did not realize how much I missed the touch screen....and really the Pocket PC OS vs the Smartphone OS. There are so many little things in the PPC OS that are so much nicer and more productive.

So I love both phones for different reasons. I have decided to keep both of them and switch back and forth. It is actually pretty funny to hear the Vzw phone guys reaction when he is reviewing my records and he sees 10 different phones in last 3 weeks. (actually only the 2)
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sourmash View Post
    Hey Treonauts! I've been an on-and-off-again active member here for most of 2006. Thank you for all the help and info to make my experience with my 700w tolerable.

I've moved on, and I've documented my experience here at my blog. I was hesitant at first to make this change, but after I did I couldn't believe the difference. I thought I'd post up the details for anyone else who is thinking of making the change.

http://www.fullyconverged.com/

Merry Christmas!
    Best of luck with your "Q"!

From reading your blog, it would appear that you use your "phone" for games and phone primarily rather than business, (Exchange synching of contacts, calendar, etc), use which I think the Treo is geared towards.

Also, what you state in your blog is inaccurate: "The other advantage the Q has over the Treo is there is a dedicated speaker button to the right of the SPACE bar, making it easy to run on or off the speaker. To do this on the Treo you have to navigate the menus. "

I believe: You can turn the Treo's speaker off by sliding the hard button to silent mode.

Lastly FWIW, my co-worker is on his 3rd "Q". The 1st 2 were returned for various problems including lock-ups.
    Last edited by robdam; 12/21/2006 at 07:17 AM.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I looked at a Q. It has all the drawbacks of a poorly designed smartphone and none of the benefits.
    - it's huge, a phone that big should be running pocket pc os.
    - memory... Win Mo smartphones use a lot of ram if you are getting emails, accessing the web and synching lots of contacts. The Q needs a lot more ram. My Samsung SGH-i320n has 128megs, and it works great. 512mb would be ideal
    - no touch screen. This isn't a big deal on the Samsung and T-mobile sda, but with a bigger screen, touchscreen means you can navigate around faster.

Curiously enough, T-mobile came out with a new HTC Winmo smartphone. I checked it out because it's neat looking. It has wifi but not much memory. Try synching 3000 contacts into a device with 20megs of user ram and then install some programs and download emails... opps... you will crash. Anyway, this is why I like Palm OS!
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    sourmash I think you made a mistake to get the Q because Verizon will likely have the wx next month. If I were you, I'll send that Q back, wait til Verizon gets the wx, then do the trade off.

Fortunately, I don't have as many issues with my 700w as most do with theirs since I'm not a power user. I'm a rare, happy 700w user.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by geralde View Post
    I had many of the same experiences. I had the 700w for about 6 months. I then went and bought a Q....and loved it. After about 5 months though I started getting some real quirky issues with the Q. Things like reboots, lockups..etc. Verizon sent me a refurb, which was actually worse. So I went back to the 700w. Man, I did not realize how much I missed the touch screen....and really the Pocket PC OS vs the Smartphone OS. There are so many little things in the PPC OS that are so much nicer and more productive.

So I love both phones for different reasons. I have decided to keep both of them and switch back and forth. It is actually pretty funny to hear the Vzw phone guys reaction when he is reviewing my records and he sees 10 different phones in last 3 weeks. (actually only the 2)
    Don't they charge you a $20 fee every time you change your phone?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by robdam View Post
    Best of luck with your "Q"!

From reading your blog, it would appear that you use your "phone" for games and phone primarily rather than business, (Exchange synching of contacts, calendar, etc), use which I think the Treo is geared towards.

Also, what you state in your blog is inaccurate: "The other advantage the Q has over the Treo is there is a dedicated speaker button to the right of the SPACE bar, making it easy to run on or off the speaker. To do this on the Treo you have to navigate the menus. "

I believe: You can turn the Treo's speaker off by sliding the hard button to silent mode.

Lastly FWIW, my co-worker is on his 3rd "Q". The 1st 2 were returned for various problems including lock-ups.
    Read again please! I don't use my phone for gaming, actually.. primarily email. Also, I was referring to the speaker phone functionality, not the speaker (I'm aware of the slide button on top lol)
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by robodude View Post
    sourmash I think you made a mistake to get the Q because Verizon will likely have the wx next month. If I were you, I'll send that Q back, wait til Verizon gets the wx, then do the trade off.

Fortunately, I don't have as many issues with my 700w as most do with theirs since I'm not a power user. I'm a rare, happy 700w user.
    Thanks for the advice, but if you read my article you'll see there are plenty of other things that bother me about the Treo 700w besides the lack of memory, and I doubt any of those issues will be resolved with the wx model. Since making the change to the Q, I can't see any reason to go back to the 700w -- it's simply a better phone for my needs. I realize my needs aren't the same as everyone else though.
    I think everyone needs to evaluate which phone is best. I'm actually considering the black Q myself since I'm finding it hard to get all my critical needs in a Treo. I need:

Good quality phone reception & voice
    Good coverage for reception
    High-speed data where I need to use it.
    Must work with bluetooth in my car.
    Web browsing on phone
    Works as bluetooth modem for laptop
    Good contacts and calendar.

I'm finding Cingular data service much less reliable than Verizon, and most Treos don't work with my car (to be clearer, they work but have lots of bugs). The Treo 680 works fine with the car but has no high speed data.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I was referring to the speaker phone functionality, not the speaker (I'm aware of the slide button on top lol)
    Ahh! My Bad.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Since making the change to the Q, I can't see any reason to go back to the 700w -- it's simply a better phone for my needs. I realize my needs aren't the same as everyone else though.
    That says it all. well put.
    Very good article I linked to it on my site.

http://gadgetsonthego.net/2006/12/mi...otorola-q.html
    Verizon really needs to get the 700wx, the 700w is a great device with the x attached
    I understand how you feel, I just got a Dash and am loving it. I haven't ditched my 700p, or 700wx yet (I know I have too many phones). Smartphone Edition is pretty good actually, and after using a Treo you don't miss the touchscreen too much (since the Treo is mostly used one handed). Use what works for you. I am a huge Treo fan, but the Dash is so thin, feels great in the hand, battery life is unbelievable, and wifi can't be beat. At times I wish Palm would do something similar ala Palm OS smartphone edition so we could have thinner phones.

I'm surprised your getting great battery life on the Q, when I had one that was the clincher for me, I couldn't get through a day with it. My Treos would always outlast the Q (I had), and the Dash with wifi, BT and smaller battery still beat my Treos with the 2400 extended battery.

Just goes to show ya different strokes for different folks. Great article, and I'm glad you're loving the Q.
    Jimmie Geddes
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for the link Jimmie! Yes, the battery life so far has been excellent. I can go all day long with a few calls and a few web pages and I still have 40% or more battery life. I used to let my Treo go overnight on battery as a test (7-8 hours) and it would lose anywhere from 20-40% battery just sitting still (doing it's hourly mail polling and ActiveSyncing as well). Same setup with the Q, and it loses maybe 10% battery overnight. Maybe it's the new software on this black Q which states it gives you better battery life, so I don't have any experience with the earlier Q phones.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I went the other way around. I had a Q since the day it was available, and I loved it, but I found it too limiting for me in the end, and found a user that was willing to trade his 700w for my Q. He is happy, and I am happy, so it was a good deal.

I did find that the battery life is about equal for me using MS Direct Push to get my hosted Exchange email.

I didn't ditch the Q because I hated it... it was more due to the fact I love to get new phones all the time, and like to have all the bells and whistles, and the Q just didn't cut it as far as that goes, and with 3 new PDA phones from VZW coming in the next couple months, I will be moving away from the Treo as well.
    wow! how refreshing to hear more and more people understand the merits of some other non-Palm/Treo device. i had the Q too and loved it (coming from a Treo 700w, feel free to search my very early adopter Q posts) and could not understand how more weren't making the switch to the less bulky and heavy device. i like Treos too (currently trying a 680) but nothing could replace my Pearl.

thin is in.
    I'm also going to make this switch. I like my Treo but have simply run out of patience for its faults. Had the opportunity to play with the Q lately and am super impressed with it.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I made the switch, then made the switch back 15 days later. Personally, I hated the Q. The battery lasted half a day, the phone responded so slow that things like manually dialing a number seemed to take forever, the phone would be sitting next me to silent, and then it would light up to tell me I missed a call, the OS was sluggish and painful to navigate, and it actually felt bulkier in-hand then my Treo because of the design. Smaller in my pocket for sure, but bulkier while in use. I couldn't wait to go back the my Treo after those 15 days.

Other then those things, I liked it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast