1.    #1  
    Now this one....if even real....looks like a monster:

http://www.pocketpcaddict.com/forums...-revealed.html
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    reminds me of the OQO.. if this device comes to market, I'm very surprised (still) at processor power.... I guess only way to get 640x480 and processor > 412mHz is to get the grandaddy HTC Universal... (i just sold mine)

I'm starting to see that htc is going the way of palm... offering yesterdays technology at tomorrows prices...

btw off topic but if the specs for the 6800 are correct, no upgrade in screen resolution, no upgrade in processor (unacceptable to me) and forcing user to upgrade to microsd (i just upgraded to mini). can you imagine its been 2 years @ 412mHz in their processors? they definitely need to offer a higher processor but ability to run it at slower speed or something....
    I have so far resisted posting about the HTC Arthena, as it seemed a major disappointment specs wise (5 inch QVGA screen??) that did not justify its seemingly massive size. The UnWired has however come to the rescue, with a rumour that the specs leaked earlier are for from the real deal.

They have received an anonymous e-mail informing them that the real specs are nothing but stellar:

Device is bit larger than the HTC Universal and more square, also it's quite heavier than the Universal
    It's about the same thickness
    It has a detachable keyboard which is partly made from clear plastic so when it works as a cover of the HTC Athena, you can still see basic information on the main screen like signal power or battery
    When keyboard works as a stand, the device stands on it (it's communicating by the connector on the keyboard and connecting 'pads' on the side of the Athena when it stands on the keyboard and is kept together by strong magnets)
    Keyboard is kept in place by magnets in closed position as well
    Device has 5" VGA 640x480 screen
    Further features includes:
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE and UMTS
    Bluetooth 2.0
    W-LAN b/g
    624 MHz processor,
    8 GB drive
    3 megapixel camera with flash
    GPS
    2200 mAh battery
    G-Sensor
    VGA out
    Stereo speakers
    miniSD
    Now these specs are something worth shouting about! The combination of features addresses nearly all the complaints people may have had about the slightly limited HTC Universal, and it will only be topped if the device was found also to feature USB Host.

With a device this powerful it does however become a valid question whether it may not be better off running a full Windows OS. Would you buy a very powerful (and probably very expensive) PocketPC Phone vs a UMPC for a similar price? Let us know in the thread.

Source: theUnWired.com

http://www.clieuk.co.uk/wm.shtml
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Ok then...
    It looks a little "big-ish", BUT - I'm glad I haven't bought my 8525 yet. Unless it's considerably bigger than the 8125/8525, and the updated specs are inaccurate, THIS sucker will be my next phone. Lets see how soon they make a production model available...
  5.    #5  
    Only if you live in EU. Everything takes an extra year.....if ever.....to reach the States!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    well those specs are a little more appealing however, good point, if the OQO could run xp 1.5 years ago, and similar UMPCs (or however they say it) can run xp especialy with 8 and 16gb flash drives! then this should as well! because lets face it, how many times has each of us gone to a website only to find out "this website does not support your browser, please upgrade to IE 7" etc. or "Macromedia Flash Player 8 or higher needed" etc. let alone plug ins. I love my 6700 but feel restricted at times. of course this is nowhere near the 600 haydays of the treo (i still have the handspring box that shows wifi cards can work listed on it but still, one would think a device this big, and battery as well (jasjar/universal only came with 1650mAH) would be a xp os
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I still like it. It may not run XP, but frankly, I'd much rather have a pda phone that does all it should than a tiny hamstrung pc. When I want to (and have time) play on big sites with flash and gobs of frames, I have a good laptop. I will admit, however, with a device capable of downloading at potential 3G speeds, these things might be nice. I can't wait to see one and get a better feel for its size.
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    Are they going to use it to replace the Universal?

I rather see a jornada 720 forma factor WM personally.
    Have you seen these pics?

Surur
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Those pictures make it look a little larger than the vague description I've seen elsewhere. Also, the "clear" keyboard sounded kinda nice - that's no clear keyboard in those pics! I'd love to see a hand on it or something to provide a better sense of scale. The photo with the stylus doesn't really give much info. Thanks for sharing those, though.
    The top of the keyboard is clear, so you can only see some of the screen when its covered by the keyboard.

It does look a it chunky, definitely not for use on the move. Battery life will be great however.

Surur
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ya, clunky is a pretty good word to describe it. and it looks like you won't be able to hold it in your hands to type, let alone the angle the screen is at, it does not look adjustable for handheld use. I honestly can't imagine a pda nowadays *larger* than the universal/jasjar/etc. but perhaps the extra features such as vga out required it. seems if the keyboard is usable however, this would make a good laptop replacement, but I'm not convinced wm5 is "zippy" as opposed to xp by anybody's standards. but maybe they needed it for phone purposes.
    Two bits held together with magnets? You have to put it down and assemble it before you can use the keyboard? It's a mobile device but you need a desk to use it? I'm really, really not part of the target market for this device!
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Battery life will be great however.
    I'm not so sure. 2200 mAh is only 22% more than a Treo 650 and the Athena has a much bigger, higher-res screen and a processor that's twice as fast. Add in Wifi, 3G and other power-hungry usages and I could see battery life being much less than stellar. On the other hand, chances are you're not actually going to go anywhere with it, so you might as well just plug it into the mains
    Mobile-review calls it a technology demonstration, still meant for the market, but targeted at only a very narrow segment, to test technologies meant to be used in later devices. They emphasize (and they usually have insider knowledge) that its not an HTC Universal successor, that this may come later this year, but the start of a whole new line.

Imagine if this was Hawking's new "third line". People would have been all over it: A whole new class of device, similar to a web pad, but portable outside the home, and connectible everywhere, usually at high speed, plus including useful technology like GPS, USB Host and significant storage.

Now of course I have my problems with this design, and wont be buying it myself. The estimated price of $1500-$2000 is turn of enough, but not being able to type without sitting down, its blocky design, no Digital TV receiver, and only 8-10 GB of HDD storage which is way too little these days, but it certainly is an interesting device, and hopefully a sign of whats to come.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Mobile-review calls it a technology demonstration, still meant for the market, but targeted at only a very narrow segment, to test technologies meant to be used in later devices.
    Fair enough - it does make a lot more sense if you look at like that, although why they think it's a good idea to have it in two bits is pretty much beyond me. Are they planning something other than a QWERTY that could be switched in as required? Even if they are, I really don't know why they couldn't include a hinge, at least then (at a push) you could use the keyboard without a table and without fear of the main bit of the device falling off. Whatever the future of technology holds, I'm sure it will include hinges in laptops (even little ones like this) for a goodly while yet!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Whatever the future of technology holds, I'm sure it will include hinges in laptops (even little ones like this) for a goodly while yet!

Maybe not if they get their way

Anyway, at least there will be a super high end choice next year for those with more money than sense It reminds me of that huge Nokia with the gigantic video camera - not very practical as a phone either, but definitely a prestige item for Nokia.

Surur
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    $1500-2000? Yeah, that pretty much does it for me. It's not THAT much smaller (looking) than the oQo for comparable money. I'm still not too sure that cool little Sony UXBxxx isn't one of the coolest things I've seen yet! Again, the same sort of money - and I can connect it to Cingular's data network on the road. One thing's for sure - there's some interesting development in the pocket sized laptop world right now...
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.