1.    #1  
    Check out Palm's page on Palm OS 4.0:

http://www.palm.com/software/palmos4.html

At the bottom of the page, they have a Palm model compatibility list. Only the M500 and M505 are listed.

Does this imply:

1) That other Palms (with Flash ROM), e.g., Palm Vx, Palm IIIx, etc., cannot run Palm OS 4.0?

2) If (1) is true, it would seem to imply that Palm OS 4.0 couldn't be ported to Visors, either.

Anybody know for sure?
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by bookrats
    2) If (1) is true, it would seem to imply that Palm OS 4.0 couldn't be ported to Visors, either.
    Strictly speaking, you don't have to "port" the OS because they run on the same processors. That said, there is no reason why Handspring cannot use PalmOS 4.0 on future products. Handspring is a PalmOS licensee, and as such, has access to the PalmOS source. Changes may have to be made to these sources, but there is no technical reason why they could not be "ported".
    "Hey! Check out these cresent-fresh skulls in my salad!"- Sifl & Olly
    I was thinking the same thing. Anybody know different?

However, according to Mr. Hawkins, The version of OS that comes on the Edge, Prism & Platinum is essentially what Palm is calling PamlOS 4. It's about 10:40 into the webcast.

At the bottom of the page, they have a Palm model compatibility list. Only the M500 and M505 are listed.

Does this imply:

1) That other Palms (with Flash ROM), e.g., Palm Vx, Palm IIIx, etc., cannot run Palm OS 4.0?

Anybody know for sure?
    <speculation>Perhaps the entire difference between 3.5.2 and 4.0 is the bits which make the SD slot work and be able to run stuff from the cards.</speculation>
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...

Does this imply:

Neither, if I read Palm's site correctly. The site is displaying the "compatibility" for OS4 the same way it displays compatibility for accessories, such as the portable keyboard - only models currently supported by (accessory/OS/etc.) are highlighted.

It is entirely possible that OS4, as it exists at the moment, requires the SD port to be present to function properly. So other Palms with FlashROM are out of luck - for the moment. There's nothing saying that Palm won't be releasing a version of OS4 for their other Flashable handhelds soon - in fact, Palm has a history of releasing hardware-specific OS versions.

As for Visor, what the others said is essentially correct - a "port" isn't necessary since both machines run on the same processors. But as Visors aren't flashable, we'll never have a "full" version on OS4, but HS had done a pretty good job bringing us most of the OS4 features in 3.5.2H. (Although Attention Manager would be nice. And while we're at it, will Prism owners be seeing support for the silent alarm?)

It's a good bet that once HS has a chance to tinker with the OS4 code, they'll make their own modifications to it. And I'd bet money that the next Visor to ship will ship with 4.0H installed.
    I think that the comparison chart on Palm's website only means that the M50x series have PalmOS v4 as part of their current specification. This will be just like when the Palm V came out with 3.1 and then after 3.5 came out, production was upgraded to 3.5. The beta that I saw a number of months ago includes images for the Palm V, Palm VIIx, and Palm IIIX.

I think that Hawkins statements that HandSpring's 3.5.2H OS is the same as OS4 is probably equivalent to HandSpring's statements about the upgradability of the Visor OS - half truths wrapped up in a pretty package. v3.5.2H probably has most of the v4.0 functionality, but let's get real here. If every bit of the functionality was present, HandSpring would have called it v4.0.
    Last edited by bradhaak; 03/19/2001 at 05:02 PM.
    If you are signed up as a Palm Developer (Which I am, really simple to do) then you can download beta ROMs for all the Palms that have Flash memory.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    PalmOS 4.0 requires 4 meg of FlashRom instead of 2. That is the number one reason the other models don't support it. (There are other hardware difference like USB and the SD slot that the other units don't have.)

No reason at all that would prevent Handspring from using it in a future handheld. It would probably be known as 4.0H after HS adds the springboard support.

-Eric
    I'd like to point out one thing...that this isn't a war between Sony, Handspring and Palm. It is in Palm's best interest to ensure each company succeeds...with Microsoft gaining on the Palm OS...they need all the market share they can get...it would be damaging to keep the rest of the market behind them. Cutting off the nose to spite the face...I would say.
    I saw that everyone else had a signature and I felt left out, so here is mine.