View Poll Results: Are you jumping ship?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • My next will be the M500

0 0%
  • My next will be the M505

39 22.54%
  • My next will be the Edge

6 3.47%
  • My next will be the new Clie

20 11.56%
  • My next will be something else (WinCe device, Kyocera, Etc)

13 7.51%
  • I'm sticking with what I got for the forseeable future

95 54.91%
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, the the M500 and M505 are here. Who's jumping ship? I'm not, I don't care much about color and prefer the edge to the M500...

...not to mention I can't afford either.
    Jumping ship is myopic. Of the newest models that have just popped up...iPaq, Clie, and the new Palm devices...none of them are as functional and expandable as the Visor.

There are over 40 modules shipping for the Visor. The iPaq and Clie have some nice functions that I would like to see in a Visor, but they don't really help improve my efficiency or really expand functionality like the Visor modules.

iPaq - PalmOS still has more applications and is a more elegant OS. Less can often be more. Takes more lines of code and storage to support all that media crap. I would rather have a minimized OS with all my fun stuff on a module. I really don't want built-in MP3 or video...put it on a module.

Clie - a lot of talk about it being expandable through the memory stick slot, but where are the modules? I would prefer to see Sony making modules, not handhelds.

Palm - a new (small) expansion slot that gives Palm users some of the basic tools we have become accustomed to in the past year. Also, where are their modules? It is stupid to add a Palm handheld to another device to expand it's abilities. Visor is still the smartest integration of hardware and software. I prefer to add technology to my Visor, not the other way around.

People who jump ship are the gadget geeks who just can't stand not having the newest thing.

I am a little disappointed with the Edge release...I wanted to see more...for less. But, I would rather see them release this product to quell the people screaming for a smaller unit than for them to misstep and release something that just wasn't ready. We all know that Handspring isn't the type of company to sit and just take it...they are extremely competitive. We know we will see more out of them in the next year.

Patience is a virtue. All of us who bought the original VDX are still able to use it over a year later. I still use my blue VDX...with all these modules shipping...I haven't really needed to upgrade my handheld...because I do that with each module purchase. I'll bet I could use it for another year and not need a new model.

My biggest disappointment of all...is that with all of these great modules shipping, the software development community is a little slow to develop great tools to work with them. However I see the same thing across the entire handheld spectrum.

Too early to jump...in fact...things are just starting to get interesting.
    I saw that everyone else had a signature and I felt left out, so here is mine.
    I have praise and concern both ways. First off, praise, 'cause my momma says, unless you got something nice to say, don't say it at all. I will be speaking about both new units, but mostly the 505 since it has color.

65,000 color screen. This is a big step in the right direction for Palm and their platforms.

USB...Thank God (you can thank whichever you choose)...enough said.

SD...more great news. I think in the long run, this platform will be more supported than the Springboard. Now, I'm not a prophet, and I love the Springboard...but as much as I'd like to see it kill SD, if it has Sandisk's name on it...it will succeed.

Two upgradable slots...USB and SD together? This sounds like fun!

Flashable OS! This is great news...let's just see if it really works or not when OS 5.0 comes out!

Palm Vx form factor...another great thing, with a great little screen.

Backlit Graffiti area....yeah baby, yeah!

NOW...for my concerns:

65,000 color 16-bit display. Still not on par with WinCE devices...now I'm not cutting down anything, but I want to praise Casio on this one. No one does it better...and I think in the long run, Casio needs to be the supplier for everyone's Palm or WinCE needs!

Next thing is a concern and praise...for one, they are making it easier to access Word, Excel and Outlook. But how good does it work? Can I edit Word and Excel files and then save them...and then have them work later on my computer? That would be the key for me.

Also, more important, could I edit them, and then attach the files to an email, and email them through a SD modem, so that someone else can open them on their computer?

GREAT JOB Palm! But for now, I am mostly attracted to what catches my eye...and that is a much higher res. screen that doesn't make me squint. I need a device that I can stare at for an hour and not feel a headache coming on...I don't feel that 160x160 is good enough...so hopefully OS 5.0 will fix this. Until then, my vote goes to Casio for a WinCE device...oh, and I can buy a Casio for $449.00
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
    Alan (and others):

I must remind you all that when some of us bought our VDxs, there were 3 modules out (Tiger woods, backup, 8MB) I remember running to buy my Handspring modem when they finally started selling in stores last february.

At the time, everybody who liked the Visor kept hearing comments like "Great but there aren't any modules".

Ironic that it's come full circle. We shouldn't take comments that irked us in the past and use them ourselves.

I don't think the "look at all the modules available" arguement should be the basis of a decsion, considering that a lot of us sat around and waited for the modules that are out today (and still waiting for others!).

I, personally, will judge the merits of the new Palms and Clie based on other features...not 'module' availability (because i'm sure they're on their way...just like the handspring modules were a year ago!)
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
  5. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I currently own three springboard modules for my Visor Deluxe- two backup modules and an Innopak 2/V. The Palm m505 gives me an 8MB PalmOS device with a built-in vibrating alarm (my main reason for owning the 2/V) plus a smaller expansion slot. If the m505 screen is good enough, I'll (try to) get one in May.

I like Handspring, but their release of the Edge has shown that the Springboard slot is just too big. I'm much more interested in the possiblities of SD than having an Edge with a sprinboard sleeve that's larger than it is.
    Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA
    Alan (and others):

...At the time, everybody who liked the Visor kept hearing comments like "Great but there aren't any modules".

Ironic that it's come full circle. We shouldn't take comments that irked us in the past and use them ourselves.
    Exactly!
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
    I guess what my point is (that I should have made more clear) is that currently there are a lot of modules available for the Visor...and regardless of what may be coming for the other companies...it isn't here yet. It may take Palm a year to get things going with their new models...and a lot can happen in a year.

So that point I was trying to make...was that it is just too early to go jumping anywhere. Sony could drop the Clie tomorrow if sales weren't what they wanted. I mean anything could happen in the next 6 months to a year...so before anyone goes off buying a new system "hoping" for bigger and better...you have a lot you can use today. If you aren't a power user and it is just a PIM...then it really doesn't matter what you use really.

I have a ThinModem+, GPS, Eye2 and a few more items...and I don't have to wait for comparable Palm products. I have a good idea that no matter what I invest in on the Springboard side...I will probably still be able to use it in a year no matter what device they release.
    And the Palm m505 has the most important "module" already – a backup module. That's the only one I own now, and the only thing that would keep me from getting a Palm. The Palm m505 may be an option when I need to upgrade (I'm not going to spend $85 to get a refurb deluxe if my screen cracks – I'll put that money toward a new handheld), and actually has an edge over Handspring's backup module just in regards to the size issue. Were I to get an edge the backup module would be permanently inserted in the "detachable springboard slot" effectively making it a huge thing to lug around for simple backup purposes, whereas Palm's backup solution would be tiny. I'll enjoy seeing what's available when I upgrade.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    ... actually has an edge over Handspring's backup module just in regards to the size issue.
    I have to disagree here in part. I feel that the Springboard size is an asset. I have a MiniJam, and let me tell you, I am completely paranoid that I'm going to lose that tiny 64MB MMC card. It's a hundred freakin dollars for that thing, and it's smaller than a postage stamp. Yikes! I have the same complaint about memory stick. It's just too small! Everytime I handle one of them I feel like I'm going to break it, or worse, lose it. Spingboard is small enough to be convienent, but not so small that I feel like I'm going to accidentally throw it away or mis-place it.

And just remember folks, it should be possible to create a Springboard or Edge Connector module that allows the Visor to use the SD/MMC cards as if they were in an M50x!
    "Hey! Check out these cresent-fresh skulls in my salad!"- Sifl & Olly
    Originally posted by Black_Dragon
    And just remember folks, it should be possible to create a Springboard or Edge Connector module that allows the Visor to use the SD/MMC cards as if they were in an M50x!
    I was going to mention this...I imagine you could fit about four SD/MMC cards into a Springboard module for simultaneous use.

Another thing that interests me...and I don't think you have seen much about it lately...is that Iomega has announced that they will build support for the PocketZip drives for handhelds. Now I can see a module for this...but how/where would it plug into the new Palm? The PocketZip is $10 for 40MB...and that price will probably go down while their storage capacity goes up. I would love to have a Iomega MP3 player and also use the PocketZip drives. I have one for my laptop and I love it.

I don't think that smaller is always better. I care less about thin...and more about weight.
    I'm referring to users who only have a backup module, not the full gambit of mp3 players, digital cameras, etc. In that case the springboard slot has an advantage, if for no other reason than some of the bulk can be internal. But for those who only need a portable backup option, the m505 offers it. I hope my deluxe lasts long enough for these shenanigans to get sorted out a bit.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.

I have to disagree here in part. I feel that the Springboard size is an asset. I have a MiniJam, and let me tell you, I am completely paranoid that I'm going to lose that tiny 64MB MMC card. It's a hundred freakin dollars for that thing, and it's smaller than a postage stamp.
    Actually Egghead.com sells the 64mb MMC card for $90 now.. (bought one for my Geode the other day) -- so you can worry a little less now.. (getting cheaper all the time too)
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    Originally posted by agraham999
    Too early to jump...in fact...things are just starting to get interesting.
    Ditto. I thought about getting one of the newer models, but I haven't had my Prism that long and I already have several modules invested in it. I think I'll hold out as long as I can and see what PalmOS 5.x offers.

---------------------------
    I need more cash.
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    Ok, the the M500 and M505 are here. Who's jumping ship? I'm not, I don't care much about color and prefer the edge to the M500...
    I'm not jumping 1) because I don't need a new device and 2) even if I did, I've already got some investment in springboards. Besides, who said that one of the existing springboards that supports MMC won't allow you to share with some sort of firmware update (not sure about SD support, though). The flexibility of the springboard slot is just too real to ignore.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...

but that's so far away, why bother waiting when Palm has the capability to use SD/MMC cards right now!

Sorry, couldn't resist! (isn't it ironic?)
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA

but that's so far away, why bother waiting when Palm has the capability to use SD/MMC cards right now!

Sorry, couldn't resist! (isn't it ironic?)
    Speaking of which...did VaporGear ever get the MMC functionality of the Minijams working?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  17. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Here's what I'd like to see:

A color Visor Edge using the Clie screen with OS4 and a vibrating alarm. Instead of the "Edge Connector" it would have an SD slot which the Springboard sleeve would connect to. That way I could keep my current backup modules and use any new modules I want, or SD modules.

Hell, since I'm dreaming like this it should have the IR on top and the flip cover should connect to something other than the SD slot.
    Originally posted by Toby
    Speaking of which...did VaporGear ever get the MMC functionality of the Minijams working?
    VaporGear... Tee hee! I assume you mean the "store Palm apps on MMC" function. The answer is no, not yet. RSN tho I believe.
    "Hey! Check out these cresent-fresh skulls in my salad!"- Sifl & Olly
    I think I'm going to hold off on a new handheld investment. The new m505 while the color, alarm, and form factor are pretty cool, really does not have that WOW! factor that the Clie 2 have. If the Clie 2 was offered in the US, I would probably jump ship. Maybe the next Visor will have some if not all the Clie 2's attributes then I might upgrade.
    Fat's
    Originally posted by Toby

I'm not jumping 1) because I don't need a new device and 2) even if I did, I've already got some investment in springboards. Besides, who said that one of the existing springboards that supports MMC won't allow you to share with some sort of firmware update (not sure about SD support, though). The flexibility of the springboard slot is just too real to ignore.
    ...and then there's this...

Originally posted on Macworld.com

The m500 will be released in late April. The m505 follows in May.
    ...which means, frankly, Handspring has another 2 months breathing room, which they can use to concoct the color Edge, or whatever. It's an interesting difference between Palm and Handspring: Handspring waits until a product is available to ship before announcing it, while Palm announces the product, then sits back and waits for the orders to roll in. Essentially, the m505 is still vapor for another 2 months.

In closing, I feel like I should mention this as well:

Also from Macworld.com - italics are mine:

So what do Palm executives think of the latest Visor? "It's a nice product," Christopher says. "But it's almost the opposite of what we're doing. The Edge is a small device that has no expansion, unless you add bulk to it, whereas we're making a smaller product that does have expansion. Even as it is, the Edge is bigger. We think we've designed the most wearable, elegant, expandable product in the marketplace."
    Now, while I can't deny the claims about the form factor, the bit about the Edge having no expansion without bulk is a flat out lie. Granted, HS hasn't released any modules that utilize the Edge Connector without the sleeve, but that doesn't rule out that they COULD.

I think the word I'm looking for is HUBRIS.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast