View Poll Results: Are you jumping ship?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • My next will be the M500

0 0%
  • My next will be the M505

39 22.54%
  • My next will be the Edge

6 3.47%
  • My next will be the new Clie

20 11.56%
  • My next will be something else (WinCe device, Kyocera, Etc)

13 7.51%
  • I'm sticking with what I got for the forseeable future

95 54.91%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    corb:

I think it's a decent choice - not the one I'd make, but very sound. I played with the Kyocera, and was generally impressed, although I did not play with the phone/web features, just the PDA side of things.

It's not the choice I'd make however - but then I love having a color screen, and I do use quite a few modules - I leave my InnoPak in most of the time for the extra 2mb. I also use the backup module, SoundsGood, and Magellan GPS, and occasionally the eyemodule. I would miss the added functionality. If I wanted to intergrate a phone with a PDA, I'd probably have to look at the Visor Phone.

However, if you don't use any of that stuff, I think the Kyocera is a very solid choice. Let us know how it works out.
    From pictures I've seen it looks like the flip down part might get in the way of graffiti-ing. Can anyone comment on this?
    Mike
    I'd rather be upside down in my kayak than rightside up at my desk.
    Originally posted by Toby
    I'm not jumping 1) because I don't need a new device and 2) even if I did, I've already got some investment in springboards. Besides, who said that one of the existing springboards that supports MMC won't allow you to share with some sort of firmware update (not sure about SD support, though). The flexibility of the springboard slot is just too real to ignore.
    Well, after having two Ice VDxs crack near the power button within the past two months, the foreseeable future has obviously changed. After vacillating between the new Handera and the Edge for the past few days, I ordered my Edge this morning. The Handera was definitely tempting, but ultimately couldn't get over my aversion to that case. I didn't get it for the same reason that I was never interested in the VPl, i.e. that dreadful silver paint on plastic. So, hopefully the digitizer gremlins won't plague me like they have some of my brethren. Visor Deluxe along with accessories coming to an eBay near you soon...
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    i thought the flip cover might be annoying for graffiti, too, but i tried it in the store and surprisingly, it is not. you end up with your hand slightly angled to the side, but it's not inhibitive at all.
    i CAN spell, i just don't have time...
    Toby,
    Physical construction of the edge is 2nd to none (IMO). May the digitizer gods shine upon you.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.

The Handera was definitely tempting, but ultimately couldn't get over my aversion to that case. I didn't get it for the same reason that I was never interested in the VPl, i.e. that dreadful silver paint on plastic.
    I thought that the HandEra's front was metal "plated" according to Mike Walters. That's what I read from Palmstation's Q&A with the HandEra people.
    Fat's
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    I thought that the HandEra's front was metal "plated" according to Mike Walters. That's what I read from Palmstation's Q&A with the HandEra people.
    *shrug* Painted...plated...whatever, it just doesn't look like it'd be very durable. If it turns out later that they offer a matte black, then I might get one through the office (since by then they might have the CF ethernet drivers that could justify it). Regardless, I'm thinking that real metal is going to be the ticket for me since plastic and I haven't been getting along lately.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    I've owned a Palm Pro; Palm IIIx; Visor Deluxe and Vx. The new M505 is tempting for the small form factor/color/SD memory, but it looks like the little guys may have pulled off an upset.

The Handera 330, with CF/SD and enhanced screen could be the real competition for Handspring and Palm. I don't see why you couldn't build a CF version of most Springboards, and still have 64mb SD/MMC memory available to boot.

The screen shots, particularly landscape mode docs and spreadsheets are great. No color, but at $349 for all the rest, it would be a great place to park for a year or two until we see how things shakle out with ARM processors and new organic color displays.
  9. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dstrauss
    I don't see why you couldn't build a CF version of most Springboards, and still have 64mb SD/MMC memory available to boot.
    I think one problem with that idea is there may be too many different devices that cannot all be easily supported (the Casio, HP Jornada, iPaq PocketPCs, older WinCE handhelds, TRGPro, Handera 330, ...) For example, can the Casio CF digital camera work in the iPaq or the TRGPro? With the springboard module, at least developers only have to make one version (if you ignore OS version or RF shielding annoyances that don't affect most modules) and they know it will work with any Visor handheld. The TRGPro has been around for a long time now, and I don't think there are very many CF devices outside of memory (I think there's a wireline modem, a cellphone modem, and maybe a barcode scanner...I don't think they even got wired ethernet CF cards working...)
  10. hog
    I've owned a visor since the month they first came out. My VDx has been to me irreplaceable til now because its speed, memory, and features simply have not been significantly surpassed by any other device to date including the platinum.

But I have seen a better device, clearly better in almost every way. It is the Handera 330.

Though the Visor Edge was a hot temptress and the possibilities of the palm M500 was titillating, after a one-night stand I see so clearly that these devices were all surface - no heart on the inside, kinda like a pricey leggy ho in Vegas.

But the Handera 330 is like the woman of your dreams; solid, basic, intelligent, and with a host of assets both practical, beautiful, and arousing. I shall ditch my current *****, the VDx, in favour of the Handera330 - aye, it is time to grab my midlife-crisis-2nd-wife-PDA.
    Originally posted by Fat_Man
    "I thought that the HandEra's front was metal "plated" according to Mike Walters. That's what I read from Palmstation's Q&A with the HandEra people. "

I had to do a quick mental search AND a run through of this posting, then a journey to Palmstation to find out that you were referring to comments made by Mike Walter (of Handera), and not me, Michael Walters (well, of my own life).

(No, I don't do drugs- I've just not been sleeping much this last week)

Michael

(seriously thinking, as of my birthday, of switching to Prism- regardless of the fact that it will probably develop small cracks like my current deluxe.)

P.S. Hog, does your nickname mean you like Harleys, raise swine, or think of yourself as a pig? (did I miss a possibility?)
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    [...] P.S. Hog, does your nickname mean you like Harleys, raise swine, or think of yourself as a pig? (did I miss a possibility?)
    Yep, it's also a fairly obscure reference to old handguns (hog or hog-leg), IIRC.
    hog, you're not supposed to sleep with your pda. Just thought I'd point that out.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    I have seen a lot of talk about the "extra" expandability of the new Palms, but a few issues about this argument confuse me, so could someone fill me in on what I am missing?

1: I see a lot of discussion about what a great advantage it is that the new Palms can use a device in the SD slot, and one in the "Universal Connector" at the same time, but for the life of me, I can not come up with a single technical issue that would prohibit a Visor from talking to a device in the Springboard slot, and one attached to the USB port (assuming you would ever want to do that) at the same time. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that this "extra feature" is just a workaround for the difficulty in creating non-memory products for the SD slot.

2: From a hardware design point of view, it seems that the limited number of pinouts on an SD slot (7 pins I belive), would make it much more difficult to design advanced modules like cameras, GPSs, and things like the Presenter-to-Go. These things are planned or already to market for Springboard, CF, PCMCIA, but there you have more than twice the number of pins. Any device that uses the SD slot, is going to have to be essentially, a standalone device, that is just letting the Palm read files off of it. I am not particularly familiar with SD, but does the spec even allow for power supply through the slot? If it does, then that leaves what, 5 pins for communication? I don't really see this as a viable competitor to SB or CF in terms of add-on hardware.

3: The placement of the SD slot on the new Palm devices, IMO, indicates that Palm has no real expectation of developers creating anything more than memory options for that port. The slot is over to one side (and perhaps even ON the side in the new wireless device) and would be very cumbersome to attach any sort of bulky expansion to, while still holding the device in your hand. If you look at the "Accessory Connectors" they are much more geared for devices that plug into the "Universal Connector" and ride on the back of the unit sled style.

I think that what you are going to see, is more of the same old connect-through-the-hotsync-port type devices, and memory storage only on the SD/MMC.
    The goal is to overcome the deliberate nature of the process.
    I can't speak too much to 2 or 3, though I figure they are mostly if not completely on the mark. I figure it's VHS verus Betamax, Betamax was better in most ways, but VHS was being pushed by the bigger cats. The most common wish for modules are communications and memory. It would be easy I think to make a SD to Cell Phone Cable. And memory is much cheaper and better supported for the MMC profile.

As far as 1... Theoretically you are write but in my experience the VDX at least doesn't work too well with a modem and a keyboard in at the same time. This seems to be because Handspring uses the serial hotsync interface for both the keyboard and modem. This would be a major OS revision, which handspring doesn't support. That said it seems to work some of the time anyway, but my experience has been that some programs won't be able to open the modem connection with a keyboard installed because they can't open the 'serial port'. Palm had the benefits of being second to market here and I'd have to say that the universal connector is probably better implemented in Palm OS for than Handspring's USB in OS 3.1.2 and 3.5.2

Outside of those issues, there is still the overwhelming size issue. Handspring Visors excepting the edge are big. When you want to use modules with the edge it gets bigger.

I think Handera had the right idea supporting two internal expansion methods. I hope that the Visor will have some form of MMC expansion in addition to the Springport. This would be ideal because springport seems to be the best size for a fully functional module at the current state of technology, whereas MMC seems to be the memory type that can be supported with the smallest amount of internal real estate.

They could possibly make it mount on the side of the device or even have it installed behind a panel on the rear of the device?

If the edge could take internal memory expansions in the form of MMC, it would be much more marketable.... as it would meet the m500 on all fronts... and beat it on everything but vaporware

Kg
    Oh my gosh,
    been reading this thread all morning. Very informed posters.

but then....out of the blue of academia and endless facts..

I just had to sit and type...

Could HOG please write in again? About anything at all really.
    All right,
    I went to see the m505. The staples salesperson said they had 1 and I asked him to take it out of the box for me to see. He did so and turned it on. Then he asked me if I knew where the contrast button was. Of course, WE know there is no contrast button. NUF SAID.
    And really, it was that obvious.

I bought the prism and hope it's the Vdlx upgrade I'm longing for. I'll let you know.

If it turns out later that they offer a matte black, then I might get one through the office (since by then they might have the CF ethernet drivers that could justify it).
    The HandEra 330 compatible CF Ethernet cards are listed on their website, and an similar beta of that version of the OS is out to TRGPro owners currently.

Craig
    Originally posted by gbgood
    All right,
    I went to see the m505. The staples salesperson said they had 1 and I asked him to take it out of the box for me to see. He did so and turned it on. Then he asked me if I knew where the contrast button was. Of course, WE know there is no contrast button. NUF SAID.
    And really, it was that obvious.

I bought the prism and hope it's the Vdlx upgrade I'm longing for. I'll let you know.

LOL funny story bud. I already got Prism and I can tell you that it is the right upgrade from a VDX.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    It's a great day in Prismville.

Yup, yup. When last you saw me, I was in deep consternation over the lack of easy upgrade from my beloved Vdlx to my new Prism. I was using the backup mod to restore, and the Prism kept crashing upon startup.
    It took me a while, but I narrowed the problem down to the Launcher III program that I use. Apparently, it was an old (99') version that conflicted with palm os v3.5. But... I couldn't remove it because pressing 'on' would crash the prism.
    On the net, I searched for an updated version and FOUND A LAUNCHER III DEACTIVER. This worked perfectly. I also installed the digitizer patch from Handspring. So the graffiti is 'good'(almost as great as Vdlx). Remember, the IIIc totally sucked at graffiti. It had to go.

So yes, yes, yes, the Prism is a definite upgrade from the Vdlx. It's also noticeably faster. I can't comment on the battery life yet. And because I travel, I will have to buy the optional travel charger, $35.

But yes, starting today, I am a 'Prismer of Love'
    GIVE ME COLOR!!!!

Gina

ps. any reason anyone can think of for NOT putting quickbits on my new prism. I want it ALLLLL! and I love that backup mod for saving me many,many times.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast