View Poll Results: Are you jumping ship?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • My next will be the M500

0 0%
  • My next will be the M505

39 22.54%
  • My next will be the Edge

6 3.47%
  • My next will be the new Clie

20 11.56%
  • My next will be something else (WinCe device, Kyocera, Etc)

13 7.51%
  • I'm sticking with what I got for the forseeable future

95 54.91%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Originally quoted by critic
    Now, while I can't deny the claims about the form factor, the bit about the Edge having no expansion without bulk is a flat out lie. Granted, HS hasn't released any modules that utilize the Edge Connector without the sleeve, but that doesn't rule out that they COULD.

I think the word I'm looking for is HUBRIS.
    I think that I agree with the Palm spokesman. The SD/MMC slot is inside of the M50x units. On the Edge, even if you use a module that uses the edge connector, the module has to hang out the back or stick up from the top. The Edge connector is at the corner of the top/back of the unit and there is no room for even a small module within the Edge's form factor.
    Before making the jump to the m505, the Clie 2 IS coming to the US.
    http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...threadid=13204
    Last edited by Fat_Man; 03/19/2001 at 03:11 PM.
    Fat's
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    I think that I agree with the Palm spokesman. The SD/MMC slot is inside of the M50x units. On the Edge, even if you use a module that uses the edge connector, the module has to hang out the back or stick up from the top. The Edge connector is at the corner of the top/back of the unit and there is no room for even a small module within the Edge's form factor.
    One problem with the statements of the Palm spokesman... the only expansion offerings at the moment are memory. Any non-memory expansion has only one place to go...stick out from the top.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Toby:
    One problem with the statements of the Palm spokesman... the only expansion offerings at the moment are memory. Any non-memory expansion has only one place to go...stick out from the top.
    Of course you are completely correct.

I guess that I was just thinking of my usage habits. I have had a Blue Deluxe since the first week that they were available and a Prism that was ordered on the day they were announced. In that time the only modules that I have purchased are a backup SpringBoard for each unit and a 8MB flash module. I keep looking at cameras, modems and MP3 players and can't reconcile myself to how big and ugly they are. I have ended up using a NOKIA 8290 as an infrared wireless modem (works great).

I still don't use any expansion that sticks out from the the unit. This make the M505 (I like color) much more appealing to me, than the Edge.
    I switching to the M505, because:
    • 16-bit color in a small form factor
    • SD expansion without the addition of a sleeve.
    • FlashRom

-Eric
    What if SD doesn't become the next big thing? I mean a lot of companies support technology that they later drop. I think a sleeve is great...at least with the Springboard you could support the SD and about any other media out there. With a Springboard you have a choice...with the Palm you are locked.

I think that Palm saying the reason their technology will succeed is because a lot of other companies support SD is a lame reason. I can name 50 other examples of companies who supported technology that never really grew out of its infancy.

Also...a good point about non-memory expansion...it does have to come out of the top...and at least the Springboard has some strength to it...I never worry about my Eye2 breaking off...but in order to make these modules strong, you would have to add quite a bit of structure to them.

Don't kid yourself...when the Palm comes out with modules...they will stick out. I don't think you can develop any MP3, camera, modem or whatever...without sacrificing the form factor. Especially when it comes to a modem...you gotta plug it in somewhere...and it will have to stick out.
    I saw that everyone else had a signature and I felt left out, so here is mine.
    just playing devil's advocate here (occasionally i do this), but what if developers see the success of the SD slot with Palm and realize that there are MANY more people using it and then decide to focus on the SD and forget about the bulky, rarely purchased Springboard slot?

Just a thought.

I understand what you're saying though, there are many out there who have invested (some heavily) in the springboard slot and so there must be good features about it.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Originally posted by agraham999

Don't kid yourself...when the Palm comes out with modules...they will stick out. I don't think you can develop any MP3, camera, modem or whatever...without sacrificing the form factor. Especially when it comes to a modem...you gotta plug it in somewhere...and it will have to stick out.
    I agree with you!
    Have A Good Day!
    I Love My Prism!
    Allow me to illustrate my point with this image...this is the new camera from Kodak for the Palm 505. Kodak has in fact connected to the bottom of the device...not the SD slot. Imagine holding your Palm in your palm with this thing on it...not as nice as the Eye2 and certainly not as small.

A few more things...

According to Palm's own PRPRPR...$there$ $aren$'$t$ $that$ $many$ $new$ $devices$ ($not$ $software$) $slated$ $at$ $the$ $moment$ $for$ $the$ $SD$.

Also...it looks as if there is no microphone in the Palm.

The m505 Palm doesn't win any design awards...this thing looks like every other Palm device. Yawn.

Lastly...um...what about batteries? I mean...some of the Springboards are a bit big...but at least they have their own battery source. I'd like to see a tiny SD GPS and see how long the Palm would run on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have any of you seen the quick TechTV news blurb on the m505? It was a short 'FreshGear' segment integrated into the regular news report. Jim Louderback showed the m505 and it's features/functionalities.

Apparently from this, the m500 series actually has additional 'mating points' on the back to aid in holding oversized modules. At least, this is what he claimed (he pointed out two little black spots and some gray rectangle on the back of the device).

Now I agree that any non-memory upgrade for the SD slot will have to spill out the back/top, but I don't think that 'breaking' will be an issue if they've designed in 'clamping' points for the bigger devices. If they choose to go out the top (like some of the Memory Stick and CF devices I've seen), then damage seems to be a potential issue.

Regardless, I'm sticking with HS for now. My next unit WILL be a Prism, even if they release a Color Edge. I tend to use my modules frequently (backup module, wireless modem, landline modem, and now my memplug), so the larger form factor is necessary for my purposes (and I'm NOT giving up my Vaja case, hehe). Plus, I still feel that the SB technology is more flexible than SD.
    -Richard Powell

"Nice guys may finish last, but you know, the company's much better back here."
    And once you add a module to the m505...form factor is gone.
    And once you add a module to the m505...form factor is gone.
    Yeah, but there is a large segment of visor owners who don't own any modules, or just memory ones (backup/8MB/16MB/etc.). You can have those galore and still keep the form factor. If I were going to spend that much on a pda I would have no problem "jumping ship" because the only thing I'm using my visor's expansion abilities for is the backup module.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    gimme a Color Visor edge the features of a Sony Clie N700c and and i'll buy it.
    -Mikedemo
    It's all about how you spend the money.
    The new clie really caught my eyes, I can't say I won't jump ship when its available, but right now I'm pretty happy with my Platinum. One thing I'm sure though, not Edge! The First thing I have against it is there hasn't been any real improvement at all apart from its form factor (I'm not too impressed with that either). The sled is not that good either, if you are gonna use a module, you'll need edge, the cover(I wouldn't go out 'naked' =P ), the sled, the module, Thats four pieces of stuff you'll need to carry around! Whats the point in that? With some oversized modules, you don't really want to keep it in the sled and in the edge when you are not using it; and when you do, the cover is gotta come off, so there is always an extra piece which can be annoying (I'm bothered by those small things cuz I tend to lose them). so basically, what i'm saying is, until HS comes out with something better than the Edge, I probably gonna change to the Clie 700 or m505 (and sell all the SB stuff to my friend who's got a prism =).
    I've been a Handspring user off and on and the form factor of the Palm Vx kept taking me back because of the size of the modem versus a Prism and Springboard Omnisky configuration.

I've ordered the M505 and since Novatel has announced a modem for it then it's a matter of time that I can continue with the Omnisky service, perhaps without interruption.

Handspring is a good company although they have had their hiccups. Palm in my mind, is a better company overall. The advent of a dual port access such as the universal connector and the SD slot is going to drag Handspring down. Even if they could develop something of this nature, just like Palm it would be backwords compatible until the Universal connector.

I'm dissapointed in both companies in modifying their connections but this is part of a problem with technology that we have come to expect. USB on Windows 98+ machines has obsoleted Win95 machines etc.

I'll bite the bullet and hope that my out of pocket expenses don't get any worse, because either way they would if I'd had either platform and wanted an Edge or a M505 - for nothing but the form factor.

Flash ROM is somewhat important and the M505 having 3 types of alarms versus two on the Edge is extremely appealing plus OS 4.0.

Palm definitely, by releasing today, got me to wait and buy the M505.

The point of this post is really to say that: no matter which platform you end up choosing - make a decision and live with it because tomorrow will bring something different.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    The one thing I have noticed with this thread is that most of the people who say they may switch devices, aren't module users...or heavy users. Most people seem to have very little invested in modules.

I have heard a lot of people who mainly use it as a PIM and don't really care about anything other than backup.

The one thing that really appeals to me...is the possibility of having a high resolution screen.

Let me ask this...if form factor is such a concern...and I hear it over and over again...why did anyone here buy the Visor in the first place? The Palm was smaller from the start.
    why buy? 16 months ago, it was the best value....today it is NOT....it is that simple. The springboard was a "potential" back when I bought it back then and couldn't justify buying the gimmick junks that are available right now outside of the backups and memories expansion springboards. Most of the springboards maker and wannabee makers will have a harder time finding customers since both Hanspring and Palm as well as Sonny are jamming more functionalities into the device. For every user that purchased a springboard, there are another 5 that won't. Just look at Visorcentral, over 8000 members and I doubt if you will find 2000 members that own "a" springboard. They should run a survey to dispute my assumption. The one that does own a springboard is likely to own a backup module or some memory modules. There are always one in the crowd that has to have the latest and greatest springboards but we all know that is the exception and not the norm.
    Let me ask this...if form factor is such a concern...and I hear it over and over again...why did anyone here buy the Visor in the first place? The Palm was smaller from the start.

Read my post in 'General Chat' about "Why I like my VDx". Initially, I had dreams of various modules. This is my first PDA and now that i've used it for over a year, I know what I really need my PDA to do.

The Visor had a potential to satisfy those 'module dreams' at first (not to mention the cool blue and clear white case!), but now I have a better grasp of what my PDA requirements are.

As for the Palms being smaller from the beginning....the IIIxe and the Visor Deluxe are essentially the same size (and cost). There was no way I was going to pay for a PalmVx for my first PDA.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
  19. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I may switch, and I'm not a heavy module user. Well, I don't have a lot of modules, but I do use them often. I switched from a Palm III to a Visor Deluxe mostly because I needed more ram. I also wanted a way to backup my handheld when I was away from my computer. Until the m500 series, Visor was the only handheld that could do that. I would have preferred something smaller, but the Visor Deluxe was about the same size as my III so I wasn't losing anything.

I use it as much more than just a PIM, which is one of the main reasons I want extra memory and an ability to back it up.

Honestly, I'm tired of dealing with the Visor cover, having to remove it and snap it onto the back every time. I miss both the flip cover and the backlight from my III.

I'm also interested in a switch to color, but I don't really like the IIIc or Prism screens. I'm hoping the m505 screen looks better, but I won't order one until I've seen one in person.

Like I said in one of these threads, I'd love to buy an Edge if it had a vibrating alarm, color screen and used an SD slot to connect the Springboard sled instead of the "Edge Connector". Since it doesn't, I'll probably switch to an m505 once they're available.
  20. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    One more thing about the m505 that I really like- backlit graffiti area. It can be pretty hard to hit the buttons around the graffiti area in the dark, so I think this is a great improvement.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast