Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Maybe they can pay Jack Black to endorse the phone. Show RIM who is the boss.
    Don't know if you're safe either - can you use the term 'crack' freely or is that patented under 'crackberry' etc ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dalai Lama View Post
    They must be on crack, Jack!
    hard to compare this top the treo......not as feature packed - no LED??!!
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Two questions, no actually three questions.

1, Can you run TomTom or Garmin on it?
    2. Does WM5 has an app like profiles that can turn on and off ringtones at a specific time and at a given day of the week?
    3. How do you compare this to the Q, pros and cons?
    #1 -- I can not get it to install, even with the patch downloaded from TomTom (http://www.tomtom.com/support/soluti...tion&FID=4790). If anyone else figures out a way, please share. If I can't get TomTom on the BlackJack, I'm returning it and keeping the Treo650.

I also can not read any notes from my LotusNotes (these are just text files) when synced to the BlackJack. They are converted to .pwi files (PocketWord?) and the notes application on the BlackJack will not recognize them. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas View Post
    Anyone using the blackjack as tethered modem?
    Yes, works great so far. That was the clincher for why I decided to jump ship from my Treo 650. I have the $19.95 Cingular MediaWorks plan (unlim data) and was tired of paying comcast $45 a month for broadband cable. The speeds are a little slower than cable, but a helluva lot better than EDGE.
    Off to iPhone land...
    4 days into the blackjack, I really want to keep it but the treo 650 is better in so many ways.

pro- size, 3G speed! (getting 500kbps), easily tethered, 1.3megapixel camera, finally excellent bluetooth.

con- battery life is pretty bad. i'll get the extended if I keep it. keypad is not as good as treo, the center dial is not raised so you accidentally hit the wrong button. It's SLOW, there is lag when you click on dialing numbers, opening apps, etc. NO touchscreen = no copy and paste, this is frustrating as hell. Also, no good IM, verichat on palm (i know it's being discontinued) rocked, and I've tried, Agile, oz that it comes with IM+, and even verichat (not good for windows mobile), and I might go back to the treo just for IM. It takes 3 clicks to get to sms, and it's not threaded!

oh yeah, and it's a hack to get google maps going on it, I decided to stick with microsoft Live search which is pretty damn cool.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I have been a PPC user for a very long time and I have now managed to get the Blackjack. I am enjoying every minute of it. I am happily using the device without installing a single application and that is someting I have never been happy doing on any Pocket PC or Palm phone.

A good, simple, reliable profiles application is standard. The web browser is better than the Treo and easier to navigate with one hand than on the PPC phones. The speakerphone is loud and clear on BOTH ends of the line. Signal strength is excellent. Battery life is very good, in fact it is excellent for me, since I have turned off the 3g radio. It lasts for days on one battery. I really like almost everything about this phone. I think many of you would benefit by giving it some serious consideration.

I still want to try out one of the Hermes phones, the 8525 being one version, but I am in no hurry. The Blackjack has been quite impressive so there is not a real reason to change.
    So it's just like the Q, but in black?
    This device has been much better received and reviewed overall than the Q I think ...
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I tried the Q, and also the BlackJack, both to me are similar, and there is a HUGE design flaw to both.
    I use my phone all the time, and one thing that I dial are phone numbers with letters, for example 1-800-blackjack; the Blackjack and the Q do not have dialpad that shows the standard telephone keys, so you have to figure out what letter corresponds to what number on the keypad. Good luck with that.
    actually, you don't have to figure out what letter corresponds. You just need to press shift and the letter and that does it.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Isn't the Blackjack the smartphone that Cingular sells with an extra battery?
    Yes
    Off to iPhone land...
    Longtime Treo owner here, going all the way back to the 180. But lack of a 3G Treo finally prompted me consider alternatives to my current 650.

Well, been using the blackjack for a little under a week now and I'm longing for the 750. There are a number of things I like about it (charges while connected to your computer via USB, size/weight, etc.). But the cons definitely outweigh the pros and I wonder how any serious Treo user could adapt to this thing. Here are my main beefs with the blackjack:

Keyboard - I haven't heard anyone else complain about how the blackjack missses key inputs constantly, so I'm wondering if it's my unit. Even with careful inputting it's missing letters, spaces, etc., causing me to have to constantly go back and edit entries. This absolutely kills the device right there.

Key Layout - Really poorly thought through design work here. Like others, constantly accidentally hitting the wrong keys due to the lack of spacing between them. The keys sandwiched around the five way navigation wheel in particular. This also is a deal killer.

Info Not Copied Over - For example, in the Palm OS Contacts software you can store data in the bottom rows. This will not transfer over to the device. Also, for some reason for one of my contacts the phone category "other" has not ported over.

Dialing problems - I have text after many of my phone numbers, and the phone cannot complete these calls.

Power/On Issues - I haven't figured out a way to access the PDA features without powering up the radio. Does anyone know how to do this? Also, there doesn't appear to be a way to turn the screen power off manually. You have to wait until the time you've set elapses, thereby further draining the battery.

SMS messaging - Didn't realize how spoiled I'd become w/ threaded messaging on the Palm. The 750 has this, and I can't wait to get it back.

Touchscreen - This is one of those things you don't realize how much you miss until you don't have it. I constantly find myself wanting to touch the screen...

Vibrate duration - In silent mode this thing vibrates for like two seconds when text message comes in. Annoyingly long.

No Silent On/Off switch - You'd think this would be a standard feature on most phones, but no.

Flimsy power/USB cover flap - Why does there even need to be a flap here?

Slow - the processor lags. This may even be the reason for the problems I'm experiencing with text input.

No headphone jack

I could go on, but I'll leave it at that.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman View Post
    Keyboard - I haven't heard anyone else complain about how the blackjack missses key inputs constantly, so I'm wondering if it's my unit. Even with careful inputting it's missing letters, spaces, etc., causing me to have to constantly go back and edit entries. This absolutely kills the device right there.

Happens occasionally to me. Not a deal killer alone IMO.

Key Layout - Really poorly thought through design work here. Like others, constantly accidentally hitting the wrong keys due to the lack of spacing between them. The keys sandwiched around the five way navigation wheel in particular. This also is a deal killer.

You get used to the keyboard with time. I remember I felt this way when I first went with the Treo. On the rare occasion this happens to me I just click the back button that is just to the right and it puts me exactly where I was before.

Info Not Copied Over - For example, in the Palm OS Contacts software you can store data in the bottom rows. This will not transfer over to the device. Also, for some reason for one of my contacts the phone category "other" has not ported over.

I think this is a POS to WM OS, not just a Blackjack thing. You'll have the same issue when you go to the 750.

Dialing problems - I have text after many of my phone numbers, and the phone cannot complete these calls.

Don't have this issue as I don't have any text behind my numbers.

Power/On Issues - I haven't figured out a way to access the PDA features without powering up the radio. Does anyone know how to do this? Also, there doesn't appear to be a way to turn the screen power off manually. You have to wait until the time you've set elapses, thereby further draining the battery.

Wireless Manager..............built-in feature.

SMS messaging - Didn't realize how spoiled I'd become w/ threaded messaging on the Palm. The 750 has this, and I can't wait to get it back.

Don't use it that much to need threaded messages but there is a third party program to do this on the WM SP just like on the WM PPC.

Touchscreen - This is one of those things you don't realize how much you miss until you don't have it. I constantly find myself wanting to touch the screen...

One-handed use on my Treo trained me never to touch the screen or use a stylus so it was no issue for me. I was already used to "no touch screen" per se.

Vibrate duration - In silent mode this thing vibrates for like two seconds when text message comes in. Annoyingly long.

True.

No Silent On/Off switch - You'd think this would be a standard feature on most phones, but no.

It is standard on the BJ. Just press and hold the # key.

Flimsy power/USB cover flap - Why does there even need to be a flap here?

If it's flimsy it will fall off and then you won't have a flap on there. If it doesn't (which I hope mine doesn't), it'll keep dust out of my phone.

Slow - the processor lags. This may even be the reason for the problems I'm experiencing with text input.

This has not been my experience at all. It is very responsive IMO.

No headphone jack

It has a headphone jack, just happens to be proprietary (which I can't stand). You can buy an adapter dirt cheap or do as I did and buy the Samsung headphones.

I could go on, but I'll leave it at that.
    Please go on, there might be a few other things you overlooked that actually are built-in. Some are not that obvious and you may have not noticed they were there.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    You can power off the screen by a press and hold of the dedicated mail key at the bottom of the keyboard.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by waynew73 View Post
    actually, you don't have to figure out what letter corresponds. You just need to press shift and the letter and that does it.
    thanks for that tip.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    You can power off the screen by a press and hold of the dedicated mail key at the bottom of the keyboard.
    thanks for your points/tips. through your post and others i found out where i was lacking knowledge. having said that, the blackjack is still going to have to be returned:

i went into a cingular store to see if it was just my blackjack that was having text input issues or it's a problem with blackjacks in general, and on the other blackjack i had the same problem with text entries not being captured. the cingular rep made the comment that i type really fast, and i remember testing my typing speed on the treo to be 35 words per minute. i don't know if that's fast for smartphones or not? but what i do know is that i can't deal with having to go back and edit every single text message or email i type up because the BlackJack can't keep up with my speed. if i only typed one handed this wouldn't be a problem.

it's too bad because there is a lot I like about the blackjack. i love the fact it charges while it's connected to the USB. i don't have any complaints about the battery (although I do spend most of my work week in an EDGE zone). the size/weight are unmatched. but the text entry issue combined with the other well documented shortcomings (key placement, no copy & paste, lag time in everything from pulling up an app to moving around contacts).

so i guess i'm left hoping that the 750 addresses at least 80-90% of my issues as I really do need a 3G device.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    It is standard on the BJ. Just press and hold the # key.
    Good point there...this will come in handy (though the on/off switch is highly missed).

Jlczl, what do you use for alarms other than the built-in alarm? I had gotten real used to treoalarm

Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    The built-in alarm app is what I use. It's not very feature-rich but it does a good job for my needs.

Having had the BlackJack for over a month now, I am still very, very pleased with it. It does everything I want it to do, and more. The small screen has not proven to be a problem as it's resolution is identical to that of my old PPC 6600 whose screen was twice as large. The lack of a touchscreen is a total non-issue. Notice how the Treo affectionados howl about the lack of a touchscreen, and then howl about one-handedness which necessarily requires avoiding toucing the screen. A bit hypocriticial, no?

Anyway, with the extended battery, battery life is not a problem, the thing otherwise works pretty much as I want it to out of the box, unlike anything Palm has ever made. Color me a very satisfied customer.
    http://www.doctordalai.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast