1.    #1  
    It would be interesting to see a tablet-style device from Palm. Imagine a tablet-PC with instant on capability.
    If you have never used a tablet PC, yo are missing something big (literally). It's both a laptop and a palm pilot with a much bigger screen. If you ever used a tablet PC, you would agree that the lack of "instant on" is the killer. Could a Palm OS tablet size device make it is today's economy? What kind of battery would this thing eat through. What key features would it need besides Office, email, IM, WiFi? Compact Flash slot for Wireless broadband card? Would it need a phone (with Bluetooth ear piece as the talk/hear interface) to make it? Is there a market? Or does a tablet device have to have Windoze to make it? Interesting, but could it be successful? What do you think?
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Windows is essential, due to the productivity applications which would drive such a device e.g. Outlook, CRM, vertical medical apps etc.

Unless its meant just as a toy of course...

Surur
    I've always been interested in Tablets, but the form-factor is the problem regarding portability. I guess I would carry it around work with little problem, but what about when you're out after work? Would you bring it to the movies? Mall? Dinner?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice View Post
    It would be interesting to see a tablet-style device from Palm. Imagine a tablet-PC with instant on capability.
    If you have never used a tablet PC, yo are missing something big (literally). It's both a laptop and a palm pilot with a much bigger screen. If you ever used a tablet PC, you would agree that the lack of "instant on" is the killer. Could a Palm OS tablet size device make it is today's economy? What kind of battery would this thing eat through. What key features would it need besides Office, email, IM, WiFi? Compact Flash slot for Wireless broadband card? Would it need a phone (with Bluetooth ear piece as the talk/hear interface) to make it? Is there a market? Or does a tablet device have to have Windoze to make it? Interesting, but could it be successful? What do you think?
    Nokia 770 is pretty much what you are asking for. I miss the keyboard though. If the screen is too small, get the smallest iBook/macBook you can find. It has a nice sleep function which makes it wake up pretty fast.

I want something so small that it can fit a pocket in a jacket, it's gotta have a keyboard, and as much screen as possible.
    Palm tried something similar to this years ago with the Audrey, I think it was called. It was more of a stationary device but larger form-factor - similar to tablets of today. Obviously that wasn't too successful. I think when you get to larger devices, the limitations of the POS would become more apparent. You don't see a lot of Windows tablet devices outside of vertical markets. Given the limited market, I doubt Palm would get into it.
  6. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I think the Audrey was from 3com. it seemed like a cool enough idea, an internet appliance. I actually think it might do better now with wifi. as far as palm getting into that kind of business, I agree that it's probably not something they'd get into in the near future, and definitely not with Frankengarnet.
    If PDA itself is dying, how could tablet success?
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    If PDA itself is dying, how could tablet success?
    I heard that the PDA business is growing and they ship more PDA's than ever before. I think the reason is that people want GPS functionality as well. Or traveling movie watching.
    That's only when you define PDA's to include those devices with phones built in too.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by ion++ View Post
    I heard that the PDA business is growing and they ship more PDA's than ever before. I think the reason is that people want GPS functionality as well. Or traveling movie watching.
    I would definitely expect to be able to watch movies while on the go. Also, it would be great to be able to catch ESPN SportsCenter on the go
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    This is one of those issues where you would be just as well off - no, make that better off - just going with the tablet running full-fledged Windows XP for Tablet. Your instant-on options with XP-Tablet are restarting from either standby (if you are going meeting-to-meeting, room-to-room) or Hibernate, which takes just a bit longer. Frankly, I'd rather boot from Hibernation and wait fifteen seconds to access a robust OS than have instant on capability of a PDA with a larger screen.