Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First – I will briefly explain that I was – effectively - forced to switch from a Treo 700p to the Motorola Q for financial reasons. Last month I shorted out my company-issued Treo while on a water ride at Disney’s Animal Kingdom (Kali River Rapids for those following along at home). Because my Treo was less than six months old, and I did not have insurance (ouch!), I was quoted the nearly full replacement price of $419 for another 700p. My other option was a Motorola Q for $99. So – based largely on the fact that I wasn’t going to spend $400+ of my OWN money on another Treo, I went for the Q instead – I figured that it would be an interesting learning experience AND put a smile on Surur’s face.

This is my first Windows-based device since I went through a couple of HP Jornadas running PPC and CE in 2003. Since then I have had a Clie PEG-J27, a Treo 650, and the ill-fated Treo 700p.

I have gone a week now with the Q and have a few observations:

The Good:

Form Factor – it’s incredible. The Q is actually smaller than my Clie in both size and weight. Unlike the Treo, it fits inobtrusively into the pocket of a dress shirt. The keyboard is fine – objectively speaking it is no better, or worse than the Treo. The button layout is a little funky, but even Palm can’t stick to a standard layout in their own product-line so that is to be expected.

The connector – it uses a standard mini USB connector. Freakin’ hallelujah! I actually have several of these just laying around. The phone charges either over the USB, or with a wall plug in.

Call quality – this phone has the best call quality of any phone – smart or not – since the LG 4400 I had five years ago. It is outstanding – louder and clearer than the Treo.

The screen – it’s crisp, clear and has that bullet-proof feel you can only get from a non-touch screen.

Overall speed – the overall speed is excellent. It is very responsive and uses the EVDO network, so web access is snappy. From a nontechnical standpoint it seems just as fast to me as the 700p.

Browsing – Internet Explorer renders pages better than Blazer. It also does a much better job of cookie management – Blazer was always dropping my cookies, or requiring me to sign in to secure websites over and over again. Its much easier accessing my corporate network mail server over IE on my Q as it allows me to blow right through two separate logins.

The Thumbwheel – I like a thumbwheel with click to activate motion.

A really powerful back button – right next to the five way navigator is a backward pointing arrow that (most of the time) backs you up one screen each time you press it. I like it – I like it a lot.

The Bad

No touch screen – I love a touchscreen, but I am here to tell you that you almost don’t miss it. Almost. There are still times I find myself wanting to hit a slider with my fingernail. But it’s not as difficult or frustrating as a veteran Treo/Palm user might fear.

No Software – after getting assurances here and from other forums that there is as much or even more software available for Windows Mobile as Palm, I have to say that I am very disappointed. There is a lot of Windows software out there for PPC and CE that won’t load on a WM5 device. I haven’t found a Tide Tool program that is FREE and that will actually run on WM5. Nor have I found the equivalent of Flight Status. It’s still the same as when I was using Jornadas a few years ago – with a few exceptions (TCMP, which I still can’t make run on the Q, and Avantgo which renders and navigates better on the Q than on the Treo) the free stuff that is out there is cheesed and the interesting stuff is between $9.99 and $24.99. Palm and Windows are different paradigms from a software development and distribution standpoint.

Email setup – once it is up on the Q, it is fine. But with my Treo I was able to set up my corporate email on my own. With the Q I had to have IT come down to set it up – and it took them a good twenty minutes.

Bluetooth – just like with the Treo, the Bluetooth implementation is spotty. My Treo recognized my Garmin GPS10 with no problem, the Q recognizes it but locks up between pairing and software launch (apparently a known problem). It “sees” my tablet PC and will send it files, but for some reason won’t Activesync over Bluetooth. Suffice it to say – Bluetooth on handheld products STILL leaves a lot to be desired. Treo users are not alone.

Camera – the camera quality is worse on the Q, though the megapixels are the same as with the 700p. The photo management software and integration into the phone is worse too. Its not very intuitive, atleast not that I have discovered yet.

Battery Life – Running on a standard battery, the battery life is pretty sketchy. As a power user I’d say that the Q is probably a little worse on battery life than the 700p, owing in large part to only having an 1130 mAh battery.

In summation, and at this point I would have to say that if someone wanted to GIVE me a 700p, I’d go back. But I have a 650 in my drawer, and I am not tempted to go back to that. I like my EVDO access. I love the small size and the call clarity. And I also love that there is no SMS lockup!

Stay tuned!
    Nice review. Very good observations.
    From the sound of it for $99.00 you can't beat it.
    so you would prefer a 700P over the 650, just for EVDO?

Since Palm is now phasing out/stopped selling the 650, I have been hesitant to move to a700P until the reported problems are solved. But you would prefer the 700P, so it worked well for you when you had it?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    My700P is perfect, I love it. Would not trade it for anything.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    The Sprint Q will be perfect for my wife. Thinner than the treo, qwerty email, Activesync OTA with Exchange, and a great look to boot. The Treo is just too big.
    BB GoAmerica > BB Earthlink > Verizon Treo 600 > Sprint Treo 650 > Sprint Treo 700p > Sprint Treo 755p & Sprint MotoQ
    Just wanted to point out that the software issue you are facing is because the Q uses WM5 Smartphone Editon....combined with the fact that it has a 320x240 screen instead of the 240x320 most developers create for and you are in quite a tight corner!
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    good write up Keefer. I also have a 650 that I want to upgrade in the next few months - I am looking at the 700p and wx, but since Sprint is getting the Q, I have started looking at it also. The phone is still the most important thing to me, then Outlook sync, email, SMS and then the web. I do like some of the programs I have on my 650 (Butler and Phone Technician are two I love), but most I could live without. I'll just wait to see what might be different with the Sprint Q (if anything).
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    I do like some of the programs I have on my 650 (Butler and Phone Technician are two I love), but most I could live without. I'll just wait to see what might be different with the Sprint Q (if anything).
    I'm not sure about Phone Technician or what it does but phoneAlarm from pocketmax just released a smartphone version (Q, blackjack..) and that's the equivalent of Butler.

Based on your requirements, i think the Q will be ok for you. I'm on the 700wx, but I too am considering trying it out too when it becomes available.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    I'm not sure about Phone Technician or what it does but phoneAlarm from pocketmax just released a smartphone version (Q, blackjack..) and that's the equivalent of Butler.

Based on your requirements, i think the Q will be ok for you. I'm on the 700wx, but I too am considering trying it out too when it becomes available.
    g - thanks for the reply - I had heard about PhoneAlarm and figured that would be a required program for me if I looked at a WM5 device. I speak to Malatesta a bit here and there, so I have good guidance! I'll look forward to at least test driving the Q once it hits Sprint.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    so you would prefer a 700P over the 650, just for EVDO?

Since Palm is now phasing out/stopped selling the 650, I have been hesitant to move to a700P until the reported problems are solved. But you would prefer the 700P, so it worked well for you when you had it?
    Yes, having the EVDO is a major consideration - faster network applications and a whole slew of media content is available over the EVDO network. Having EVDO also means the lifespan (sans water rides) will be longer than the non-EVDO Treo 650 or 680. You probably won't want to be surfing this forum with a two year old 650/680 reading about all the cool things that work over EVDO and not on the slower 1x network.

I would prefer the 700p over the Q - I just prefer the Palm OS to WM5. But my point in writing the review was that, as a Palm loyalist, there ARE some neat things about the Q, and few advantages over the Treo. One of the most important of which is the stellar call quality. Consider this - I can simply clip the Q onto the visor in my SUV and use it handsfree with no headset, no Bluetooth, no nuthin. Operating system issues aside, the Q is a much better phone than the Treo.
    In general, I am noticing more dropped calls on my 650 than I ever have before with my LG and/or Sanyo phones. Call quality are most important to me (I am a sales guy) - having email and Outlook are also - but I can live without all of the other stuff that comes with the 650 if I had to. Thanks again, Keefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    I figured that it would be an interesting learning experience AND put a smile on Surur’s face.
    Hey I'm smiling

The rise of the WM Smartphone has been rather strange and unexpected. I never thought the more limited smartphone OS would become the focus of so much marketing push (Cingular Blackjack, T-Mobile Dash, Moto Q) while still having less built-in functionality than the PocketPC OS. It goes to show that we don't understand the market the OEM's are gunning for. Certainly the 3rd party software market has not been ready for this, hence the lack of software. This is already rapidly changing however, but niche software like tide predictors will probably a long time coming.

Surur
  14.    #14  
    I won't be buying a MiniSD WiFi card Surur. But I could
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    Hey I'm smiling

The rise of the WM Smartphone has been rather strange and unexpected.
    Surur
    so true, good thing too. it will make devs become more resolution independent & also will force them to make their apps more one handed.
  16.    #16  
    I do have to say that the standard battery that comes with the Q is rather puny - atleast with the Treo the extended life Seidio battery fits within the existing space-parameters, unlike the Q extended battery which is considerably thicker and requires a special cover with a camel hump on it.
    most definately agree with Keefer and was happy to read about his observations. good to see Surur still enjoying his.

Keefer, the only surprise was that of the battery. I was using goodlink on both my Treo 700w (device prior to switching to the Q) and Moto-Q and found my battery life to actually exceed that of the Treo's. Regardless, spot on review (i had reviewed the Q on this board at product inception and had many doubters as always, now seeing followers/believers) and right on regarding the phone (best in biz, loud and clear). I too wasn't much for the watered-down version of WM5 but it definately does the trick and will be more than ample for many users out there. size opens eyes.....

regards
    I thought you were using the Pearl?

I am seriously considering the black Q released today. I prefer Palm OS but love the 750 form factor. But I'm finding the Cingular data network really unreliable. Most of the time it connects but can't transfer the data, I have to disconnect and try one or two times more to get it work.

I tried the Q when it first came out but decided to go with the 700p. But after several months of lags, bluetooth problems, and no update from Palm gave up. Verizon now supports the Q as a modem (it didn't when first released) and I know it worked with the bluetooth on my car when I tried it months ago (which the 750v has fits with). The new black soft touch coating sounds alot like the one the 750v that I love.

Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    most definately agree with Keefer and was happy to read about his observations. good to see Surur still enjoying his.

Keefer, the only surprise was that of the battery. I was using goodlink on both my Treo 700w (device prior to switching to the Q) and Moto-Q and found my battery life to actually exceed that of the Treo's. Regardless, spot on review (i had reviewed the Q on this board at product inception and had many doubters as always, now seeing followers/believers) and right on regarding the phone (best in biz, loud and clear). I too wasn't much for the watered-down version of WM5 but it definately does the trick and will be more than ample for many users out there. size opens eyes.....

regards
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Brian - Verizon's data plans (@$45) are killer though compared to Sprint aren't they?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    Keefer, the only surprise was that of the battery. I was using goodlink on both my Treo 700w (device prior to switching to the Q) and Moto-Q and found my battery life to actually exceed that of the Treo's.
    Two weeks into my experience I won't suggest that the Q's battery is any better or any worse than the Treo's - the Q may, in fact, be a little better than my 700p with the standard battery. I am an intensive user of my devices - sometimes I will stand in my booth at an empty tradeshow and pound out text messages and surf the web continually - my Q is only good for a couple of hours of that -my Treo with an extended battery would last twice as long.

Battery rebound also effects the Q tremendously - I will make a call, talk for ten or fifteen minutes then look down to see that my battery is at 60% and think "Wow, I really need that extended battery". Then, a few minutes later without using the phone, the battery will "rebound" back to 90%.

The only thing that I really don't like about the Q is the integration of the camera - its really rather byzantine. The Q puts the onscreen viewfinder into a tiny little box in the middle of the 240x320 screen. Compared to the Treo, using the Q to take and send photos or video snippets is a pain.

But I will take the voice dialing, call, and signal quality of the Q over the Treo 700p any day. I also really like having the headset jack at the TOP of the phone, where it belongs.
    Last edited by Keefer Lucas; 12/12/2006 at 04:17 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast