Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been using Palm since the original Visor. Currently on a 650 in need of upgrading badly.

The new Samsung/Cingular Black Jack ( http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-s..._sku=sku300002 ) is an amazing little phone. It runs MS Smartphone 5, but its size, shape, and coolness is awesome. A couple of my friends got it already (they like them a lot), and I have played with them, and they are the slickest, most well equipped MS smartphone I've seen. Half the thickness of my Treo, and only $150 after rebates right now.

Here you go: Talk me out of switching. Point out to me what I would be going without. Tell me what I would miss. Or just tell me what I would gain by dumping the Palm Treo.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    No touchscreen is good enought reason for me to stay away.
    Tell us what you like about your current Treo and how you use it. That will help to determine if the BlackJack is a good fit for you.
  4.    #4  
    @webdave... I would miss the touchscreen for sure. However, my most common use for the touchscreen was to quicktap the buttons at the bottom of the screen with my thumb, to speed up navigation. I go weeks without pulling out the stylus.

@MarkY... I use my Treo as (in approximate order of importance) a phone, contact manager, appointment and task reminder/manager, alarm clock, SMS sender, email client, calculator, password keeper, and mobile IM client. I never really use the camera, internet, or Documents to Go, because they work so poorly on the 650. I have an Ipod, so I never listen to music on it.
    Last edited by mtt; 12/04/2006 at 10:25 AM.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    I see no reason not to get the Blackjack. I've heard nothing but great things about it and I think it'll fit your needs very well (plus now you could use a Slingbox! lol )

No touchscreen? eh, no biggy. It has a nice processor, great little screen is thin and powerful plus up-to-date (AKU 3.0 on there).

I'd get one if it was on Sprint.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtt View Post
    I use my Treo as (in approximate order of importance) a phone, contact manager, appointment and task reminder/manager, alarm clock, SMS sender, email client, calculator, password keeper, and mobile IM client. I never really use the camera, internet, or Documents to Go, because they work so poorly on the 650. I have an Ipod, so I never listen to music on it.
    Sounds like the BlackJack could very well be a good fit for you.
    Heard the battery life is pretty poor, no touchscreen would be a deal breaker for me as well (amazing how often I use my thumbnail on my screen protector and don't think twice about it).
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Poor battery and no touch screen, no deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Heard the battery life is pretty poor...
    It's okay. I mean it has a 1200 battery which is small, yet they give you two out of the box. Just use PhoneAlarm to change your screen brightness on profile changes and keep it low while inside. You can also force off HSDPA if you don't need it which saves mad battery life. Finally, you can pick up an extended 1800mah battery:
    http://www.phonecycle.com/batteries/...820&brandid=13

Also, lets remember: this thread is about what the OP wants, not what YOU would want or use. Clearly he/she has no problem with 'no touchscreen' so I think we can stop mentioning it! lol
    Last edited by Malatesta; 12/04/2006 at 11:03 AM.

Why do you need us to talk you in to anything? Why not try the Blackjack and the Treo 750. Both have the same OS. Just see which you like better.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I currently went from the Treo 600 to the BlackJack.
    Nice phone, thin, cool etc.
    I also have no need for music, videos etc, but
    I need to run GoodLink for work.
    Since I have had the BlackJack I have had memory isuues with it after only an hour or two and a sync.
    This is the only 3rd party app I have put on it.
    Samsung says it's GL problem, GL says it's theirs. Cingular is of no help.
    I sync with Outlook.

Besides this major issue for me, this phone being WM5 ansd not PPC is the turnoff. No cut and paste (or at least none with out 3rd part app)
    It's lack of a touch screen is something I miss but have resigned myself to accepting.
    Another issue is the way I have used my 600 POS.
    I found it quite convienent to go to contacts, type 2 letters, one for first name and one for second. Find the contact or small selection that fit the citeria. Select it and dial. All one handed.
    This seems to not be possible with the Blackjack or maybe with WM5.
    I'm not sure, but given my GL issue, the phone is going back and a 750 (hopefully) is what I will get in the next week or 2.
    Any longer and a 680 may need to be the option.
    3G would be nice to have though.
    Until now back to the 600 and the Razr combo.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
    Why do you need us to talk you in to anything? Why not try the Blackjack and the Treo 750. Both have the same OS. Just see which you like better.
    Actually I am more attached to the PalmOS then anything. I have a bit of time & money invested in programs to make it do it just what I want, and am very used to it. I don't really want to go to MS. I have not liked using their previous phones, especially not any of the HTC bricks that my current carrier offers.

So far no deal-killers or drawbacks, that I haven't already considered, have been brought up here.

Are there any good forums roughly equivalent to Treocentral or mytreo.net that specialize in MS smartphones? I could post there; "I am thinking of switching from a Treo to a BlackJack, tell me why I should!"
    MTT
    Quote Originally Posted by mtt View Post
    Are there any good forums roughly equivalent to Treocentral or mytreo.net that specialize in MS smartphones? I could post there; "I am thinking of switching from a Treo to a BlackJack, tell me why I should!"
    I'm not a big authority, but try here, http://www.qusers.com/
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I spent an hour evaluating the Samsung Blackjack from Cingular this past Saturday. A co-worker just bought one and being he is a first time smartphone user, he had several questions about it. ( He bought it because it has a thin form factor. )

Yeah, while it's not that complicated of an OS to learn, I still felt it's less intuitive in navigating through the menu system. And while navigating using that 4 way button with the ok button in the center, I thought that the 4 way was too flush with the rest of the phone resulting in less than speedy presses. I also thought the home, 2 soft keys, and the back button were too close together. The qwerty felt okay to use though. It's definitely a featured rich phone like true 3G, a decent camera, and BT 2.0 with A2DP/AVRC. But the button placement and spacing of the aforementioned keys didn't suit my tastes.

So, the one point I guess about this post is the fact that while our little Treo 650's are becoming " aged, " they still have that perfect layout to navigate through the OS and to " get stuff done. " And the Blackjack, well, could still be designed a bit better from a hardware standpoint. This is just my opinion.
    HP Pre 3 16GB AT&T
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by bg1260 View Post
    No cut and paste (or at least none with out 3rd part app)
    Can't you just hold down the center button to cut and paste? At least that how it works on the PPC edition, not sure about smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2
    So, the one point I guess about this post is the fact that while our little Treo 650's are becoming " aged, " they still have that perfect layout to navigate through the OS and to " get stuff done
    I understand what you are saying but I think this has to do with what you know vs. what is new to you. Only b/c I've been a long time Win Mobile users (Dell X5 days) and I bought a 650 last year and used it for 6 months. I certainly didn't find anything intuitive about it, in fact that's why I joined here in the 1st place to learn about it e.g. where are program files? how to I put apps on a storage card? How do I change this and that...etc. Not that it was hard but it was certainly very different for me and frustrating at times!

So while your experience is certainly accurate I'm not so sure it's an OS issue per se.

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Went from 650 to the blackjack and the only thing I really miss is the mute button on top of the treo. Touchscreen is overrated in my opinon, I thought I would miss it, but navigation keys and shortcuts make it a feature that I do not miss. The call quality is much better than the treo, 3G is fast (do not rely on the maps for coverage areas as the maps are outdated and I have coverage even though the maps show no coverage close). Form factor is great, it goes in my pocket and I forget it is there, bluetooth has been great out of the box. One handed operation is a snap, dare I say even better than the 650 as evidenced by everyone who complains about no touch screen since a lot of times the touch screen requires two hands (one to hold the brick and one to touch the screen). I forgot, what does it feel like when your phone goes into a reset while trying to send a message or make a call?

Each person has to use both and determine which is best for you.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Does Blackjack have an unlocked version?
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    [QUOTE=cardio;1141382], 3G is fast

Cardio -Does 3G Need anew SiM Cad? I have ATT siM.
    CNG ATTWS Treo650
    Touch-screen is very useful in playing games. No kidding .. that's how I pass time in the waiting rooms or while the wife is in the shopping mall ..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Playcentric;1141395]
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio View Post
    , 3G is fast

Cardio -Does 3G Need anew SiM Cad? I have ATT siM.
    Yes, you need a 3G SIM card. Cingular will provide the 3G SIM if you upgrade, some have said they were able to get a 3G card just by asking at their local store, don't know the details. The 3G card does work in my 650, but does not make it a 3G device.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast