Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have been a Palm Loyalist for almost a decade, and last month switched from the 700p to the Moto Q. If they were GIVING away the 700p I would take another, but given the cost difference ($99 vs $419 for me), I couldn't cost-justify the difference. The 680 is half the cost of the 700p but doesn't have EVDO access, which - once you have had it - you ain't going back. I am here to say that a power Palm user can be happy on WM5.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Heard the battery life is pretty poor, no touchscreen would be a deal breaker for me as well (amazing how often I use my thumbnail on my screen protector and don't think twice about it).

Well, with more and more reports of crappy battery on the 680 looks like Samsung did the smart thing with 2 batteries in the box, Palm should learn a few things from others. People have to realize that a smaller device means smaller battery which in turn means shorter battery life, I have not found the need, nor do I have the desire to put one of those after-market hump-back extended life batteries and new door on a device that uses small size as a selling point.

I used the 650 since it was available on cingular, now 2 weeks with the Blackjack and I am very happy with the device. It is not perfect, it is not a Treo killer, but it will cause many to leave Palm until they decide to provide real upgrades to their device (better camera, Wi-Fi or 3G, current Bluetooth technology, decent stereo headphone jack, etc) at a reasonable price point.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Well,

I tried the blackjack for about a week and while the phone portion its self was fantastic with excellent volume and clarity, the pda side was just sorely lacking for me.

One thing that I couldnt figure out that drove me insane was a simple way to delete groups of emails and not an entire box. I could not figure out a way to select an email and scroll to grab a group and delete, instead I was only able to delete one email at a time.

For some this may be fine, but I get around 75-100+ emails daily so having to manually delete 100 emails one by one each day is cumbersome. Another thing I couldnt get to work which works perfect in the PPC edition is to have multiple mailboxes and not just folders. As an example in PPC I have 7 accounts all with their own sent, received, deleted etc etc while on the PPC its one giant mess of emails from various accounts.

In addition tasks are a tad of an pita. Basically tasks do not show on the today screen, instead you need to dive a few menues down to get to your tasks, its just overly time consuming when your on the go and need to remind yourself of something you wanted to accomplish.

As for battery life, the first 2 days were horrid, the third onward were actually fine with one condition, no phone calls. If you just get data you can last an entire day and be about 15-20% by midnight, but...... If you make one phone call that extends longer than 15 minutes you will run out of gas quickly, lets not even get started about throwing a BT connection into the mix with the above described.

Touch screen is not a must have but surely a nice extra for me, once switching to the 8525 I was really supprised at how much I ue my thumbnail to click into various emails or accounts or just click and drag then hold and tap to delete emails.

Overall the blackjack is a pretty great device for some, but imo it should be viewed as a phone that has the ability to double as a PDA, I think the intended audience is 1st time data phone users not business minded folks that need a more robust experience.

And now for the final blow to me and sure this is silly, but hey at least I am being honest lol.

The Blackjack is this months "Me too" phone, while I was in the store returning mine and getting my 8525 I had been waiting for I kid you not every one from teenagers to older folks were all standing there with Blackjacks, it was like every one in the store was standing there looking at their cool new toy.

So basically its all about... " Hey you have a Blackjack? Yea me too! "....

I am really looking forwards to seeing the 750. Hopefully it will be for sale before my 30 days with my 8525 runs out hehe.

Thats enough rambling lol.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfla_tc View Post
    Well,
    I tried the blackjack for about a week and while the phone portion its self was fantastic with excellent volume and clarity, the pda side was just sorely lacking for me.

One thing that I couldnt figure out that drove me insane was a simple way to delete groups of emails and not an entire box. I could not figure out a way to select an email and scroll to grab a group and delete, instead I was only able to delete one email at a time.
    Ugh, that doesn't sound like a good experience at all. I get a lot of work & personal email too.

In addition tasks are a tad of an pita. Basically tasks do not show on the today screen, instead you need to dive a few menues down to get to your tasks, its just overly time consuming when your on the go and need to remind yourself of something you wanted to accomplish.
    That's pretty bad. Maybe there's a third-party solution? I read something about a customizable menu.

As for battery life, the first 2 days were horrid, the third onward were actually fine with one condition, no phone calls. If you just get data you can last an entire day and be about 15-20% by midnight, but...... If you make one phone call that extends longer than 15 minutes you will run out of gas quickly, lets not even get started about throwing a BT connection into the mix with the above described.
    I guess if you're disciplined and ready with that 2nd battery, you may be able to make it through one day. Or, buy a third battery?

I am really looking forwards to seeing the 750. Hopefully it will be for sale before my 30 days with my 8525 runs out hehe.

Thats enough rambling lol.

Cheers!
    I would really love to hear your opinioin of the 8525 since I, too, have Cingular.
    Thanks for the review!
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Off to iPhone land...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123