Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Touch-screen is very useful in playing games. No kidding .. that's how I pass time in the waiting rooms or while the wife is in the shopping mall ..
    Yes, some games are better with touchscreen, would I complain if it had one? Absolutely not, but it was not a deal breaker for me, I have lots of games that are controlled by the navigation keys.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    I considered the blackjack..but found the screen size smaller than the 680..
    I personally like the feel of the 680 over my 650..
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Malatesta :

I understand what you are saying but I think this has to do with what you know vs. what is new to you. Only b/c I've been a long time Win Mobile users (Dell X5 days) and I bought a 650 last year and used it for 6 months. I certainly didn't find anything intuitive about it, in fact that's why I joined here in the 1st place to learn about it e.g. where are program files? how to I put apps on a storage card? How do I change this and that...etc. Not that it was hard but it was certainly very different for me and frustrating at times!

So while your experience is certainly accurate I'm not so sure it's an OS issue per se.[/QUOTE]

Let me make my point a bit clearer. The original poster mtt has a longtime use of the Palm OS is now thinking about going from the Palm OS to a WM OS. So in that regard I should have been clearer about the intuitveness of navigating through a new and different OS. Yes, in my case it's a matter of what is new to me versus what I know and this was my view of going from Palm OS to WM OS. And I'm sure this is the view of others here as has been posted on these forums. Yes, a new OS has a learning curve. Whether mtt will like WM better or not and whether mtt finds it more intuitive or not is for mtt to decide. I wasn't trying to talk mtt out of the Blackjack and I wasn't trying to persuade mtt from moving to WM. My big issue with the Blackjack was the hardware aspect of the navigation keys as well as the home, 2 soft keys, and the back key and that they are essentially flush with the rest of the phone which in my experience seem to make navigation slower. With the hardware design of the 650, the 5 way and hard keys are designed very well in my opinion which lets you navigate very quickly through the phone. I hope I was a bit more clear.
    Last edited by ehosey2; 12/04/2006 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Accidently ommitted original poster of quote.
    HP Pre 3 16GB AT&T
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Playcentric View Post
    Does Blackjack have an unlocked version?
    yes, it is the samsung i320 and it is my current phone until UPS gets to the door with my 680

re: to treo or to blackjack
    i have had the i320 for four months. it is not intuitive at all (I am just not a fan of WM); in addition it takes forever to get to certain screens in order to change settings, etc. Plus, mine has "crashed" at least once every couple of days and i have NO third party apps. I got the phone b/c i didnt want a blackberry and it was small and thin and cute.

that said, i am glad the 680 is coming out because i miss being able to get to things quickly and having lots of prod. apps to use. and yes, you will miss the touchscreen!!!

battery life sucks (which is probably why they give you two!) but i will say that call quality is pretty good. you can also sync with outlook but the software had bugs - it took a while for me to get it working

finally, if you have remotely large hands, test it out for a while. I have small girl hands and writing long-ish texts or emails was troubling... keyboard is cramped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Also, lets remember: this thread is about what the OP wants, not what YOU would want or use. Clearly he/she has no problem with 'no touchscreen' so I think we can stop mentioning it! lol
    Puleez! We all know the universe revolves around ME and my farts don't stink.
    I tried the Dash for a while and went back to the 650. You really have to try WM Smartphone to see if it works for you. Tasks are profoundly crippled IMO. But other PIM modules are fabulous.

Take a Blackjack out on a test drive to see if it works for you.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gina77 View Post
    yes, it is the samsung i320 and it is my current phone until UPS gets to the door with my 680

re: to treo or to blackjack
    i have had the i320 for four months. it is not intuitive at all (I am just not a fan of WM); in addition it takes forever to get to certain screens in order to change settings, etc. Plus, mine has "crashed" at least once every couple of days and i have NO third party apps. I got the phone b/c i didnt want a blackberry and it was small and thin and cute.

that said, i am glad the 680 is coming out because i miss being able to get to things quickly and having lots of prod. apps to use. and yes, you will miss the touchscreen!!!

battery life sucks (which is probably why they give you two!) but i will say that call quality is pretty good. you can also sync with outlook but the software had bugs - it took a while for me to get it working

finally, if you have remotely large hands, test it out for a while. I have small girl hands and writing long-ish texts or emails was troubling... keyboard is cramped.
    How long did it take you to "miss the touchscreen"? I have had the Blackjack for a little over a week and I do not miss the the touchscreen at all yet. The navigation pad and scroll wheel on the side eliminated the need for me to use the touchscreen.

No crashes with several 3rd party apps running (could not say that with the Treo).

Battery life, I have about 40% when I plug it in at night, have not run out during the day yet and I am a pretty heavy user, not much different than I had on the 650.

One handed texting is a breeze for me.

A tip on holding down the # key to go to silent mode removes my missing the mute key on top of the Treo.

Do you multi-task on the device? Much easier on the Blackjack, no loss of internet when a call comes in, jump back and forth between calls and music, move from app to app without losing data.

I am holding on to my 650 just in case, but it is in the desk drawer for now.

All that being said, you have to try it out to see how you like it. Do not let me or anyone else sell you what they like.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bg1260 View Post
    I currently went from the Treo 600 to the BlackJack.
    Nice phone, thin, cool etc.
    I also have no need for music, videos etc, but
    I need to run GoodLink for work.
    Since I have had the BlackJack I have had memory isuues with it after only an hour or two and a sync.
    This is the only 3rd party app I have put on it.
    Samsung says it's GL problem, GL says it's theirs. Cingular is of no help.
    I sync with Outlook.

Besides this major issue for me, this phone being WM5 ansd not PPC is the turnoff. No cut and paste (or at least none with out 3rd part app)
    It's lack of a touch screen is something I miss but have resigned myself to accepting.
    Another issue is the way I have used my 600 POS.
    I found it quite convienent to go to contacts, type 2 letters, one for first name and one for second. Find the contact or small selection that fit the citeria. Select it and dial. All one handed.
    This seems to not be possible with the Blackjack or maybe with WM5.
    I'm not sure, but given my GL issue, the phone is going back and a 750 (hopefully) is what I will get in the next week or 2.
    Any longer and a 680 may need to be the option.
    3G would be nice to have though.
    Until now back to the 600 and the Razr combo.
    You can select contacts, type in first couple of letters, brings up list that match, select the one you want, and then select call cell, call work, call home, e-mail, text message or whatever else is in the address. You can also select contacts and hold down the down arrow on the navigation pad and after a couple of seconds the first letter start scrolling by and you can stop on any letter to that section of the contacts list.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Yes I know this works but I have over 2500 contacts.
    I haven't tried searching by last name though. I may give that a try.
    Only problem is again, number of contacts.
    With the way the Treo worked there was much less search results that contained both criteria
  10.    #30  
    Some replies back... my understanding is the BlackJack comes with both an improved/bundle 3rd party tasks app & search, to make up for shortcomings in the regular MS OS.

It also has an extra quicklaunch tied to the scroll wheel, to help make it possible to open key apps faster, rather then use the stupid pathetic retarded (I could continue) "start" menu, and then hit more 3 times.

All in all, the BlackJack seemed MUCH better thought out and equipped then any MS smartphone I had used before. Does anyone know, will it be possible to upgrade the OS later on (service packs, etc) and does Opera run well enough to use as the primary browser?

Is Cingular selling the 680 in stores yet? I would like to check out one of these also.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    Then try the Treo 750. MS and Palm have done some tweaks to the OS. That is what is raved about on several websites around the world.

I would say the Treo 750 is better equiped then the Blackjak. However I am a little bit byous because I am useng the 750.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtt View Post
    Some replies back... my understanding is the BlackJack comes with both an improved/bundle 3rd party tasks app & search, to make up for shortcomings in the regular MS OS.

It also has an extra quicklaunch tied to the scroll wheel, to help make it possible to open key apps faster, rather then use the stupid pathetic retarded (I could continue) "start" menu, and then hit more 3 times.

All in all, the BlackJack seemed MUCH better thought out and equipped then any MS smartphone I had used before. Does anyone know, will it be possible to upgrade the OS later on (service packs, etc) and does Opera run well enough to use as the primary browser?

Is Cingular selling the 680 in stores yet? I would like to check out one of these also.
    I hope so because I can't deal with Smartphone WM until it improves!

I think it depends on how fast the stores in your area got them in, some have gotten their 680. I think you'd be better off with an unlocked one. Seems Cingular might have crippled some stuff on their's.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. dwg
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Nowadays, I would not buy a smart phone without first knowing there is at least one quality community out there that has a focus on the particular device. Especially if one is new to Windows Mobile (as I am). There is simply too much WM stuff out there to digest without having some sense that it is relevant.

I would rather have a phone that is twice as thick.
  14.    #34  
    Yeah well I went and played with the BlackJack again. I still love the phone. I still think I can live with the software, and it seems like there are a lot of good things about it.

I also played with the 680. The new phone screen is great. The buttons & 5-way are really nice. However, the unit feels really thick... not thinner than the 650, just more rounded.

However, Cingular's data plan is extremely expensive, and I wasn't completely impressed with some other aspects of their service. So no new phone yet.
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave View Post
    No touchscreen is good enought reason for me to stay away.
    Ditto. That alone pushed me to the 8525.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    I'll tell you this, if you are used to the Palm PIM apps, you are gonna hate any windows mobile device. (I love my 700p, but also own a 700w).

The lack of a touch screen may or may not be a big deal. On the Q navigation was horrid. Samsung may have done something to make it a less convoluted process.

Here is what I would do. Try the Blackjack or 750 for three weeks, if you don't like it, you can always return it and get a 700p from Sprint, which is what I have done. (I kept the 700w, so I could play with Windows mobile).
    The unlocked Blackjack is the Samsung SGH-i607, which has WIFI and a VGA video conferencing camera in addition to HSDPA.

Surur
  18. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    After 2-3 years of using Treo 600 then Treo 650 I have been trying out the blackjack for the last few weeks. Bottom-line: I really like it. I won't repeat all the points that cardio made and I agree with his points.

The change in the OS took a few days to learn but now with speed dial (works on apps, urls, etc.), the scroll wheel and all the other little tricks I can navagate as fast (or faster in some cases) than with my Treo. There are a few navigation areas where Palm is better but net/net each work equally well.

The blackjack is definitely a better phone (sound quality, basic profiles, etc.) than the Treo 650.

The blackjack screen is really bright and clear. It is crisper but smaller than the Treo 650 and certainly better than the Treo 700w 240x240.

I don't like the proprietary charge/headphone jack. I still need to try some bluetooth stereo headsets.

No resets even though I have lots of 3rd party apps loaded.

If you don't need a touch screen or need to edit a word document then the blackjack is worth a try.

Quite frankly when I read about the Hollywood Treo rumors I expected something like the blackjack form factor vs Treo 750. I am not trying to bash Palm (I have been a loyal customer for years) but I would like to see some better and quicker innovation. I will stay with the blackjack until the next, best thing comes along.
    I've played with both the 8525 and the Treo 750v...

I have not tried the Blackjack. The 8525 seems to have everything you describe as being an asset in the Blackjack PLUS a touchscreen. It isn't super slim though and it doesn't have the one handedness of the Blackjack. The 750 has the touchscreen AND the one handedness but it doesn't have the scroll wheel if that's what you're looking for.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    I've tried the Dash and the Q, and although the form factor are nice, I too take issue with the OS. my biggest complaint was the lack of ability to create a meeting request. you could download the GAL piece, but it didn't make it all that easy and useable. I still cannot figure out why Microsoft did not atleast make the smartphone edition of Poutlook to be as feature-rich as the PPC Phone edition. I understand that Smartphone is supposed to be a "lesser" OS, but how do you expect to have it compete with blackberry if you don't atleast have an equally capable Pocket Outlook. if nothing else, that should be there.

On a side note, I went into the Palm Store at Rockefeller center in NY today and played with the 680. I have to say that looking at the 680 OS after using WM, the Palm seemed very "sub-par." and before anyone starts on their tirade, please keep in mind that I was a devout Palm user and originally only left because of Wi-fi. I was happy with PalmOS and I get the concept of "simpler" look, but just as powerful. use. But now I am very happy with WM and absolutely love my Tytn. I would say that if Palm had Direct Push capability on it's OS through Versamail, etc., it would be able to compete with PPC Phone Edition and the Smartphone OS. I know a lot of people looking to have Direct Push capability on their phones and not "pull." I think if Palm was able to license DP to somehow work with the PalmOS they could get a lot more users.
    Last edited by waynew73; 12/07/2006 at 09:25 PM.
    Waynew73

(m105 => IIIxe => VIIx =>Tungsten T => i705 => Treo 600 => T-MO MDA => HTC Tytn = HTC Tilt & T-MO Dash => HTC TouchPro & HTC S740 => Palm Pre)
    Man, I've spent a lot of money and time on these things!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast