Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    First Nokia smartphones, and now Sony Ericsson's music phones. Palm phone designs are just looking too outdated for me recently, compared to what else is out there. Except for the E61 which is almost the same, just thinner(it's the OS I like).

What do I do? I will probably try the 750, but if it ends up sitting in drawer a lot like the 650, is this a sign that Palm is no longer for me?

You'd think I'd want a sensible phone like the Treo full time, but not for at least half of this year. The cool "weekend" phones are getting better and better.

Pretty packed for such a little guy, isn't it?

http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...=pp1&pid=10376

I'm only speaking in terms of mainly phone usage. Of course the Treo is an excellent PDA too, but now SE has thrown in a whole lot of smartphone features on some of it's fun phones. I even have voice command and didn't even know the phone had it until I looked through the menu.

I think my new handle matches me perfectly.
    I can't stay loyal to only the Treo with all the other offerings out there.

I must say though that you probably will not be able to use most SE fun phones if you conduct serious business with your phone most of the time. But they're great for those days when you are wanting to go lighter and have no need to edit documents and answer tons of email.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/05/2006 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Icon change.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It all depends on what suits your needs. Personally it doesn't do anything for me:

1.) No 3G data
    2.) No keyboard
    3.) Screen not enough resolution for web browsing
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3.    #3  
    That's why I use the term "weekend phone" for those types of phones. It's a Walkman phone. It's obviously not a true business phone, but for light stuff(phone, SMS, quick notes, quick IM, one or two emails) it works fine. Obviously no document editing and viewing. One of the newer SE phones has an RSS reader. SE has some 3G fun phones, but for Europe/Asia. We get shortchanged everytime.

The Treo can't be replaced for what it does except by the TyTN and the like.

I'm just saying the Treo's design is getting too stale for me, for some reason.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    I was also able to drag and drop files directly onto the phone and/or memory card. Very convenient!

nice device and looks like it would offer some fun. i do like what they're doing with the smaller and alternative devices and it's apparent that others are starting to notice them too. as for me, i still prefer the Pearl for all uses, all the time. pocketability and size are key for me, and when a device of its size can do most all Treo functions it makes most sense not to carry a brick.

fun phone, Lady Diva
    How about the Nokia N95? HSDPA, Wifi, BT 2 EDR, A2DP, GPS, USB 2, dedicated music player controls, stereo speakers, 5 M pix cam, 'near DVD quality' video; it even has a 3.5 mm headphone jack - hurrah! If you can live without a QWERTY at the w/ends, it's probably about as much fun as can be packed into a 90 cc at this point in time.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/..._5MP_Camer.php

Now if they could just make an E61 successor with even close to the same specs...
    The Blackjack really has my interest peaked. Tweak it a bit and add SBSH's Facade and Papyrus and I might just be able to live with the smartphone OS.

The only downside (bummer) is that no-one has really been able to activate a voice dial directly from a BT headset yet. Fix that (along with delays in the 750 on Cingular), and I might just end up with 21...oops...Blackjack.
    PDA Lineage: Handspring Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Casio EM-500, Casio E-200, HP Jornada 568, IPAQ 1910,IPAQ 4150,Ipaq 2750 (with Moto Razr V3), Imate K-Jam,Treo 750,HTC Touch Cruise,HTC Touch Diamond(US)
    You know... looking at pictures of the 680 it doesn't look much different from the 650. But holding it in your hand, comparing it to the 650, it feels different. Smaller and thinner.

The Sony is an interesting phone but I couldn't see going back to a keypad after using a full keyboard. I am constantly amazed to see kids text message as fast as they do with keypads.
  9.    #9  
    Believe it or not, but I have gone back and forth between the two. As long as the phone has T9, I'm usually fine with that. Keyboards are a nice luxury for sure, but newer keypads aren't necessarily as horrible as they used to be.

10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    How about the Nokia N95? HSDPA, Wifi, BT 2 EDR, A2DP, GPS, USB 2, dedicated music player controls, stereo speakers, 5 M pix cam, 'near DVD quality' video; it even has a 3.5 mm headphone jack - hurrah! If you can live without a QWERTY at the w/ends, it's probably about as much fun as can be packed into a 90 cc at this point in time.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/..._5MP_Camer.php

Now if they could just make an E61 successor with even close to the same specs...
    I'm still a Nokia fan! I like the N73, N75 and the N91 too, as well as the ones I have.

I read somewhere a new E61 sucessor is coming with black trim and a camera. My phone addiction continues, LOL!

Weekend phone? I just don't get it.

Why would I not want my full contact list, access to the web and personal email, games, etc., etc., etc. My Treo is with me constantly, at work and at play. I use it to check movie listings, look up an old friend I haven't spoken to in ages, make shopping lists, surf the web or play Bejewled while waiting for a table at a restaurant, check maps and directions, and more. I'd feel lost if I switched to a "feature phone" on weekends. Heck, I use my Treo more for personal stuff than I do for work.

As for "stale" design, it's just because you see it every day. Other phones are new, and "exciting" looking, just because you don't see them every day. 6 months from now, they'll look boring, too. The difference is that in 6 months the Treo will still work better, and be easier to use, than most of these newer phones. I mostly believe in "form follows function" and have yet to see another PDA-phone that functions as well as a Treo.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I have always been a function over form toad.

My Treo 650 (12/25 = Treo700P) does everything I want it to. Do I want it to look like a Razr? Only if it can still do it all and maintain battery life. . . .

As stated in another thread, my usage and needs are:

Calendar
    Tasks
    Contacts
    E-Mail (Work and Home)
    News, Weather, Sports, Movies, 411, Maps (Handmark Express)
    Calculator
    WEB
    Link to work Main-Frame (MobileTS)
    Reference -- Dictionary, Medical Dictionary, Movie Guide, SPN/ENG Dictionary
    Alarm Clock, Timer, Stop Watch, Time Zones
    iPod
    Pocket Quicken
    Business Info on spreadsheets
    Snapshots and Dad's wallet photo gallery
    Quick "honey-do" notes in DiddleBug
    EZ-Convert utility
    Solitaire, Chess, Checkers
    3 to 5 Text messages a month

Oh yeah, that phone thingie. (<300 Minutes)

My Treo is with me 24/7 . . . . on my hip . . . . or on the nightstand.
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/30/2006 at 09:54 AM.
  13.    #13  
    The design is getting old IMO. I no longer use it everyday as I stated before. I haven't used it in a while, and it still looks older compared to the other phones.

I actually like the E70 and this phone better than the Treo, design wise, as of now. Of course the Treo would lose some usefulness if it had the same design. Usability of the Treo is undisputed. I will probably try the 750, but that could be my last Treo.

Ahh, this is the rub . . .

You want phone first. .

I want PDA first. . .

15.    #15  
    Actually I need a balance between the two. The Treo fits the bill, I'm just losing interest in the design. I want to see in-store test models of the 750 to see if I can go back to the Treo most of the time.

Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    The whole "weekend/alternate" phone thing has been very popular in Europe and Asia for years. With a gsm system, you can have as many different phones as you can afford. Two good examples of why this isn't such a bad idea: 1. you normally carry your pda phone with you, but it's a pda phone, so it's a little bulky. You have a formal dinner party to go to, but you either don't want to look like a dork wearing a tux and a phone on you hip - or you are wearing a nice evening gown and want to carry a clutch. A pda phone has no place in that situation. 2. you are going on a short but brutal mountain bike ride. You obviously have limited space to carry extra weight and items. Not to mention, a bad spill will cost you a pda phone AND leave you without a way to dial 911 (believe me, been there). A pda phone has no place here, either. These cool, feature packed, but small phones definitely have a place. I love my 8125, but I won't take it biking. I hate being dressed for a nice dinner party and having it weighing down a pocket. I'm glad to have an alternative for that 5% of the time when I want a cell phone, but don't want to deal with more...
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
    I'm an in-the-pocket phone kind of guy, and I have to agree the Treo is starting to get old after all these years. The antenna is really annoying now, especially if I want to listen to the occasional song/podcast on the device, in the pocket it is unbearable as there's no way to keep it straight.

I suppose the 750 resolves the above & tackles weight/thickness issues I'm starting to get snippy about, but I'm not thrilled about the historically shoddy GSM reception around here (NYC of all places) and am addicted to Sprint's very attractive voice+data+sms plans
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm still a Nokia fan! I like the N73, N75 and the N91 too, as well as the ones I have.

I read somewhere a new E61 sucessor is coming with black trim and a camera. My phone addiction continues, LOL!
    Successor is supposedly the E61i. Looks nice:

http://www.s60.estranky.cz/clanky/co...y-a-fotoaparat

although I do wish they'd get rid of the pop port and go with mini-USB and a standard 3.5 mm jack like the E62. Real question is though - what's on the inside? HSDPA and decent GPS would probably be enough to get me to splash the cash. Symbian/S60v3 has been a real revelation. Great UI plus stability, multi-tasking and UMTS support - sort of what Palm OS could have been if it hadn't all gone horribly wrong.
    Perry, you're supposed to wait until Christmas to open the box.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Diva I know what you mean but there is nothing much out there. Maybe if Nokia price their N phone down to the competitors level.

Say all you want about Treo but Palm is the only company that still use the "good" memory card format.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast