Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Well I certainly won't be going back to the Palm OS. But I'm getting somewhat tired of the form factor too. We'll see if the 750 will do anything for me. And yes the w810i is meant for a different purpose, it's a music phone with a few smartphone functions, nothing serious. I have several phones for different purposes. The smartphones are definitely more efficient but I'm now looking for compromise in function and form factor. The E70 is a very good start. And I'm still waiting for the N75 and N73 to be officially available in Nokia stores here. Or maybe I'll just order from importers. But both phones have a smartphone OS and a smaller, slimmer form factor.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Hi, I'm thinking of getting the the 810i for my daughter for Christmas. I think all she'll use it for is phone calls, text messages and music and I'd be really grateful for any views on how the device does in these areas. General comments very welcome but comments on any of the specifics below would be great!

1) Reception - ok even if signal is a bit weak?

2) Voice quality.

3) Key pad - ok for texting?

4) Music quality.

5) UI/ease of use - especially of the music player.

6) Ease of transfer of music to the phone - from a PC and/or a Mac. Does it mount as a USB drive? My daughter had a Sony MD player a few years ago that had the most horrid desktop software, I certainly hope things have improved since then.

7) Battery life.

Alternatively, anyone have any suggestions for a different music phone in the same price bracket? Nokia N series, SE 850i, 950i are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38 View Post
    P.Diva
    However, I am curious about the impending Apple iPhone.
    Oh yeah
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol View Post
    Hi, I'm thinking of getting the the 810i for my daughter for Christmas. I think all she'll use it for is phone calls, text messages and music and I'd be really grateful for any views on how the device does in these areas. General comments very welcome but comments on any of the specifics below would be great!

1) Reception - ok even if signal is a bit weak?

2) Voice quality.

3) Key pad - ok for texting?

4) Music quality.

5) UI/ease of use - especially of the music player.

6) Ease of transfer of music to the phone - from a PC and/or a Mac. Does it mount as a USB drive? My daughter had a Sony MD player a few years ago that had the most horrid desktop software, I certainly hope things have improved since then.

7) Battery life.

Alternatively, anyone have any suggestions for a different music phone in the same price bracket? Nokia N series, SE 850i, 950i are too expensive.
    Honestly, I think Nokia is still better than SE. I'd snap up the N73 if I could!!

Looking on Howard Forums, reception and voice quality vary on the w810i. Earpiece volume is also on the low side. In my experience, what they say on Howard is true. Usually Nokia is solid. Which is one main reason I'd take Nokia. Although they also say an unbranded phone is better sounding. I have a Cingular branded one.

Keypad works great for me!

I haven't listened to any music yet, believe it or not.

The SE interface is great and intuitive. But I'd still like Symbian better.

And yes, this phone is a drag and drop USB drive. I loaded everything onto the phone and memory stick that way.

Battery life with a lot of talking, I think 2 days max. I'd have to use it as a main phone for a while, to be sure.

I think Howard users will have more details on features, they have a whole SE forum.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I got enough dealing with one phone!!!!

I do have to admit that when I had the 650 with the big Seido Holster, that there were times I wanted a slim RAZR like device to carry around.

What do you do if you enter a calendar item or a contact on your "weekend" phone, how do you then transfer it to your Week phone?

[QUOTE=The Phone Diva;1140710][COLOR="Navy"]Well I certainly won't be going back to the Palm OS. But I'm getting somewhat tired of the form factor too. We'll see if the 750 will do anything for me. And yes the w810i is meant for
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
  6.    #46  
    Calender items that are important are only entered on the smartphone I'm using at the time. Contacts, it depends. Important contacts are entered on all phones. Some are only on certain phones. I use different phones for different purposes.

So you are now on the 750? I'll see about the 750, Palm's last chance to draw me back in. They still want $700-800 everywhere I look though. If I have to spend that much to test a phone, I have to be sure it's really the one for me. Even the 8525 can be found for less!

There's many ways to look at it.

If form over function is your cup of tea, treo is the way to go. Funcy=tion over form? You might want to try the 8525. That is the phone I currently own, and have no complaints. The treo is better one-handed, by far, but the 8525 isn't CRIPPLED w/one-handed use they way the 6700 was.

As far as a music phone, how do you like the SE? Why now just put mp3's on your smartphone's memory card and listen? I never listen to music through my phone, so I can't interject here.

I have a RAZR that I use when I go out, and the 8525 90 percent of the time. Other than spotty 3G in my area, I must say this device is great. Took me a while to get used to the slider again, but I did.

The design is great in my opinion, but bottom line anyone who sees a smartphone that isn't partof the "club" always thinks they look like bricks. I heard it with my 700wx as well.

I guess the main thing here is that you are asking for our advice, but we can't tell you what you're looking for! I can't live with a smartphone that doesn't have UMTS capability (like the Nokia), so thats out of the question. I am thinking about the 750, but I'd like to use wifi in the spotty 3G areas too, so I'm not sure. The 8525 covers all of this, but lacks the one-handed ease of the treo. But I definitely do NOT miss that itty bitty 240 x 240 screen!

And my opinion? If you can put a pocket PC in the same sentence as a PHONE THAT PLAYS MUSIC, then we are of drastically different philosophies! LOL
  8.    #48  
    Actually what I was really asking is: do you think I'm done with Palm, due to the fact that I've moved on to so many other phones with decent functions and different design? Or am I just "cheating"?

Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    That is the one thing I need from a device, and the Treo does it.

This becomes most noticeable when travelling away from home, and having to carry all the separate chargers for the different devices (phone, iPod, laptop). Especially so when in Europe, as you have to take a 220/110v adaptor, so can only charge one device at a time. I don't think I'll ever go back to having multiple devices.

Another thing that I've noticed - pants with lots of pockets (dockers mobile pocket half way down the leg) have gone out of fashion and are harder to find. Plus I can't wear "cargo" pants at work (too casual). And I simply refuse to carry a "man bag". So, faced with only 4 usable pockets, it's wallet/keys/handkercief/treo. No room for anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Actually what I was really asking is: do you think I'm done with Palm, due to the fact that I've moved on to so many other phones with decent functions and different design? Or am I just "cheating"?

Sorry I didn't make that clearer.
    I don't think so at all. I think you are tired of the treo's LOOK, because they haven't changed it in YEARS, but the first major change they make to it will get you back into it again. Sounds like you're just bored!
    I have been a long time Palm user and I feel like most in this thread/forum. I feel a little bored because of all the great devices coming out that will most certainly give Palm a run for it's money. But to keep it honest and realistic, are the Palm Treo's really falling behind? I have moved on to other devices (currently using the 8525) and still find myself looking over my shoulder to my Treo 750v sitting on my desk. I even swapped my SIM card last night to check it out again. The fact is that Palm really got something right. I am not sure what it is, but it's right. It has been a magnet for me personally. I really do like all the new devices out there now (Blackjack, Q, 8525, Treo family, etc.). I guess @LittlePat and @The Phone Dive feel the same way as I do, or at least share the same perspective. Would I go back to my Treo 750v? maybe. Would I buy another Palm in the future? Most definitely. I guess time and innovation will tell, does size matter? Is WiFi really that important, even with all these networks getting faster?

Who the heck knows...I just know I currently own two great devices that I can keep myself busy with. .....until the next cool one comes out.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim View Post
    I got enough dealing with one phone!!!!

What do you do if you enter a calendar item or a contact on your "weekend" phone, how do you then transfer it to your Week phone?
    I keep everything synchronized between the Treo and RAZR using Outlook on the desktop. Both phones sync with Outlook using their respective tools (Palm Desktop and Motorola Phone Tools). Nokia's have PC Suite, and SE's have their own software that talks to Outlook.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Honestly, I think Nokia is still better than SE. I'd snap up the N73 if I could!!
    Phone Diva, Thanks for posting your comments. I'd love to be able to get her an N73 but unfortunately the best price I can find is almost twice that of the W810i. It's also bit bigger and heavier and I have my doubts that she would get enough out of the added functionality to really make it worth while. On the other hand as I have an S60v3 device at least I'd be able to help her with any problems
  14.    #54  
    Yeah it's expensive. I can't find it for less than $470, which is a bit high. The music edition is over $500. But I have to say I could get more use out of it than the SE w810i if I were forced to go back to only a few phones, due to the Symbian OS. SE has is it's generic cool-looking java OS, BUT not useful as a full smartphone.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    After using both 750 and TyTn....I've (pda guy too)....ended up with the 8525 and have never thought twice about it.
    I'll never settle for a smaller screen...the slide out is truthfully a non factor for me....I've built it to as one handed as can be...AND I LOVE it!
    BUT, an updated E61 as mentioned..or the hsdpa scroll-wheeled updated Dash I read about (2Q)..would have me lookin real hard.... but for now...the 8525 is my device.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockky View Post
    After using both 750 and TyTn....I've (pda guy too)....ended up with the 8525 and have never thought twice about it.
    I'll never settle for a smaller screen...the slide out is truthfully a non factor for me....I've built it to as one handed as can be...AND I LOVE it!
    BUT, an updated E61 as mentioned..or the hsdpa scroll-wheeled updated Dash I read about (2Q)..would have me lookin real hard.... but for now...the 8525 is my device.
    Where can I find a detailed review of the 8525 as compared to the Nokia E61? Anyone?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Is there a Thread or something out there on One-Handed Tips?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Is there a Thread or something out there on One-Handed Tips?
    Not to just bounce you around, here is a link that has tons of information on the Hermes (TyTN/8525) device. I pretty much made my 8525 one handed by installing alot of Palm features (Palm Photo Dialing, etc.) Other apps I installed from the 750 ROM are Palm threaded messaging and Palm Google Search.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=305

http://ppcgeeks.com/htc-hermes-f29.html
    Last edited by brmcguire; 12/08/2006 at 04:02 PM.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    MacUser
    Now i'm talkn bout an upgraded E61i I think it was called...if it was wifi and 3G capable (and a few other things)...it'd be infinitely sweeter and worth a second look.
    as it is it falls a quite short of the 8525 (for me).
    MacUser
    Now i'm talkn bout an upgraded E61i I think it was called...if it was wifi and 3G capable (and a few other things)...it'd be infinitely sweeter and worth a second look.
    as it is it falls a quite short of the 8525 (for me).
    Is Nokia actually putting quad-band radios in these too so that folks aren't so hampered with being stuck in certain geographies??
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast