Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Honestly, I wonder if that's a good or bad thing that only Palm isn't changing with the times.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT View Post
    Perry, you're supposed to wait until Christmas to open the box.

Maybe.
  3.    #23  
    Speaking of Christmas, which one first? The white w810i(I got the black) or the 750? I can always get the other for my birthday in January.

I was thinking maybe I'll let the bugs get figured out with the $700 750. Since the w810i is actually almost 1 yr.old, all it's bugs are known. Plus it can be found for at or under $300 unlocked in some places. And SE charges $350 if you go through Sony Style.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'm getting one of these W810's too (black edition) for Christmas. My brother visited recently and let me try his K750 (which is a kissing cousin of the W810). I was blown away by the camera! It takes decent, usable 2.0MP pictures. Quality is about equal to a digicam from 2002 but they's fine with me. I used to have a SE T610 and it made me remember how much I liked the Sony Ericsson UI too - its fast and intuitive. mp3 playback sounded better than any other music device I've tried (ipod mini, ipod video, creative Zen nano, treo 650). I could hear every pluck of the guitar in 'Hotel California' but I'm sure the included in-ear noise isolating earbuds helped. Coupled with a Gmail and Google Maps midlets this could take its place as my primary handset. The only major drawback is the wimpy PIM (Calendar/Todo) suite. It syncs to Outlook but the views and input are very limited. Anyone know of a more robust calendar app?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Speaking of Christmas, which one first? The white w810i(I got the black) or the 750? I can always get the other for my birthday in January.

I was thinking maybe I'll let the bugs get figured out with the $700 750. Since the w810i is actually almost 1 yr.old, all it's bugs are known. Plus it can be found for at or under $300 unlocked in some places. And SE charges $350 if you go through Sony Style.
    LOL LT(FKA), what does your shoe collection look like?

Get the white one! I thought about getting the K750 because I prefer the joystick and the camera lens cover, but you'd be giving up 850MHz and EDGE. Since I travel alot I need the ability to roam every now and again, so the lack of 850MHz was a deal breaker for the 850MHz. The joystick tends to break after repeated usage too. Both my bro and his gf had to get their joysticks repaired after about 10mths usage.

If you buy the W810 from plemix.com they're including a 1GB MS Pro instead of the 512MB you see everywhere else. I think they're asking $287.

One problem I've heard with the W810 is the hissing when playing back music. Some people report experiencing it while others don't. Do you hear it on your W810?
    some of you should try out the Pearl or comparable...does it all except for editing. i'm not saying it's the end-all pda solution but i am saying that many would be surprised with what it can do without having to carry around the super-sized treo.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    LOL LT(FKA), what does your shoe collection look like?

You mean my handbag collection.
    Although don't get me started thinking about shoes!

9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    some of you should try out the Pearl or comparable...does it all except for editing. i'm not saying it's the end-all pda solution but i am saying that many would be surprised with what it can do without having to carry around the super-sized treo.
    I would have, but there has never been a need for me to use BB's service.

correct and i do forget that. we have blackberry servers at work which do help the cause but in the end, the included software (if u don't have a BES) offers the same push-type email service than that of the smartphone/treo devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    I definitely intend to pick up a Pearl once my T-Mobile account is eligible for upgrade next year. I've heard that the 1.3MP camera isn't great - a higher resolution blurry version of the Treo camera? What is your experience? I also like to use the video recorder a lot to capture ad hoc moments so thats why I'm looking at the W810. Btw, how is the calendar/PIM features in the Pearl? Is there a good weekly or agenda view? Can the monthly view show icons? Does it sync with Lotus Notes out of the box? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    I like the design of the Pearl but the Blackberry OS seems to have a smaller software library. At the very least it doesn't have my 2 must have applications: Repligo and Isilo.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  13.    #33  
    Cingular has released the Pearl. All I need now is to look for an unlocked at a decent price. I found one, but I think they wanted too much.

Can't find one under $500 at this time. If I have to pay over $500, might as well wait for the 750.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 12/02/2006 at 07:11 PM.

P.Diva

I like the look of it, but I need a PDA. However, I am curious about the impending Apple iPhone.
    hadn't given much consideration to the pearl as I have never been a BB fan. what does it have that the 8525 does not?
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
  16.    #36  
    Gotta admit that 3G is the way things are going and any phone that doesn't have it is actually a bit outdated. The Pearl is less equipped than the 8525. It's the size and style that people are interested in.

correct. the size is phenomenal as is the styling. but in truth, the thing does everything ALL OF MY TREOS did for me. what sets me apart from many of you? i'm not into the 3rd party software with the exception of Goodlink (Treos) and i don't need to "edit" documents when out of the office or around town (i like to carry my laptop when vacationing or on biz travel as i can't live with a small screen/keyboard during those times).

the smaller devices work incredibly well and without much give-up, at least for me.
    I had the opportunity to try out the Pearl, on oalvarez's recommendation and I was very impressed. Within 3 days of use I was typing as fast as I could on my Treo. Surprisingly, the interface was intuitive and within a day I felt very comfortable. Unfortunately, I had a disagreement with T-Mobile UK and decided to cancel my contract and return the phone. I'm now back with Orange and although I got an exceptional deal with them (I got a SE W950i which I gave to my wife) I really miss the Pearl. I picked up a Treo 680 last week and yes it is a slight improvement over the 650. It would be wrong for me to say I'm disappointed because I knew exactly what I was getting but I still feel a little let down. I've come to realise that the Palm OS is showing it's age and although it has served me well it's good to explore other options. Hopefully Orange will offer the Pearl sooner rather than later.....
    good to hear. what irks me are those who simply think that the Treo is the only device that can manage contacts, calendars and the like as if their life couldn't go on without one. i've been fortunate enough (i suppose like Lady Diva and some of you) to own/test many of the non-Treo devices (Pearl, MotoQ, 6600, i730) while also having owned all the treos (600 through current, both palm and wm) so i feel as though i can make at least some rational comments and comparisons, given my needs. portability (before work, lunch, after work, weekends) and battery life (3000+ transmissions per day) are important to me so that is the basis criteria for my selection. to want to carry a much heavier and larger device it would have to offere features and benefits exponentially greater than the smaller and lighter ones. i know that some of you absolutely depend on your Treos and i think that's cool, but i also get the impression that some others around here like to own one because it "keeps them company."

they're all good and i understand we all have different needs. i simply prefer the smaller and less heavy ones.
    I'm just saying the Treo's design is getting too stale for me, for some reason.
    Confused. You mention design and talk features. Is it the ID/form factor or is it the OS? I think they've been refreshing the ID, but the form factor has remained very similar... probably because it works for a PDA phone -- and you see lots of reinforcement of this notion in forum responses. But the weakest link in Palm's chain is it's OS... that problem *must* be addressed if Palm is to remain a serious player.

That said, the other direction I hear the thinking going is that maybe Palm needs to branch out into more than just PDA phones? PDA has been their middle name, but maybe they would benefit from diversification? Not sure. Or maybe even just put out some good smart phones. Reducing feature set would make it much easier to adjust form factor, IMHO.

I kind of giggle a little when I hear people say "well, sure it doesn't do as much... but it's smaller!" Sounds like a different device for a different purpose to me. If workloads change, then you'd still be either device swapping or sticking with something like little more brick-like throughout.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast