1.    #1  
    Like I said in another Apple iPhone thread back in October, this will be Apple's killer app for the iPhone:

m.news.com/2163-1039_3-6138573.html?tag=st.lh

If they can integrate this seamlessly into iTunes for the non-techy to be able to use, it effectively eliminates the on-board device memory limitation problem.

Look for this when the iPhone launches.
    Downloading the whole library is slow even if you are on EVDO network. It takes me about 15 minutes to download a 70MB podcast. Just think how long does it take to sync a 1GB playlist.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    The limitation here will be the network providers willing to accept their networks being clogged up with people streaming music. Given verizon's "unlimited actually means 5GB/mo" policy, I can see a lot of business customers getting PO'ed when their call is dropped because someone else is streaming music. Verizon (or anyone else) is not silly enough to jeapordize their core business in this way.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eTreo View Post
    Like I said in another Apple iPhone thread back in October, this will be Apple's killer app for the iPhone:
    I doubt it. Do that many people want to listen to songs on their cell phones? I dont.
    Perhaps not as popular in the US, but in Europe and Asia. SE and Nokia have quite a few music phones on the market. We'll get on the bandwagon late as usual, I'm sure.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    The limitation here will be the network providers willing to accept their networks being clogged up with people streaming music. Given verizon's "unlimited actually means 5GB/mo" policy, I can see a lot of business customers getting PO'ed when their call is dropped because someone else is streaming music. Verizon (or anyone else) is not silly enough to jeapordize their core business in this way.

Things could be changing. Cingular has a music service. And I think it was speculated that the iphone will be GSM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Orb does this for free already (wm phones of course), and there is a program called "Mercora" that does the same with more decoration/better interface, but is not free.
  8.    #8  
    Yea, I know about Orb, Winamp, etc., but the avearage "Joe iPod" isn't going to know how to set those up. If it is a seamless part of iTunes on their PC, I suspect Joe iPod would find that to be a pretty cool feature.

Regarding bandwith restrictions, like Phone Diva says, consumer demand here in the US will evetually catch up and drive the carriers to completely roll out their 3G networks and get going on 4G.

Technological innovation might help out too. Is it possible to compress (zip?) the playlist file size as it leaves the PC and then decompress it on the handheld to play it?

I guess we'll see...
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Perhaps not as popular in the US, but in Europe and Asia.
    Well, I am in Europe and I don't see it.

But that may be because I don't spend my time with groups of kids. That'll be the area this will emanate from, just like texting did: they all want a phone, and they all want a music player. They'll certainly go for a device that does both.
    I think those phones are already out. SE and Nokia music phones are doing quite well. I hope Apple isn't a bit late to the music phone game, like MSFT was with the Zune in the MP3 player market. We will see.